LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2010 Altima SR Factory HID's

Hi all,

I recently was given a 2010 Nissan Altima SR V6 as a company vehicle. It has 111,000 miles on it. It rides nice and is fine to drive, especially since its free! I'll be driving 300-400 miles a week for my job so its nice to keep miles off my personal vehicle.

Anyways, the one gripe I have with this vehicle is the headlights. They are the factory HID reflector setup. And frankly they suck. Compared to my 2017 Colorado with factory halogen projectors, the Altima does not even compare. They only light up maybe 15-20' in front of the car and everything else is just scattered light with random hotspots. The halogen fog lights on this car almost are brighter than the headlights.

Now I have some experience with HID's and I know that after a certain amount of time/use HID bulbs can lose lumens. So I bought a set new Morimoto D2R bulbs off The RetroFit Source website and installed them. This only netted a slight increase in output. I also aimed/adjusted the lights as best I could but this still doesn't help much. I am at a loss. But I really would like to have decent headlights for early morning and nighttime driving, which I will be doing frequently.

My next attempt might be to replace the ballasts, but those can get pretty pricey, and I don't know if it would even help. So I figured I would stop in here and ask.

Apart from doing an entire retrofit on the headlights, what other options do I at making these lights better? Thanks

2010 Altima SR V6 -111,000 miles - Company Vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 03:06 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
The 2010-12 Altima sedans share the same headlight form factor as the Teana's...so there are a lot of aftermarket options which include HID projectors. Check CarID for starters.

I have the same HID reflectors on my '09SE running Morimoto D2Rs 4500K and agree they aren't great...better than the halo's...but not much. I drive with my LED fogs 100% of the time as they provide enough supplementary light for most conditions... Worst situation is dark moonless rainy nights that just seem to eat up the HID light. But, they are awesome on highways as they light up road signs and reflectors far far better.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
post #3 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugmac1 View Post
The 2010-12 Altima sedans share the same headlight form factor as the Teana's...so there are a lot of aftermarket options which include HID projectors. Check CarID for starters.

I have the same HID reflectors on my '09SE running Morimoto D2Rs 4500K and agree they aren't great...better than the halo's...but not much. I drive with my LED fogs 100% of the time as they provide enough supplementary light for most conditions... Worst situation is dark moonless rainy nights that just seem to eat up the HID light. But, they are awesome on highways as they light up road signs and reflectors far far better.
I'm not having any luck looking up Teana headlights on CarID. That vehicle doesn't even come up. I checked out ebay and found some, but they are all extremely expensive. $500+. And most of them were Bi-xenon style, which I'm sure would require extra wiring harnesses.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 05:29 PM

Ouch $384 a side (comes with assy, bulb and ballast) but still! You will still need some custom wiring to adapt existing H11 harness to the Mitsubishi ballasts.
https://www.carid.com/2010-nissan-al...parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Sedan

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
post #5 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Ouch $384 a side (comes with assy, bulb and ballast) but still! You will still need some custom wiring to adapt existing H11 harness to the Mitsubishi ballasts.
https://www.carid.com/2010-nissan-al...parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Sedan
Yea, I saw those. Those are halogen. From what I can tell, there is no aftermarket headlight assembly to add projectors to an Altima with factory reflector HID's.

And I don't really want to drop any money on this vehicle since its a company vehicle.

Maybe I'll have to get some replacement fog lamps that act as driving lights.

post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
Yea, I saw those. Those are halogen. From what I can tell, there is no aftermarket headlight assembly to add projectors to an Altima with factory reflector HID's.

And I don't really want to drop any money on this vehicle since its a company vehicle.

Maybe I'll have to get some replacement fog lamps that act as driving lights.
they come in 2 flavours....select the submodel and select HID. The images shown have the hid ballast visible from the rear photo. The halogens are cheaper than the HIDs...

But yeah, I wouldn't be dropping $800 plus on a car that wasn't mine...

post #7 of 13 Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
they come in 2 flavours....select the submodel and select HID. The images shown have the hid ballast visible from the rear photo. The halogens are cheaper than the HIDs...

But yeah, I wouldn't be dropping $800 plus on a car that wasn't mine...
Not exactly ideal. And if you drill down and select equipped with factory HID's it shows pictures of the reflector style headlight. The projector style will only fit models equipped with factory halogens.

I am contemplating buying a set of the Halogen projectors and then using a converted HID bulb and conversion harness to hook up to OEM wiring...talking with The Retrofit source for ideas.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-14-2018, 06:03 PM

these are projector HIDs but aftermarket...still $350/pair but come with bulbs and ballasts.

https://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe20niall1.html

Swapping headlights isn't a hard thing...though I did remove my bumper skirt when doing mine as I wanted to use the bolt under the headlight assembly for mounting as well (halo's only used the top bolts). I think you can extra the OEM halo headlights with just the hood open...you may need to pull back the wheel well skirting to aid in disconnecting bulbs though)

post #9 of 13 Old 02-14-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
these are projector HIDs but aftermarket...still $350/pair but come with bulbs and ballasts.

https://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe20niall1.html

Swapping headlights isn't a hard thing...though I did remove my bumper skirt when doing mine as I wanted to use the bolt under the headlight assembly for mounting as well (halo's only used the top bolts). I think you can extra the OEM halo headlights with just the hood open...you may need to pull back the wheel well skirting to aid in disconnecting bulbs though)
My car has Factory HID's already equipped...not sure you picked up on that.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
My car has Factory HID's already equipped...not sure you picked up on that.
Yes, but a 35W HID in a projector is way more effective than a reflector setup. Thought you wanted more light...this is a way to get there. Alternatively, you could put in halogen reflectors (cheap, used) and do an H9/H11 mod. Did this on my Mazda with halo projectors and it fixed our light issue...tradeoff is much shorter bulb life....but standard H9 are cheap!

post #11 of 13 Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yes, but a 35W HID in a projector is way more effective than a reflector setup. Thought you wanted more light...this is a way to get there. Alternatively, you could put in halogen reflectors (cheap, used) and do an H9/H11 mod. Did this on my Mazda with halo projectors and it fixed our light issue...tradeoff is much shorter bulb life....but standard H9 are cheap!
Gotcha. Yea. Now I'm leaning towards buying a set of ebay halogen headlights, opening them up and then installing a Morimoto Mini D2S projector and new D2S bulb. That way I could use the existing ballast.

The only question I have is if the halogen version of the Altima headlights will bolt up into the same place as the HID version. I'm thinking they should no problem.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. Yea. Now I'm leaning towards buying a set of ebay halogen headlights, opening them up and then installing a Morimoto Mini D2S projector and new D2S bulb. That way I could use the existing ballast.

The only question I have is if the halogen version of the Altima headlights will bolt up into the same place as the HID version. I'm thinking they should no problem.
Mounting is the same. Sounds like a plan! Post pics!

post #13 of 13 Old 02-15-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Mounting is the same. Sounds like a plan! Post pics!
If I end up pulling the trigger I will.

Another random question, do you know if the OEM headlights currently on the vehicle have a permaseal around the lens? I could save some more cash by just Retroing the OEM housings, but if they are a bitch to open I don't want to mess with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > The Ultimate Lighting Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode