The LED Q&A Thread - Page 5 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^ Is there any chance you could provide any info on where to get clear lenses and all the other items needed to do this? Maybe even a write up? I'd appreciate it a lot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 AM
BLKPHNTM

I double that ^
post #63 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown250 View Post
^^^ Is there any chance you could provide any info on where to get clear lenses and all the other items needed to do this? Maybe even a write up? I'd appreciate it a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualAuraVA View Post
I double that ^

Damn you guys are demanding...LOL

Ok, here is my headlight ordeal that I went through. I ordered a set of headlights off of Ebay back in December that was for the 02-04 Altima that had the clear turn signal lenses in them and also the white reflectors instead of amber. Cost me app $125 for the pair shipped. I had asked the seller if HID kits would fit, and did not get a good answer...Decided WTF and got them anyway.

When I rec'd them, the HID bulbs would NOT fit, and I had to enlarge the opening in the housing...I ended up getting sanding dust inside of them, and had to bake open a brand new pair of lights to get it out This lead to the idea of painting the interior of the light s silver(THAT turned out good IMO). Had a few problems with resealing them that I finally got worked out, and then problems with the adjustors..., and later the cutoff when all was said and done.

To make a long story short, I recently took all the guts out of those lights and swapped them into my old OEM set(more freakin' baking...I should be a 'baker' by now...), but everything is good now.

My best suggestion would be to hit up a wrecking yard and find a couple of busted headlights from an 05-06 that have the clear lenses in them. Bake apart your housings and put them in...

Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 04-01-2009 at 04:55 AM.

post #64 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Ah. I do <3 Ale.

I have the Switchbacks in my car. they are pretty freaking Great. but Like BT said, just look on E-gay. your Bound to find the housings you need. you can get flat black or Full Chrome. both have clear reflectors and lenses. the cheapest route is to bake the Lamps apart and then just pull out the Amber Lenses then reassamble.

and BT, those Front Row LED's are so nice looking!
I need to do that!

Next check.... next check....

Last edited by Zyphron; 04-01-2009 at 07:13 AM.
post #65 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 AM

quick question...did u have to disconect the battery or anything before removin the LED for the key ring??

post #66 of 1022 Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffguy515 View Post
quick question...did u have to disconect the battery or anything before removin the LED for the key ring??
Nope...

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
post #67 of 1022 Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 AM

It's all done Got the LED in the key ring, looks so cool in white!!!

Took me more than an hour though, having a tough time taking out the screws under the gagues - didn't have a shorter handle screwdriver. And I lost one LED inside the dash somewhere while putting in the LED. Glad I got two Twisting the light out of the key ring was tough and the LED was sticking out too much, didn't know I can push in the LED into the housing deep. Once that was done, I was having a heck of a time getting it back in. The stupid steering wheel column was in the way!

There's no way I could have done it myself without the pics, thanks so much for your time and effort, much appreciated.

Now I wish I bought those LED's for the visors. Those are the last ones to be replaced and interior is all done with white LEDs
post #68 of 1022 Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM
search you n00b!!!

i think i will be purchasing some LEDs from you soon... just have to figure out what all i want..

Quote:
Originally Posted by altimatelyebony09 View Post
And damn those are some big rotor thingy magigies.
post #69 of 1022 Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
It's all done Got the LED in the key ring, looks so cool in white!!!

Took me more than an hour though, having a tough time taking out the screws under the gagues - didn't have a shorter handle screwdriver. And I lost one LED inside the dash somewhere while putting in the LED. Glad I got two Twisting the light out of the key ring was tough and the LED was sticking out too much, didn't know I can push in the LED into the housing deep. Once that was done, I was having a heck of a time getting it back in. The stupid steering wheel column was in the way!

There's no way I could have done it myself without the pics, thanks so much for your time and effort, much appreciated.

Now I wish I bought those LED's for the visors. Those are the last ones to be replaced and interior is all done with white LEDs
All I said was that I figured it out...not that it was easy...LOL Glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
Nothing yet...As I stated, it was a prototype bulb. They are trying to get another one in by the end of the week, and the set will go in my Alti for testing.
I have a pair of the new red, 3157 bulbs in my possession now...I am going to take my stepdaughter out for dinner and will install the new ones when I get home, and yes, I will take pics...

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 04-03-2009 at 01:58 AM.
post #70 of 1022 Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Ah. I do <3 Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
I have a pair of the new red, 3157 bulbs in my possession now...I am going to take my stepdaughter out for dinner and will install the new ones when I get home, and yes, I will take pics...
this is the 3x brighter bulb?
any Ideas on the set price?

if its alot brighter ill prob use it for my blinker up in the stock 3156 location (Btw I sanded down the bulb holder on the old harness and it fits pretty snug)

post #71 of 1022 Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
ahah i still haven't found out how to take out the keyring out on my 2005 altima. Anybody care to help? i mean i tried and i think i almost cracked something...

Altima 2013 2.5 SL
Mods: Racingline front strut bar, BT Led footwells front and back, Led Bar Truck lights, white/yellow switch parking lights, LED's license plate lights, LED Foglights 6000k 20watt,Installed led DRL's ,Front Stillen Lip (paint matched), Enkei T6S 18 in, Retrofitted Headlights black out with s2000 projectors.

Next mods : Mud guards, short Ram intake, 8 inch Android Radio

Chemical Guys and Mothers products to keep it clean.
post #72 of 1022 Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM

The pics from bt2580 were very helpful, how far did you get? Were you able to remove the gauges?

It took me a long time to get those screws out and without the pics there would be no way to figure out myself. Those screws are black too to make it even more complicated!
post #73 of 1022 Old 04-03-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiNaruto View Post
ahah i still haven't found out how to take out the keyring out on my 2005 altima. Anybody care to help? i mean i tried and i think i almost cracked something...
Check post #56 in this thread...

I really hate trying to photograph red lights, but here are a few of the new 3157 bulb...
It is far from a scientific method, but look at the flares created in the photo...the left side is nearly 3x as large as the right.

A couple of things about these new bulbs. In order to get the LEDs that bright, they can get quite warm. These have a thermal control circuit built in that will start to limit the output after it gets too hot. This is not to say that they will go out, they will decrease output until cooled down. At their lowest output, they are equivalent to the bulb that is in the right side of my car.

V-LEDS tested these in an Altima tail light housing(one of my old ones), and decrease started after app 8 minutes of continuous operation with the brake circuit on. I can only see being on your brakes for that long at any given time in MAJOR traffic situations, in which case, I would normally throw the car in park anyway. They cool down rather quickly too...After being run for 15 min continuously, they let it sit for app 3 minutes, and full output was restored.

This new design also uses a total of 20, really high powered LEDs, rather than the larger 60 LED design I used to have. There were only a few sets brought in to test with initially, but if all goes well, they should be available for general consumers soon...

And before anyone asks, IDK what pricing will be for them yet...When they are in stock, I will post availability and price.

B

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 04-03-2009 at 02:21 PM.
post #74 of 1022 Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
BT
Super Modder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, as it turns out, the new 3157 IS available...20 sets showed up today, and they will have 250 more next week...
NEW IMPROVED RED 3157 V-LEDS 7W HIGH POWER 20 LED BRAKE LIGHT BULBS 3156

Also, thay have a new 4 led DE3175 bulb for our dome lights. These use 4 (1/2watt) diodes, and are really nice looking.

As I have stated before, part of my sponsorship with V-LEDS is testing new products, and there have been a few recently that we said no to...

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
post #75 of 1022 Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 AM
Ah. I do <3 Ale.

woot woot looks like ill be picking up some lights when i get back home

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > The Ultimate Lighting Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode