The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backed out of the garage 2 days ago to clean the garage, then pulled the alty back in. Yesterday went out and it wouldn't start. It was cranking like it wanted to, but wouldn't turn over. Gave it about a 20 minute rest - went back out and after cranking a little it started, but it smelled like it was flooded. Almost an oily smell. I dont usually hit the gas pedal when I'm starting it, so have no idea what that was all about, and am really baffled, as it behaved for all my around town stop and go afterwards. Had it in the shop for some sputtering this past winter after a particularly frigid few days. They said they couldn't find anything wrong, probably just some moisture in the fuel line. No aftermarket anything on it and only 13k miles- any ideas?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Somewhat common problem with the G3 Altimas. They flood really easily if you don't let it run for a few minutes. The solution is to floor the gas pedal and crank the starter...its actually in the manual too.

I know it goes counter to everything we were all taught about starting a fule injected car, but remember the Altima doesn't use a mechanicla throttle...I suspect that flooring the gas and crnaking it puts the motor into a cold start mode or something similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tdoyle!

Spoke with service today, and I got the "well, you can bring it in, and see if our techs can reproduce the problem" which, after short discussion, we mutually agreed was not going to happen. All in all, tho I'm thrilled with my car after a year.

smurph

ps - I went to UMass Amherst a hundred years ago, so know at least where Pittsfield is!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts