The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350z and when the car is off the right side fan continues to run. I opened the IPDM and removed the 3 large relays individually. When the middle relay was removed the fan stopped. I tested the relay and two of the terminals had no current. I purchased an aftermarket relay (listed as rear defogger relay) from advance. I inserted the aftermarket relay and both fans started to work and the fan did stop when engine was turned off. The next day the fan would not turn off and when the middle relay was removed the fan stopped. I visited the dealer and was told that those relays were part of the !PDM unit and not sold separately. I was also told he aftermarket would not work even though they appeared to be the same. I am being told that I will have to replace the entire IPDM $600+, because the relays cannot be purchased separately? Can someone help with some information? yelnats1

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
What they have told you is correct, those older IPDM are $$$ and they don't sell the relays separately. But the relays are removable and you can find used parts... Often the same model of relay (colour, numbers, pinout) are used for different functions (horn, defog, etc.). So I'd visit a wreckers and remove a selection of identical parts...or buy a full IPDM off ebay and remove the parts yourself.

Be warned there is a small chance that the fault is not with the relay itself, but with the underlying circuit board that it plugs into. That would explain the works one day, doesn't work the next. In those cases, usually a touch up of the relay contact solder joints and/or the harness connector pins will fix any cracked/fatigued solder joints. Or just replace it with known good unit (used or otherwise).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts