The LED Q&A Thread - Page 4 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 1022 Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedub View Post
any update on that new 3157?
Nothing yet...As I stated, it was a prototype bulb. They are trying to get another one in by the end of the week, and the set will go in my Alti for testing.



Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
BT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 1022 Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Thank you for your response, now I won't drive myself crazy trying to get the map light to work! As for the license plate, I just found it too bright in one spot but with the stock bulbs, it's kinda spread arcoss the whole plate area. I still like the white light though.
htsource is offline  
post #48 of 1022 Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Ah. I do <3 Ale.
 
Zyphron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Bernardino CA
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
***NEW STOP TAIL LIGHT COMING SOON***
I was at V-LEDS this evening and got to play with a new 3157 prototype bulb. The parking circuit is a bit brighter than my current bulbs, but the brake light circuit is easily 3 TIMES brighter. Unfortunately, they were only shipped ONE bulb so far, otherwise I would have stolen 2 of them.



Ok, i JUST noticed this

3156 and 3157 are Identical IIRC right? the later is just missing the extra leads and filament


I explained it In a Eariler post. but... you think its possible to run one circuit for the running lights. and another for the turns
most of it would stay the same you just have 2 more wires going from the turns and tapping onto the running lights power
some cars Incorprate Brake, Running and Turns into a single Housing (mustang comes to mind)

Kind of a similar Idea to the switchbacks you used as reverse/turn lights (brilliant btw)

Zyphron is offline  
 
post #49 of 1022 Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphron View Post
Ok, i JUST noticed this

3156 and 3157 are Identical IIRC right? the later is just missing the extra leads and filament


I explained it In a Eariler post. but... you think its possible to run one circuit for the running lights. and another for the turns
most of it would stay the same you just have 2 more wires going from the turns and tapping onto the running lights power
some cars Incorprate Brake, Running and Turns into a single Housing (mustang comes to mind)

Kind of a similar Idea to the switchbacks you used as reverse/turn lights (brilliant btw)
I answered this in another thread awhile back...Matter of fact it was the one about doing the dual reverse lights...

The answer is yes, it will work fine. Hook the low element(dimmer) lead to the parking circuit, and the high element lead for the turn signal. I was considering doing this when I was looking at SER tails...Before I came up with the current setup that I am using. In other words, the idea was always there, just implemented in a more unique way with the clear housings.

You will need to get a couple of 3157 sockets for the Altima. I had to trim one of the alignment tabs to make it all work...Actually, if you would like, I can sell you a pair of them that I have, and I can trim them for you...

For those of you who are unaware of what Zyphron is refering to about my tail lights...I have 4 reverse lights.
I replaced the 3156 turn signal socket in the aftermarket housings with a dual conductor, 3157 socket, and installed dual color (amber/white) LED bulbs.




Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 03-26-2009 at 02:12 AM.
BT is offline  
post #50 of 1022 Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Glove Box Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBAN44
Hey
Hope I'm not like the billionth person to Message ya about a question just didnt want to start a new thread.

Question:
I bought the glove box LED and various others but when I got to the glove box my light was already out its a 06 so thought it was weird that it was dead already since I rarely open it. Well I installed the LED bulb (tried both ways) and then tested it in the trunk and it turned on but still no light in the glove box. My dome light and all other lights work so guessing not a fuse.
Any Ideas???
THANKS
Also your 15% off code still works and love my LED upgrade thanks for the deals and forum help
This was moved here from a PM I got...

Anyways, the glove box light in the Gen3 cars is tied into the parking light circuit...It does not come on unless your other lights are on.


Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 03-26-2009 at 01:15 PM.
BT is offline  
post #51 of 1022 Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Is it possible to change the keyring light to white LED? I checked and 05 is different than 03 pics posted here. Can't seem to access the light without taking the whole front dash apart.

Thanks.
htsource is offline  
post #52 of 1022 Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
Is it possible to change the keyring light to white LED? I checked and 05 is different than 03 pics posted here. Can't seem to access the light without taking the whole front dash apart.

Thanks.
I have not personally done the swap in an 05, but it can be done. I took a look at the 05 service manual and it shows the 2 screws that hold that lower cover in place to be simialr to the 02-04...

Anyone with an 05/06 want to chime in on this one???


Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
BT is offline  
post #53 of 1022 Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Looks like pre 05 the key ring is part of the bottom panel according to pictures posted earlier in page 2. But it's not the case anymore with 05, the keyring portion is part of the upper dash.

I took out the lower panel anyway but no way I can access it, there's no room at all.

Unless there's a way to pop that ring out easily? Thanks.
htsource is offline  
post #54 of 1022 Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
Looks like pre 05 the key ring is part of the bottom panel according to pictures posted earlier in page 2. But it's not the case anymore with 05, the keyring portion is part of the upper dash.

I took out the lower panel anyway but no way I can access it, there's no room at all.

Unless there's a way to pop that ring out easily? Thanks.
This has been asked before...I'll stop by and see if I can rip apart my buddy's SER today and take some pics...


Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
BT is offline  
post #55 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
05/06 Key Ring Light Swap

OK, so I finally have swapped a key ring bulb in the 05/06 model. Pics shown below are of my friend's 06 SER...

I first tried to remove the lower dash panel, but had no luck getting to it that way.

Next I removed the steering wheel shroud...Still could not get to it.

Finally, I removed the gauge cover and took the screws out of the gauge bezels as well to allow them to be rotated out of the way(I did not disconnect the wires to the gauges...) This finally allowed me to get to the little bugger and get it swapped.

Here are the pics...

LOWER PANEL REMOVAL(not necessary to do, but would not hurt)
-Remove phillips screw under fuse cover

-Remove phillips screw on right, bottom side of panel

-Pop loose the bezel around the HVAC controls(pull from bottom)

-Pull lower cover loose...

STEERING WHEEL SHROUD
-Remove (3) phillips screws from bottom of shroud(easier with wheel tilted all the way up)

-No pic, but pull the two halves of the shroud apart...There are little snap in tabs on it.

GAUGE COVER AND GAUGES
-No pic, but just pull up on the cover above the gauges
-4 screws hold in the gauge cluster, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom, all phillips head
-Top 2

-Lift rubber flap to find the 2 on bottom...
Left...

Right...

-How I had screwdriver to remove bottom screws...Steering wheel is tilted all the way down.

-Rotate gauge cluster 90 degrees to left(may want to put a towel on dash)

CHANGE THE BULB
-Simply(yeah right) rotate the plug and remove...

-Change out bulb(check to make sure it is working, or flip bulb around)
WHITE!!!!!!


Reassemble car.


Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 04-01-2009 at 05:30 AM.
BT is offline  
post #56 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Thank you so much for posting the pics, very helpful. I was going to ask how to remove that steering wheel shroud as it's making some noise when going over bumpy road, this is going to be great.

I bought these from V-LED's:

2 V-LEDS 3 SMT HID WHITE WEDGE BASE DASH LIGHT BULBS 37 74

I hope they're the one for the ring?

Thanks again, I'll work on it probably in the next day or two, will post back if I can get everything piece back together

Just to make sure, the gauge cover I just have to pull up straight? Should I be worried if I use too much force to break anything

Thanks again for all your help. White LED is so much nicer.
htsource is offline  
post #57 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
And there's nothing to disconnect aside from moving the clusters around to better access the bulb?
htsource is offline  
post #58 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Watertown, MA
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
I answered this in another thread awhile back...Matter of fact it was the one about doing the dual reverse lights...

The answer is yes, it will work fine. Hook the low element(dimmer) lead to the parking circuit, and the high element lead for the turn signal. I was considering doing this when I was looking at SER tails...Before I came up with the current setup that I am using. In other words, the idea was always there, just implemented in a more unique way with the clear housings.

You will need to get a couple of 3157 sockets for the Altima. I had to trim one of the alignment tabs to make it all work...Actually, if you would like, I can sell you a pair of them that I have, and I can trim them for you...

For those of you who are unaware of what Zyphron is refering to about my tail lights...I have 4 reverse lights.
I replaced the 3156 turn signal socket in the aftermarket housings with a dual conductor, 3157 socket, and installed dual color (amber/white) LED bulbs.





Is it possible to do this with the front park/turning lights; parking lights white, turn signals amber?
abrown250 is offline  
post #59 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
Thank you so much for posting the pics, very helpful. I was going to ask how to remove that steering wheel shroud as it's making some noise when going over bumpy road, this is going to be great.

I bought these from V-LED's:

2 V-LEDS 3 SMT HID WHITE WEDGE BASE DASH LIGHT BULBS 37 74

I hope they're the one for the ring?

Thanks again, I'll work on it probably in the next day or two, will post back if I can get everything piece back together

Just to make sure, the gauge cover I just have to pull up straight? Should I be worried if I use too much force to break anything

Thanks again for all your help. White LED is so much nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
And there's nothing to disconnect aside from moving the clusters around to better access the bulb?
That bulb will work great.

As to the gauge cluster, just get it loose and rotate it up out of your way. No need to disconnect any wires from it.


Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 04-01-2009 at 05:29 AM.
BT is offline  
post #60 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown250 View Post
Is it possible to do this with the front park/turning lights; parking lights white, turn signals amber?
Yes, I already have those bulbs in my car as well. This will only work with the 05/06 Altimas that have the clear turn signal lenses, or in my case, aftermarket housings that had them for the 02-04...

This is the bulb to use, and you will need turn signal resistors
V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE/AMBER 60 M-SMT TURN SIGNAL BULBS 1157 2057

And a pic of the white parking lights...


Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap



Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
BT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > The Ultimate Lighting Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome