The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, im looking to buy a 05-06 Altima. Id rather the fuel savings of the 2.5, but wonder if the 3.5's overall reliability is considered better? I have an 05 2.5 already, with higher mileage, its had a few issues, nothing too major, just thought about buying one with a lot lower mileage and higher trim level either 2.5SL or the 3.5, they can be found cheap enough. I would want to run the 3.5 on regular gas, not sure if that would cause issues, I believe its optional, but recommended for performance, mileage?

Any thoughts on the reliability of these engines? Any common issues I should look out for?

Thanks a lot!! Glad to be here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you drive manual cars? If so, I'd get a manual 3.5L Altima. You get the reliability of a manual transmission and the power and reliability also of the VQ35DE. It may burn some oil but that's pretty much it. Make sure the timing chain was changed at the right interval and I'm pretty sure you're good to go! Running the 3.5L on regular only causes lower performance. It won't hurt the engine or anything like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you drive manual cars? If so, I'd get a manual 3.5L Altima. You get the reliability of a manual transmission and the power and reliability also of the VQ35DE. It may burn some oil but that's pretty much it. Make sure the timing chain was changed at the right interval and I'm pretty sure you're good to go! Running the 3.5L on regular only causes lower performance. It won't hurt the engine or anything like that.
Interval?????? It’s a timing CHAIN. THE “right interval” is NEVER. the only reason why they need to be replaced is because Nissan’s disaster of a CEO Carlos Ghosn didn’t give two hoots about reliability and under his watch the 3.5 was fitted with subpar timing chain guides. In fact there are many PRE-Renault 3.0 vq engines with over 300,000 miles on the original timing chains and guides. If I were you, I’d skip the Altima all together and look at a 2004+ Lexus LS430.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I drive standard, wife doesnt though, kind of miss driving standard and the increased reliability would be nice. My 2nd choice was going to be between this altima and a 2007+ Lexus ES. I thought the lexus es isnt quite my style, but for the money it and the altima seemed like good decisions compared to an accord or camry considering how much they sell for for how many miles on it. I like accords and would want a 2013+ or a mazda6 2016+, so this vehicle was going to hold me off until that vehicle upgrade in however many years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts