LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista View Post
Are you running a wiring harness with the HID kit?

HID wiring harnesses are really good for eliminating errors for HID kits. IF you don't have one already you should definitely buy one.

DDM tuning kits once used to be good but now I've heard an overwhelming amount of reviews that they suck. You should look at theretrofitsource's HID kits. They're more expensive but you get what you paid for. The warranty, the service, the product quality are all really good and there aren't many issues.

Or you can go with some OEM matsushita/ denso ballasts
I may look into getting an HID kit from thetretofitsource, i read that they're based out of Atlanta Georgia, which is just a couple hours from where I live. Do you know if they do the HID projector install there? My lights are the OEM halogen projectors, so i was probably gonna try to get them to install an HID projector if they do it there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw4bama02 View Post
I may look into getting an HID kit from thetretofitsource, i read that they're based out of Atlanta Georgia, which is just a couple hours from where I live. Do you know if they do the HID projector install there? My lights are the OEM halogen projectors, so i was probably gonna try to get them to install an HID projector if they do it there.
Yeah they do retrofits there but keep in mind their prices will be pretty high for it.

Since you already have halogen proejctors, you can try adding a clear lens on top and see if that increases your output.

But best option like you mentioned is to swap out the projector.

You should email TRS directly now and ask them what they would believe to be the best option for you. Sometimes some projectors could even be a direct swap. they'd know which one is best though.

If you're going for a general retrofit then I would recommend:

Rx 350, rx 330 (modded by someone named green kouki on HIDPLANET)
Acura TL (probably too big for your headlight)
FX-R 3.0s
Mini D2s 3.0s (they're being launched in the coming week)

post #33 of 38 Old 12-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista View Post
Yeah they do retrofits there but keep in mind their prices will be pretty high for it.

Since you already have halogen proejctors, you can try adding a clear lens on top and see if that increases your output.

But best option like you mentioned is to swap out the projector.

You should email TRS directly now and ask them what they would believe to be the best option for you. Sometimes some projectors could even be a direct swap. they'd know which one is best though.

If you're going for a general retrofit then I would recommend:

Rx 350, rx 330 (modded by someone named green kouki on HIDPLANET)
Acura TL (probably too big for your headlight)
FX-R 3.0s
Mini D2s 3.0s (they're being launched in the coming week)
Well I'd do it myself, but I've never tried to take the headlights out of my car before so i didn't know how hard it'd be to install different projectors. It's an absolute pain to just change the bulbs in it, and I'm pretty sure I'd have to take the bumper off to get the headlights out.

post #34 of 38 Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i always thought that with 55w HIDs, the colors get washed out and so you'd have to get the next Kelvin level in order to get the same color if you went with a 35w kit.

Twista, will 55w HIDs melt Moritomo retrofit kits??

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
post #35 of 38 Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru1360 View Post
i always thought that with 55w HIDs, the colors get washed out and so you'd have to get the next Kelvin level in order to get the same color if you went with a 35w kit.

Twista, will 55w HIDs melt Moritomo retrofit kits??
If you get a 50/55w ballast and 50/55w bulbs to match then you don't need to change the bulb color - just get the color you intended to get.

But If you're using 35w bulbs for a 50/55w ballast then you do need to aim one kelvin level higher to get the color you wish to have. For example 8000k 35w bulbs with a 50 or 55w ballast would look more like 6000k.

If you intend to get a Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 projector it is highly suggested you DO NOT use any ballasts higher than 35w. It will overheat inside the projector and the chrome finish that helps reflect the light will flake off and it will void your warranty.

BUT if you're planning on using an OEM projector or a projector like the FX-R than you can use 50w or 55w ballast with no worries

post #36 of 38 Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if anyone makes a OEM Nissan replacement HID bulb?

I installed 5000k HID fogs and they don't quite match the 4300k low beams, however...instead of swapping the fogs to a 4300k I am curious if there is a replace HID bulb that will fit directly with the existing OEM HID component system in a 5000k temperature?
post #37 of 38 Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM
w00t

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcs626 View Post
Does anyone know if anyone makes a OEM Nissan replacement HID bulb?

I installed 5000k HID fogs and they don't quite match the 4300k low beams, however...instead of swapping the fogs to a 4300k I am curious if there is a replace HID bulb that will fit directly with the existing OEM HID component system in a 5000k temperature?

I'm surprised no one ever answered this... See what type of stock HID bulb it is.. D1S, D2S, D2R, D2C, D3S, D4S, D4R and D5S... most likely if there is a stock projector then it would be a D2S... if it's a reflector based HID-ready housing it will be D2R.

Find this out and you can replace the bulbs with whatever brand and whichever Kelvin level you desire. 4300K is stock yellow/white 5000K ~ 6000K is white to white/blue hues. Philips and Osram are good brands to consider for replacements.

I have Osram 35w 6000K D2S bulbs in my retrofit setup. My fogs are aftermarket H setup from TRS modified to fit the H13 socket 3000K (yellow).

post #38 of 38 Old 10-24-2018, 03:58 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Nissan OEM HIDs are reflectors (boo!)...so they take D2R's (if your bulb doesn't have a metal band around the glass capsule, it's a D2S and shouldn't be used for glare reasons)

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > The Ultimate Lighting Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode