The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Player Hater
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this write-up for PhantasmO..but it was too long for pm...so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

bullet499 wrote on 08-28-2002 12:44 PM:

Its not paint. I actually just bought some silver vinyl tape and put it over the orange part. It cost me about $2 and took only 5 min worth of work. If you want, e-mail me back if you want to know how to put the tape on. Its not that hard. Good luck.
yea you can lemme know how ya did it... oh, and where did you buy it? like a pep boys??
[/quote]

This is what you need:
-Vinyl tape
-windex
-a razor blade
-scissors
-a squegge or spatula

Actually, I bought it at a performance store here. You can usually find vinyl tape at any of those stores...especially the ones that have a graphic shop. A roll will cost anywhere from $2-$6. If you really are in a bind, maybe I can check to see if I still have some left over I can mail you. But I think the silver is different from the 00 than the 01...not sure. I know the 99 is really a different silver, but anyway, all you have to do is cut out a peice of paper that is in the shape of the part of the headlamp you want covered. Make the trace larger because your gonna need to do some cutting. Then trace the paper over the vinyl tape, and cut out your shape. For the other headlamp, just turn the peice of paper over because it will be identical, and in reverse. Once you have the two oppisite cut outs of the tape...do one at a time. The way you put on vinyl tape is you get some windex, and spreay it on your headlight. Clean it up and then spray quite a bit ont he section you want covered...and spray a little bit on your fingers. Now peel the vinyl tape off. Spray the back of the tape with a little bit of windex ( not too much or it will get too wet) and put it on the wet surface of your headlight. Place it as close as you can making sure the orange is completely covered. Then with your squeege, squeeze all the windex out from behind the tape. Let it sit and air dry for about 5 min. If you get impatient, you can use a hair dryer, but air dry works best. Every 5 min go and squeege the tape because air bubbles will form under the tape. Repeat this step every 5 min untill the tape starts sticking to the headlamp. Wait untill it gets very stick before you start cutting. Once it is completely dry, get your razor out. This is the hard part (I HAD TO REDO THIS WHOLE THING 3 TIMES BECAUSE I DIDN'T WAIT LONG ENOUGH FOR THE TAPE TO DRY...GOOD THING I BOUGHT A LONG ASS ROLL OF TAPE!!) so be careful!!! you'll notice on your headlight where the plastic meets the rubber...there is a line that you can rub your fingernail along. This is our cutting line. Slowly witht he razor you want to cut the vinyl tape along that line. Its covered,s o it is a little hard to do. GO SLOWLY. One you have cut along that line, the only thing that should be still messy is the line from the top of the tape down to the bottom. Cut on the angle just like the orange. DONT CUT TOO MUCH OR THE ORANGE WILL STICK OUT. Less is more. You can always cut more tape, but you cant put it back on so cut that line little by little till its just right. Repeat this process to the other side, and POOF, your yellow sides are gone!!! Good luck with everything. Also, you should copy this and paste it in the write-up forum, so other ppl with an 00-01 can do this too! Send me pictures when your done!!!!:D :D :D

·
Rally U13
1,562 Posts
thanks bullet... i have one question, though: when they light up, are they silver or amber?

·
Rally U13
1,562 Posts
where would your parking lights be, then? there are some anal cops around here, so thats why i'm asking.

·
Senior Player Hater
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dss64662 said:
where would your parking lights be, then? there are some anal cops around here, so thats why i'm asking.
True, cops can be dicks, but on the 00-01 we have an extra light on our headlamps, so the turning lights act as the sidemarker, and cops cant dispute that. Also, some people put on the side of their cars clear side markers to look like the audis and VW's, there is a write up on that if your interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts