OEM Packaged Counterfeit Sensors on EBAY - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Packaged Counterfeit Sensors on EBAY

Hi Guys. First post. Pleased to meet you.
I recently picked up a 2005 Maxima SE as scrap for $300. It's was sitting dead on a NYC street for over a year. The owner was told it needed a transmission. I bought it just for the leather seats to stick in my old Wrangler, then sell the rest to a local junk yard.
Turns out it is too good to junk, and I have been considering a more comfortable car for a daily driver. The old jeep is fun, but not a good daily driver.
So investigating transmission issues and procedures, I kept reading the same thing over and over. Crank and cam sensors.

When I picked it up, I jumped the old battery and drove it home, it showed all the signs of a bad cam/crank sensor. Slamming out of park, no acceleration, all three warning lights. Service, Traction and Slip. It felt like I was dragging the brake. Then at home I put a new battery in it. It started and ran great for about an hour and no warning lights. When I reset the key, all the problems came back, and the warning lights came back. Definitely not a transmission problem.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:
So I ordered all 3 sensors on Ebay. I know enough not to use Chinese crap when it comes to electronics, so I made sure to get Nissan branded. But according to everything I've read, The OEM sensors should have a logo stamped into them. The sensors I received came in Nissan zip bags, but have NO stamping. Are they real? It's sad, you can't trust anything anymore.
Here is the Ebay link to what I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pcs-set-C...AAAOSw99tcGM1T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on the VQ 🙏🏽 I had purchased a knock sensor for my 03 maxima from eBay at full price from a seller that was a dealer. The bag came with a part number, the part said “Nissan/Part number” and I received a dealer receipt. If yours does not have a stamp, I’d question its authenticity because Nissan puts their part numbers on most of their things, including sensors.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-29-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Also, the seller has negative reviews for counterfeit items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A967F48A-5C3A-4A37-BBEF-8039EF7488CD_1556574386876.png
Views:	10
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	92809  
post #4 of 9 Old 04-29-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It did have part of the corresponding part number printed in white tiny digits bot no logo.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I missed the fact that the seller is in China, but shipping from an American warehouse. I wrote him, and said I think the parts are fake because of the missing stamp. He wrote back that Nissan has plants all over the world. Some don't get stamped. He offered a half refund.
I don't believe him. I don't trust anything associated with China. I don't want to waste an hour putting these in, only to get stuck in a month.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
It depends on the source factory. China now is so big that they have the same trouble as us, they have crap factories that put out garbage, and they also have leading edge factories that 'can' supply the rest of the world with MUCH better parts. Look at their freakin' jet fighters, they are super hi-tech. I firmly believe the crap factory outputs are steered to the US on purpose and give it five seconds thought to know exactly why.

Take one where the issue shows up faster than spit........wheel bearings used on FWD cars. You buy from certain 'names' there as being the best but some of those parts are made in China too, the key is the name AND the price, if you buy the typical $20-$25 bearing you are getting crap regardless of the brand, if that brand goes to $50 then likely the better one even if it comes from China.

And, just WHICH China? If the part comes from Taiwan then typically it is better but not necessarily.

Don't kid yourself, Nissan buys source out of China all day long, it's just from better factories. Ghozn while there would have insisted on that.

We carp about Chinese quality but WE created that as well as destroying the manufacturing base in the US, WE are the ones that demand the cheapest product and the Chinese are better at supplying that en masse than anyone else in the world.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your response. You are absolutely correct. I made your exact point at the Jeep forums a few months ago concerning Chinese auto fuses starting car fires. My example was that Nike Sneaker will sub-contract a random Chinese factory to make a run of $300 sneakers made to Nike's highest quality specs. The next day that same shoe factory might make a run of $20 garbage sneakers for Walmart with no quality control at all. The major name-brand auto fuses, Buss and Littlehaus, are both made in China to the highest specs. But unfortunately, there is far more dangerous junk coming out of China.
The thing is, these sensor's packaging states made in Japan. In hindsight, I know damn well these are not genuine. One sensor should be $80. I got all three for 50. From a Chinese seller, no less. idid not realize he was Chinese when I bought. I also hadn't realized he had negative feedback for counterfeit parts. Even the packaging is wrong, they should have been in boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
It depends on the source factory. China now is so big that they have the same trouble as us, they have crap factories that put out garbage, and they also have leading edge factories that 'can' supply the rest of the world with MUCH better parts. Look at their freakin' jet fighters, they are super hi-tech. I firmly believe the crap factory outputs are steered to the US on purpose and give it five seconds thought to know exactly why.

Take one where the issue shows up faster than spit........wheel bearings used on FWD cars. You buy from certain 'names' there as being the best but some of those parts are made in China too, the key is the name AND the price, if you buy the typical $20-$25 bearing you are getting crap regardless of the brand, if that brand goes to $50 then likely the better one even if it comes from China.

And, just WHICH China? If the part comes from Taiwan then typically it is better but not necessarily.

Don't kid yourself, Nissan buys source out of China all day long, it's just from better factories. Ghozn while there would have insisted on that.

We carp about Chinese quality but WE created that as well as destroying the manufacturing base in the US, WE are the ones that demand the cheapest product and the Chinese are better at supplying that en masse than anyone else in the world.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Conclusion

So the seller issued a refund without need of return. There is not a doubt in my mind these parts are blatant counterfeits. If I wanted Chinese parts, I could have gotten a set of three unbranded for $18.
So I put the easiest one in first. That seems to have solved the problem. But as is, with all cheap parts. How long it lasts is anyone's guess. I'm certainly not going to wast time putting in the other two.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Giving your money back to get a good review says it all.

Beware the box issue, the Japan thing of course is an indicator.

I used to work parts and they repackage entire lines like every month in the stores, it was part of the new vendor agreement to have the parts store workers redo the packaging to get the vendor to eat another makers' parts.

We often got boxes of lower name parts that had original OEM marked parts in them from the OEMs, they don't sell all of them and some end up like that, a good way to get an OEM part at firesale prices if you trust that they weren't defect parts gotten rid of.

Why when you buy parts you ALWAYS pull them out of the box to look at part itself, you get a LOT of that. The box and part are often at odds with each other, they may even list different points of origin.

A lot of that comes from the big chains now, they have their own in house lines and draw parts from every maker in the world at some point and good ones mixed in with bad. Almost impossible to tell where many of your parts come from any longer and they don't care for you to know really. Take wearable brake friction parts, we had up to 20 different vendors putting parts in the same chain marked boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Entertainment Forums > Off Topic Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode