The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 02 Altima with 90,000 miles. I replaced all motor mounts, throttle body, spark plugs, cool packs, and complete tie rod ends... Now when I accelerate there's a fast clicking sound, it doesn't do it while idling or slowing down, just when I accelerate. You can hear it clearly when the windows are up... Any ideas??

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Was the sound there before all the replacements?

·
6,365 Posts
What about when rev'ing engine at no load--do you get a sort of turbo sound? Where I'm going with this are worn chain tensioners.... Use a mechanic's 'listening device'...ie a piece of wood pressed against the passenger side housing of the engine...if the noise is noticeably coming from inside the chain housing, then that's a very common problem with older 3rd gen VQs.

If it is the tensioners, you'll be happy you have already loosened up all those old stuck mount bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no it sounds normal... but it sounds like its coming from the right side (if you were on the drivers seat)

·
6,365 Posts
Think it could be valve noise? Most of the external 'spinny' bits are on the passenger side of the engine. If it's on the driver side that pretty much limits you to a drive shaft joint or transmission noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My stepdad says that the clicking sounds like it's closer to the bottom part... The sway bar link boot is torn, could that have something to do with it???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts