21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
TEAM TORQUE STEER!!!
273 Posts
+1 for Uncle Pat and the crew at Level 10

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had to take my '05 in 2 days ago to the tranny shop. Transmission was not shifting into 5th and had hard shifts, etc. Shop owner said the code indicated solenoid C was not working and replaced it but it still didn't work. He then said the screen was full of debris and that the fluid was very dirty (I have 115K on it and changed transmission fluid every 30K up until now) so he cleaned it and filled the tranny with new fluid to replace what actually drained out. This improved the shifting in all gears but 3rd to 4th (still hard) and it does shift into 5th now. I told him about replacing the valve body and he is telling me he thinks I need a new transmission since the screen was so dirty. Also, the manual shifting does not work very well like it recently used to (about a month ago). Do you all think that I should still try the new valve body from level 10? Is it easy enough to do oneself?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey man I know this is a super old post, but I just wanted to let you know (if you didn't know already) That 1 yes that valve body will fit, 2 don't spend money on a rebuild just yet after talking with Level10 today he said he rarely sees this 5AT needing a rebuild or any work for that matter. What happens is this valve body starts to go, and causes the transmission to slip and have problems (especially between 2-3) This happens to ~90% of Nissan transmissions with this VB, its an electronic failure and has nothing to do with the physical transmission. Level10 has had a number of cars go over 300K after getting the valvebody fixed. They also sell about 3 valvebodies a week. Its dirt cheap, its $650 at first, but when they get yours in the mail they reimburse you $500 (the 650 is if they get a broken valve body). so $150 for what feels like a new transmission? Do it, no question, everyone should and its not even that big of a deal
Just so everyone knows, Level 10 does not only charge you $150.00 for this valve body when all is said and done. It is $698.00+$500.00=$1198.00 + shipping of $30.00 (and not counting what you pay in shipping to send yours back to get your $500.00 core refund credited).

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Ah you did it yourself mate ! Great job . Saved allot I bet .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Easier than the brake job I just did.

You just need to get a torx 40 tool that can get into a couple tight areas to loosen the torx bolts that hold the cover on. Jack up your car first and look at where you have to get at them.

1. Drain transmssion fluid like you would drain your oil by removing the trans drain bolt (you'll want to know how much fluid you drained so you can put correct amount back in).

2. Reinstall drain bolt.

3. Remove battery, battery tray, fuse box holder, and batter tray mount (10 minutes and straight forward). I tried to not do this but it was way easier by having this stuff out of the way. Move wires and looms out of your way.

4. Get your torx 40 wrench and remove all of the cover bolts and remove the cover (there's a couple that are difficult to access so you have to have an adjustable length torx tool or the right length that doesn't hit the subframe).

5. Remove the 8mm bolt holding on the top solenoid with black connector and slide out of body. Carefully disconnect the wire harness. Push down and out with a small screwdriver as far as it will go them grab it from the other end and lift and pull the rest of the way out. Easy peasy.

6. Remove the 10mm bolt holding down the other two solenoids and do the same thing.

7. Install new solenoids per the directions that come with them. If you have over 100K on tranny, I would recommend turning the blue connector solenoid adjustment screw in 3/4 of a turn to give less delay and bump engagement when putting into drive. The solenoids are set for a brand new transmission but this will compensate fluid pressure for a more worn in tranny clutch.

8. Put the cover back on and snug the bolts down (don 't overtighten) or you will need a new gasket and get leaks.

9. Refill your tranny fluid and then go through the relearn procedures for the TCM for the new solenoids.

Total time about 3 hours but next time only about 1.5 now knowing steps. Seemed like it would be harder than it was before I did it.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanx for the procedures too , might be handy one day .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Does this apply for the 4at transmissions also?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Not sure about it , different tranny .

·
Snow... what
3,029 Posts
hey do you have any pictures of how your valve body looks with the pan off? If so, could you send me them please. Just wondering is all.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts