The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bone stock 3.5SE 5 speed to a Honda S2000 club meeting. They wanted to run my car in a straight line and see who would win. I kept beating them over and over. They were pretty mad about a family car beating their sports car. I think the issue is that their engine's horse power kicks in at RPMs above 5850. So, they are slow on the take off and I would get ahead about a car and a half. Then it would kick in and we would then stay at the same speed. Pretty fun though. The V-TEC technology is pretty respectable for 239HP out of a 4 cylinder, but the altima being a car for the family at $15K cheaper beating it again and again was A Lot of fun!

·
Honda/Acura AllMotor Guru
831 Posts
What do you want, a cookie???? Big f--king whoop.

The average S2000 driver runs 15's because they don't know how to launch.

Put a decent driver in one, it is going to be close. Add some turns, and bye bye!

(Uh oh ...... can't believe I just threw in the "It will f--k you in the twisties!" ricer excuse)

My $25,000 Type R would put the smack down on numerous older Ferraris, Porsches, Lotus', not to mention S2K's in a straight line and in the twisties, but would I rather own the R over those cars?? Hell no!!

Glad your sedan is fast. Enjoy the 4 doors and soccer Mom tag you'll get by pimping out your Sedan, I'll stick to sports cars and sports coupes, thank you very much!!

·
Genki desu ka
252 Posts
I have seen an S2000 run a 14.5 in the 1/4, stock. Then again he was launching at 8000. Do you know what he was launching at? Then again I saw another one run a 15.2. :rolleyes: Anyway nice kills.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
The green of envy is such an unsightly color....

The idea behind a car like the S2000 is to be fast. And the S2000 guys ASKED to run in "a straight line and see who would win". It's not 2002Altima's fault they asked. It's not his fault they lost repeatedly.
THe S2000 only makes 152lb/ft of torque at an astronomical 7500rpm, and it has to push 2800lbs.
Based on the numbers, the description of the races is exactly as I would expect it to be.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Daremo said:
My $25,000 Type R would put the smack down on numerous older Ferraris, Porsches, Lotus', not to mention S2K's in a straight line and in the twisties,
That I would like to see.

·
831 Posts
Well, it outhandled 328's, 308's, Dino's, older 911's, the turbo 4 cyl. Esprit's, could outbreak all of them as well, and was faster in a straight line than all of them.

But like I said, I would still rather have owned any of them over the R in a heartbeat!!

And the 25 grand didn't count the 3 grand in mods of course .... ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't actually step up to trash the S2000. My friend who is in the club said they were having a meet and they would be doing timed races. I was mis-understanding that they would be doing 1/4mi time trials, so I wanted to go along in my altima. When I showed up, they were doing some awesome "twisty" driving through cones and such. YEAH! From what I saw, the altima could never keep up with those go-karts. I also let my buddy drive my altima with me in the s2000. First off, I couldn't fit in it being 6'4" tall. Secondly, it just doesn't have the same type of torque that the V6 has. One of the S2000s there had a SuperCharger on it and it was FAST. It did beat me, but it took another $5000 engine part to do it.

The S2000 is not meant to be a drag-racer though. It would definately whop my butt on a rally track.

Another guy tried doing the launch in his S2000 at the 6000 rpm range and it burned up his clutch. Then he wanted to do rolling starts... Like I said before, we stayed neck and neck, but I was ahead. The car has a ton of power above the 6K RPM and I asked why they don't launch at that. None of them wanted to launch their cars like this.

This was all in fun and it was interesting. They are two different types of cars. The S2000 will definately handle the road better. The Altima keeping up with the sports car is more of a "check out this bad ass sedan" right of passage.

And I don't think you get the "soccer mom" tag by driving a sedan (BMW M3 technology with 333HP ain't no soccer mom) I've got 4 cars, 02 Alty, 00 Mustang GT convertible, 48 Plymouth, and 37 Plymouth. They all do different things and are all respectable. I enjoy the comments like, "It looks like a Lexus!" Being an Adult enjoying over 25 year-old insurance breaks, I am glad I'm not driving go-karts to work anymore like my 87 16V VW scirocco.

But thanks for telling us about your hypothetical "smack downs" Daremo. I thought I would post a story about some fun I had this weekend with my new purchase that I am quite proud of, and I'm glad you got your panties in a wad because of my post!

:p

·
831 Posts
Nissan does not = M3 territory in styling, performance, or mystique.

Nissan = family sedans .....

And if you know anything about me from the boards, you know that things don't get my undies in a wad. I'm just one of the resident realists here keeping all the BS that flows in check! ;)

·
donor cycle
8,475 Posts
nothing wrong with grocery getters whoppin sports cars :D

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Daremo said:
Nissan does not = M3 territory in styling, performance, or mystique.

Nissan = family sedans .....

And if you know anything about me from the boards, you know that things don't get my undies in a wad. I'm just one of the resident realists here keeping all the BS that flows in check! ;)
Realist? Well, I guess you dont read too well then. Cause if you look back into a previous post, it was already said by someone that the Altima is only a family sedan. And I don't know if you meant Altima specifically, but there are Nissan's that do compare to the M3. Maybe not in styling, but in performance there are. they're just not available in North America. I have soo much to say about this thread, it's just too funny when people contradict each other. Personally I agree with the new Altima beating an S2000 in a straight line. No one said anything about cornering, however if you could take the difference of value between the two cars, and invest it into a new suspension for the Altima, you'd probably have a superior all-around car.

Oh, by the way your TypeR will have the same problem as the S2000, and as for outhandling those previously mentioned cars, you do know that technology in todays cars have evolved past some of the past generation 911s.

Wait a sec you already knew all that. I'm sorry, your never wrong. Feel free to correct me if i've made any "Un-Realistic" claims.

Oh and one last thing, Daremo, since your a realist, is that quote in your signature true? Wow, Hondas must be slow. I'm glad I got that "Realistic" piece of info from you, before I went out and bought one!

* Just my lil' random thought of the day!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the runs on video. I'll try to post them soon. Ain't no BS. Just telling what went on... and also stated that the S2000 V-TEC is more of a sports car for sport driving. Doesn't change the fact that my 02 ALL NEW IMAGE nissan is FAST! Good job Nissan!

And that 8000 launch reference was talking about the S2000 which redlines at 9K RPM, not the 02 Alty which red lines at 6700.

Picture of my gauges below.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry, it's not even a TypeR, you got a GS-R. My mistake, even worse handling. :)

·
Genki desu ka
252 Posts
Yeah i was talking about the S2000. I work with the guy and he is in need of a new clutch needless to say. I don't like all of the buttons on the steering wheel but the gauge cluster looks good.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
INDYALTY said:
yeah Hondas are slow and that's why they run 8's now. :rolleyes:
He had a type-R then sold it.
Oh? I just read another post where he was talking about his GS-R. Ahh... eitherway, it wont out-perform half the car the guy listed.

·
831 Posts
Never owned a GS-R in my life ........

I sold the R last October.

My sig is true, my Civic Hatch ran a [email protected] That is almost as slow as a herd of turtles going through peanut butter! :p

And you just don't get it, do you?

My $25,000 Type R would put the smack down on numerous older Ferraris, Porsches, Lotus', not to mention S2K's in a straight line and in the twisties, but would I rather own the R over those cars?? Hell no!!
Sure the new Alty is fast, and I'm certainly not bashing it at all, it is just that the majority of the drivers would take an S2K over the new Alty every day of the week. And it IS a family sedan, end of discussion.

The M3 quote was in jest at:

And I don't think you get the "soccer mom" tag by driving a sedan (BMW M3 technology with 333HP ain't no soccer mom)
Once again, using your ricer logic RLaing, I could take my Civic which I paid $1800, and with the difference between what he paid for his Alty (24 K range if I'm not mistaken), and my car would DESTROY the Alty in every performance category. In fact, for 20 grand I would have no trouble handing even a 360 Modena its azz ....... but I would trade my left nut for the better car!! That's what you don't get.

Speaking of ricer excuses .......
but there are Nissan's that do compare to the M3. Maybe not in styling, but in performance there are. they're just not available in North America.
I'm not even going to comment on that one ....... :rolleyes:

The new Alty is a great car, and has a lot of good things going for it. And it is good to see Nissan digging themselves out of the bankruptcy they were headed for. But I would take the S2K over it anyday of the week, and twice on Sunday (raceday).

·
831 Posts
rlaing said:

Oh? I just read another post where he was talking about his GS-R. Ahh... eitherway, it wont out-perform half the car the guy listed.
Ever ride in my car, or any of those I put down, let alone driven any of them?? I have ........

If you had/did, then you would know where the information comes from .....

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.