Karking Reman QR25DE - Page 3 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 Old 10-08-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I took the car to Nissan today. Had to drive 50 min. away because I live in the country, but I needed to test the motor out on long drives anyway. I got the recall done. They did a multi-point inspection. They updated the ECM and checked the voltage on my headlight because there was a recall on my old headlights as well, but I told them that I changed everything from new headlights to ballasts. I asked one of the Nissan techs why I could be going through crank sensors. He said that I could have had a faulty one and that crank sensors don't go out like mines did. He also said it could be related to the ECM needing reprogrammed.

When I got back home, I went on some back roads. Everything was fine until I went up a small hill under load and had a slight misfire. My guess is that the old spark plugs were used inside the new motor or I need new coil packs. I haven't checked yet. No codes have popped up and it's not very noticeable. Almost done breaking it in though.


Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.

Last edited by 05NismoGirl; 10-08-2015 at 09:04 PM.
05NismoGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 45 Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered User
 
sprocketser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Qc , Canada
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Thanks: 122
Thanked 162 Times in 161 Posts
iTrader: 2 reviews
Really hope that they installed new plugs on the reman when they put the engine in your ride !

If not , it s not very professional from their part .

05 M/T SER Altima . Nismo CAI/CB , OBX Hdrs.Dynomax resonator .RL FSTB&BTD H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt tbi , RLRShifterBushing tbi , EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, 06 350Z Rear Brakes , Synto/Wix Filter , RP MaxATF PSF, Motul BF/CF, Pennzoil Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+
sprocketser is offline  
post #33 of 45 Old 10-26-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I finally had time to check the plugs. They're new. I still have the old coil packs from the previous motor. I checked those and the cylinder four coil pack had oil spatters on the inside. I wiped it out. Took it for a drive, no misfires. So it was the coil packs this whole time. I should have figured that was the problem.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
 
post #34 of 45 Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I was checking my fluids on the motor and found that this motor is consuming oil. I contacted Kar King because I still have warranty.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
post #35 of 45 Old 12-05-2015, 09:50 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
 
d0ugmac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Belt (SE Ontario)
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Thanks: 178
Thanked 431 Times in 422 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
I think it's pretty normal for a newly rebuilt engine to consume some a little oil as everything wears in....don't panic yet. On the other hand...if they did a quick rip and replace job with a junker...then you have a court case pending.

Gotta ask, did the block look like it had been degreased when you got it? Most rebuilders hate working with greasy dirty engines...so they steam clean 'em, sometimes even bathe them in solvents before getting down to the rebuild.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
d0ugmac1 is online now  
post #36 of 45 Old 12-05-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugmac1 View Post
I think it's pretty normal for a newly rebuilt engine to consume some a little oil as everything wears in....don't panic yet. On the other hand...if they did a quick rip and replace job with a junker...then you have a court case pending.

Gotta ask, did the block look like it had been degreased when you got it? Most rebuilders hate working with greasy dirty engines...so they steam clean 'em, sometimes even bathe them in solvents before getting down to the rebuild.
The oil was low on the dip stick. On the oil cap there was a sludge like material on it. I think it's a head gasket problem. I did "floor it" when the motor hit 800 miles, so it could be my fault not letting everything break in properly. The coolant level is still good though. I still have 3 months of warranty left.

As far as the motor looking degreased, it didn't look like it. It looked like a brand new motor when it was delivered.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
post #37 of 45 Old 12-05-2015, 10:58 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
 
d0ugmac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Belt (SE Ontario)
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Thanks: 178
Thanked 431 Times in 422 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
err yeah, if you have sludge and you're a quart down...there's a problem. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
d0ugmac1 is online now  
post #38 of 45 Old 12-06-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugmac1 View Post
err yeah, if you have sludge and you're a quart down...there's a problem. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
It is okay to drive the car like normal, right? Just not revving or no more wot.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
post #39 of 45 Old 12-07-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Called George today. Just as d0ugmac1 said, he said that this was normal because of the valves setting in. I have driven over 30 miles since I've put oil in. Nothing has happened, everything's normal (knocking on wood.) He also advised me the get a new pcv valve from Nissan. I've already got a new one since I got a whole new valve cover. We'll see what happens.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
post #40 of 45 Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
 
d0ugmac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Belt (SE Ontario)
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Thanks: 178
Thanked 431 Times in 422 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Checking in...how are things going?

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
d0ugmac1 is online now  
post #41 of 45 Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugmac1 View Post
Checking in...how are things going?
Didn't realize this post til now. Sorry for the late response. Everything is good now. All except this slight misfire problem. On half throttle at low speeds (20-40mph), it has like a hesitation or a slight mis then regains speed. I'm guessing it's the coil packs. Other than that everything is cool now. I've been keeping an eye on the oil level. It's good.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
post #42 of 45 Old 01-04-2016, 05:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Maybe your problems are corrected with a new engine but did you ever inspect the cats? The following is my experience.

Buying and driving cars always in the end boils down to economics, time involved in repairs, and safety. For years I drove brand new GM vehicles because they seemed to have the best repair records versus initial cost. I then began to buy 2nd hand cars. However the last GM vehicle I had was a GM Saturn that eventually had a subframe front bar that you could have literally karate chopped in two because it was so thinly made and rusted to the point that I was lucky it didn't break and have my engine literally drop to the highway while driving. That happened at 252000 km. That was the last time for any GM product. The thinking here was if that was GM's attitude about safety then I wanted no more to be a part of their vision. The next car was a Honda Civic that I got 2nd hand with 200000 km on it. I finally had to get rid of it after another 30000 km because the head gasket went and I was having to resupply antifreeze every time I drove the car. Also the motor was burning oil about a litre every 5000 km. So that car had 232000 km on it before I decided to get rid of it. I figure a car should give you 400000 km in places where they salt the roads (much more than that in places like Arizona and Cuba) if you rustproof it from the beginning and 300000 km if you don't. Since I bought these cars secondhand I at least expected 300000 km out of them. Didn't happen. So I now have got a 2006 Altima that I just recently bought that had 68000 km on it. Even though the car had never been rustproofed I figured with such low mileage on it I couldn't lose because I got a steal of a deal. However in 3 months I have had to put $5500 Canadian into it. Basically the 3rd generation Altimas were a lemon. However with careful planning and good maintenance and some luck, I think I can get to my target of 300000 km. The previous owner never rustproofed it and that was a big mistake as these cars are known as Fred Flintstone cars. There was a design flaw with the floorboards rusting from the inside out that Nissan only corrected in 2007 when they redesigned the Altima for the 4th generation. That fact is the basis of a class action lawsuit in the state of Illinois on behalf of all 2002-2006 Altima owners in the state OF Illinois. We will have to wait for the verdict and how it will apply to owners outside of the state of Illinois if the suit is successful. In the meantime I had to spend $900 to put new steel plates in the floor on both the front drivers side and passenger side. The other major problem with the 2002-2006 Altimas and some Sentras was the fact that the crankshaft position sensor was made with a cheap plastic housing that cracked under high heat and began giving faulty signals to the ECM. Nissan ignored the problem for 5 years until there were so many Altima and Sentra owners who were bringing their cars in under the warranty, that they finally redesigned the sensor in late 2006. My car was one of the last on the Smyrna, Tennessee assembly line but it seems that Nissan never replaced the sensor on the factory floor until the 2007 model year. Nissan finally had to do something because they were faced with a 100 million dollar problem of replacing over a million crankshaft position sensors on both models of cars. They came up with the idea of reprogramming the ECU so that the ECU basically ignores any signal that it gets from the crankshaft position sensor. This was a lot cheaper than installing a new redesigned part in a million cars. Officially there were about 800000 cars on the official recall list but there are many horror stories of many early Altima and Sentra owners never getting a recall letter because their VIN number did not show up on the list. I don't have an exact figure on the number that were left off of the list but based on sales there should be at least 200000 more owners around the world who had a bad crankshaft position sernsor. The early Sentras and Altimas both had the same QR25DE engine with a crankshaft position sensor measuring the crankshaft angle and engine rotation speed located in the engine block and a camshaft position sensor which is exactly the same part number as the crankshaft sensor but located in a different place near the camshaft. Nissan changed the factory service manual in late 2006 to reflect the fact that they had all the owners bring in their cars for reprogramming. The manual states " When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperable, the camshaft position sensor (PHASE) provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals." Seems like a lawyer wrote that clause. Some owners had wanted their sensors to be replaced by the new redesigned sensor instead but the dealers wanted to charge them $400 even though the cars were under warranty. When the dealer said that the car would be reprogrammed for free, 99.9 % of the owners opted for the reprogramming. The problem is that during the time that the faulty crankshaft position sensor was sending garbage to the ECU all hell was breaking loose inside the car with DTC codes constantly popping up and the owners bringing back their cars to see what was wrong. The recall went out in November 2007. So in the case of my car the previous owner had driven it for 14 months before he received the recall letter. Some other owners especially the early 2002 Altima and Sentra owners had been driving their car for 5 years with the problem. There is no way of knowing exactly when each crankshaft position sensor on any of the cars went wonky but any owner who drove their car fast and on long drives probably were in a worse position. To top this all off QR25DE are interference engines along with every other engine that Nissan makes. These engines give better gas mileage because the valves are allowed to invade the same space that the pistons occupy(at different times of course) so that the air flow is optimized for ultimate clean efficient engine combustion. However this necessitates making the tolerances so fine in engine design that the intake and exhaust manifolds are both open at the same time twice for a fraction of a second on each engine 360 degree revolution. This wouldn't be a problem if there was nothing to be sucked back into the engine. However since every car now has to have a catalytic converter( the Altima has 2 cats); if the honeycomb material breaks down inside the cat that is next to the exhaust manifold, it will get sucked back into the engine with eventual engine failure. The longer the period of time that the faulty crankshaft position sensor's information was being sent to the ECM the more likely that the cat would heat up too high having to deal with the incompletely burnt fuel from the engine cylinder. In that case fragments would get sucked back into the engine. The internet is full of stories where an Altima or Sentra owner would be driving without problems for up to 150000 km (some a lot less) and suddenly they get DTC codes and Service Engine Soon lights and they get the bad news from their mechanic that their engine is unrepairable. So knowing the above facts, I on a hunch took my 2006 Altima into my local garage to check on the cats. The mechanic put the car on the hoist and pulled off the back cat and as he was doing so, pieces of the cat dropped out. This was not catastrophic because these pieces would never get past the 1st cat. However when he took off the undercover of the 1st cat that is bolted onto the exhaust manifold, we saw a burnt spot on the honeycomb as large as a quarter. The mechanic told me I might be lucky that nothing got sucked back into the engine. He said that if I had driven it much longer I would have risked engine damage. So my hunch was right. The Nissan dealer and their mechanics said that the cats should last forever on these PZEV(Partial Zero Emission vehicles) vehicles. Nissan however only gives a 8 year cat warranty, even though in California the exact same car has a 15 year warranty mandated by the state of California. Cats normally should last a very long time but not when faulty crankshaft position sensors are sending garbage to the ECM. It cost me $2400 to replace the 2 cats plus 2 oxygen sensors, but I may have saved a potential engine cost of $5000 Can from a blown engine. I have heard that excessive idling causes cat failure but nothing about this in the owners manual nor have I read it anywhere. So there are 2 possible causes for my cat damage. The previous owner idling his car or the fact that sometime in the 14 months before the crankshaft position sensor was disabled through reprogramming, the sensor had started to go bad. Either way these conditions wont happen in the future of this car. The problem remaining however is that there are 800000 Nissan vehicles out there without a functioning crankshaft position sensor. It makes me a bit uneasy that my car is one of them (it is like having only 1 kidney). As long as the timing chain doesn't stretch and the camshaft position sensor does its job then things should be fine but I'm thinking maybe I should get the timing chain, guides, and tensioner and sprockets replaced in another 50000 kilometres as a preventive measure. Nissan says that the timing chain will last the lifetime of the car but I have known Altima owners who have had to replace the timing change after 200000 km. Note that the timing chain is still working all the time you are idling so if you idle a lot it is the same thing as doubling your mileage.

Last edited by korner; 01-06-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammar
korner is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to korner For This Useful Post:
post #43 of 45 Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
xxx

Last edited by korner; 01-04-2016 at 05:12 AM. Reason: redundant
korner is offline  
post #44 of 45 Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Okay, I'm bringing this up again. Today I went to go drive on some back roads. I did floor it a little but I didn't go crazy. Anyway, after about 3 hours, I went to change the coil packs. I also checked the oil just to be safe. I found the oil levels low again. Last time I checked it it was okay, but that was after normal driving.

Could my valves still be setting in or is this a bigger problem than valves? I'd like to know very quickly because my warranty ends in a couple weeks.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
post #45 of 45 Old 01-27-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Novice Grease Monkey
 
05NismoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by korner View Post
Maybe your problems are corrected with a new engine but did you ever inspect the cats? The following is my experience.

Buying and driving cars always in the end boils down to economics, time involved in repairs, and safety. For years I drove brand new GM vehicles because they seemed to have the best repair records versus initial cost. I then began to buy 2nd hand cars. However the last GM vehicle I had was a GM Saturn that eventually had a subframe front bar that you could have literally karate chopped in two because it was so thinly made and rusted to the point that I was lucky it didn't break and have my engine literally drop to the highway while driving. That happened at 252000 km. That was the last time for any GM product. The thinking here was if that was GM's attitude about safety then I wanted no more to be a part of their vision. The next car was a Honda Civic that I got 2nd hand with 200000 km on it. I finally had to get rid of it after another 30000 km because the head gasket went and I was having to resupply antifreeze every time I drove the car. Also the motor was burning oil about a litre every 5000 km. So that car had 232000 km on it before I decided to get rid of it. I figure a car should give you 400000 km in places where they salt the roads (much more than that in places like Arizona and Cuba) if you rustproof it from the beginning and 300000 km if you don't. Since I bought these cars secondhand I at least expected 300000 km out of them. Didn't happen. So I now have got a 2006 Altima that I just recently bought that had 68000 km on it. Even though the car had never been rustproofed I figured with such low mileage on it I couldn't lose because I got a steal of a deal. However in 3 months I have had to put $5500 Canadian into it. Basically the 3rd generation Altimas were a lemon. However with careful planning and good maintenance and some luck, I think I can get to my target of 300000 km. The previous owner never rustproofed it and that was a big mistake as these cars are known as Fred Flintstone cars. There was a design flaw with the floorboards rusting from the inside out that Nissan only corrected in 2007 when they redesigned the Altima for the 4th generation. That fact is the basis of a class action lawsuit in the state of Illinois on behalf of all 2002-2006 Altima owners in the state OF Illinois. We will have to wait for the verdict and how it will apply to owners outside of the state of Illinois if the suit is successful. In the meantime I had to spend $900 to put new steel plates in the floor on both the front drivers side and passenger side. The other major problem with the 2002-2006 Altimas and some Sentras was the fact that the crankshaft position sensor was made with a cheap plastic housing that cracked under high heat and began giving faulty signals to the ECM. Nissan ignored the problem for 5 years until there were so many Altima and Sentra owners who were bringing their cars in under the warranty, that they finally redesigned the sensor in late 2006. My car was one of the last on the Smyrna, Tennessee assembly line but it seems that Nissan never replaced the sensor on the factory floor until the 2007 model year. Nissan finally had to do something because they were faced with a 100 million dollar problem of replacing over a million crankshaft position sensors on both models of cars. They came up with the idea of reprogramming the ECU so that the ECU basically ignores any signal that it gets from the crankshaft position sensor. This was a lot cheaper than installing a new redesigned part in a million cars. Officially there were about 800000 cars on the official recall list but there are many horror stories of many early Altima and Sentra owners never getting a recall letter because their VIN number did not show up on the list. I don't have an exact figure on the number that were left off of the list but based on sales there should be at least 200000 more owners around the world who had a bad crankshaft position sernsor. The early Sentras and Altimas both had the same QR25DE engine with a crankshaft position sensor measuring the crankshaft angle and engine rotation speed located in the engine block and a camshaft position sensor which is exactly the same part number as the crankshaft sensor but located in a different place near the camshaft. Nissan changed the factory service manual in late 2006 to reflect the fact that they had all the owners bring in their cars for reprogramming. The manual states " When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperable, the camshaft position sensor (PHASE) provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals." Seems like a lawyer wrote that clause. Some owners had wanted their sensors to be replaced by the new redesigned sensor instead but the dealers wanted to charge them $400 even though the cars were under warranty. When the dealer said that the car would be reprogrammed for free, 99.9 % of the owners opted for the reprogramming. The problem is that during the time that the faulty crankshaft position sensor was sending garbage to the ECU all hell was breaking loose inside the car with DTC codes constantly popping up and the owners bringing back their cars to see what was wrong. The recall went out in November 2007. So in the case of my car the previous owner had driven it for 14 months before he received the recall letter. Some other owners especially the early 2002 Altima and Sentra owners had been driving their car for 5 years with the problem. There is no way of knowing exactly when each crankshaft position sensor on any of the cars went wonky but any owner who drove their car fast and on long drives probably were in a worse position. To top this all off QR25DE are interference engines along with every other engine that Nissan makes. These engines give better gas mileage because the valves are allowed to invade the same space that the pistons occupy(at different times of course) so that the air flow is optimized for ultimate clean efficient engine combustion. However this necessitates making the tolerances so fine in engine design that the intake and exhaust manifolds are both open at the same time twice for a fraction of a second on each engine 360 degree revolution. This wouldn't be a problem if there was nothing to be sucked back into the engine. However since every car now has to have a catalytic converter( the Altima has 2 cats); if the honeycomb material breaks down inside the cat that is next to the exhaust manifold, it will get sucked back into the engine with eventual engine failure. The longer the period of time that the faulty crankshaft position sensor's information was being sent to the ECM the more likely that the cat would heat up too high having to deal with the incompletely burnt fuel from the engine cylinder. In that case fragments would get sucked back into the engine. The internet is full of stories where an Altima or Sentra owner would be driving without problems for up to 150000 km (some a lot less) and suddenly they get DTC codes and Service Engine Soon lights and they get the bad news from their mechanic that their engine is unrepairable. So knowing the above facts, I on a hunch took my 2006 Altima into my local garage to check on the cats. The mechanic put the car on the hoist and pulled off the back cat and as he was doing so, pieces of the cat dropped out. This was not catastrophic because these pieces would never get past the 1st cat. However when he took off the undercover of the 1st cat that is bolted onto the exhaust manifold, we saw a burnt spot on the honeycomb as large as a quarter. The mechanic told me I might be lucky that nothing got sucked back into the engine. He said that if I had driven it much longer I would have risked engine damage. So my hunch was right. The Nissan dealer and their mechanics said that the cats should last forever on these PZEV(Partial Zero Emission vehicles) vehicles. Nissan however only gives a 8 year cat warranty, even though in California the exact same car has a 15 year warranty mandated by the state of California. Cats normally should last a very long time but not when faulty crankshaft position sensors are sending garbage to the ECM. It cost me $2400 to replace the 2 cats plus 2 oxygen sensors, but I may have saved a potential engine cost of $5000 Can from a blown engine. I have heard that excessive idling causes cat failure but nothing about this in the owners manual nor have I read it anywhere. So there are 2 possible causes for my cat damage. The previous owner idling his car or the fact that sometime in the 14 months before the crankshaft position sensor was disabled through reprogramming, the sensor had started to go bad. Either way these conditions wont happen in the future of this car. The problem remaining however is that there are 800000 Nissan vehicles out there without a functioning crankshaft position sensor. It makes me a bit uneasy that my car is one of them (it is like having only 1 kidney). As long as the timing chain doesn't stretch and the camshaft position sensor does its job then things should be fine but I'm thinking maybe I should get the timing chain, guides, and tensioner and sprockets replaced in another 50000 kilometres as a preventive measure. Nissan says that the timing chain will last the lifetime of the car but I have known Altima owners who have had to replace the timing change after 200000 km. Note that the timing chain is still working all the time you are idling so if you idle a lot it is the same thing as doubling your mileage.
I have a catless header already to get rid of my primary cat. So my 2nd cat converter can break apart as well? Gosh darn it!

How do you rust proof a car? Even though we don't use salt much here, I'd still like to be on the safe side.

Sage
.: 2003 Altima 2.5S :: Mystic Emerald :: Convenience Package :: Auto :: Stock-ish :.


My wheelwell | NissanClub Garage | flickr | Instagram


Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
I gotta ask, why do some of you want your cars so low to the ground? What do you gain from it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
So I can wash my car easier.
05NismoGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Marketplace > Vendor Reviews and Feedback

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome