The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 with a 2.5 engine and 188000 miles. Overall the car runs great but occasionally it is hard to start. It bucks and sometimes backfires and even totally refuses to start. The last time this happened I had to spray in starting fluid and it eventually started. Once it starts it runs great. I have replaced the plugs and boots as well as the fuel pump. There are no check engine lights on or codes. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,021 Posts
crank and cam sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I decided to have a Camshaft sensor installed by my mechanic at his suggestion ($318). The car still did the same thing with difficulty starting about 10 % of the time. I drove the car about 10 miles the other day and when it shut off it would not restart. I had the car towed back to my home and about 2 hours later I attempted to restart and after a lot of stumbling and bumbling of the engine, it finally started but ran rough for another few minutes until it began to run smooth. This time however it was boiling out steam from the left tailpipe. I cut the car off and attempted to restart the following morning and it fired right up and no steaming at all. I checked the water level and had to add about a gallon. I ran the engine at idle for over an hour with no problems or water loss. What can be going on here?

·
7,021 Posts
Head gasket issues...or maybe throttle body, if you have one that has a coolant loop in it. You should stop driving it immediately to prevent further irreparable damage to the engine. You never got any kind of overheat warning?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not familiar with the potential problem being related to the throttle body. How would I know if my throttle body has a coolant loop? Also, I never received any overheat warnings. Thanks

·
7,021 Posts
Looks like your intake has a coolant loop. Pretty sure the '03's are metal and not plastic. I would remove the intake collector (between TB and cylinder head) and inspect for leaks, maybe do a pressure test...if you can't find anything wrong with that...the only other possibility is the engine (ie head gasket, cracked head, cracked block).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts