The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get the axel off. It's the last thing, Judy to pop the darn thing out. I have tryed pry bar and hammer. And a air hammer. Both didnt do a thing but left Mark's on the axel. Any one have any ideas. I might just drop the exhaust manifold. Maybe that will give me more room from different angles

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,753 Posts
You are talking about getting the carrier bearing out of the bracket?

·
5,753 Posts
You want to remove those 3 bolts at 120' to each other on the tabs sticking out from the axle just inboard of the bellows, and air hammer the carrier bearing out from behind (ie the driver side). If you can't do that, I believe there are 3 bigger bolts holding the carrier bearing bracket to the engine casting...if you can get those out, you can fight with the carrier bearing/bracket separation outside of the car (and win).

·
5,753 Posts
When intelligence and guile fail...not much is left except brute force. Know anyone with an oxy-acetlyene torch or maybe a sawzall? Seriously, if you can cut both sides you should be able to the bracket off...even if you eventually replace it with another bracket.

·
5,753 Posts
I remember one guy was able to get things started by removing the 3 bolts shown, heating the tab portion of the axle up with a torch, and then (air?-) hammering until the tabs started to rotate relative to the bracket tabs...more heat, more penetrating oil and eventually enough of a gap to get a prybar in there. More heat, more grunts and eventually nirvana.
Capture.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts