The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my baseline dyno from today. Only performance mod is a generic eBay CAI I got for $50. Doesn't look too bad to me. Accounting for a 20% driveline loss through the Tiptronic, I am making 263hp 300trq. Not too shabby.

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
maybe its just me or something but doesn't it say right on the sheet max power around 210 and max torque around 239?
:dunno:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct. 210 hp and 239trq to the wheels on a Dynojet 248C.

The 263 and 300 figures are accounting for the generally accepted rule-of-thumb of a 20% driveline loss through an automatic. At a 15% loss is would be 247hp and 281trq at the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Well this was with a CAI... so even without it, it would be a lil over 200WHP I believe stock.... so is the advertised 250hp valid, did it actually come with a few more hp than 02-04?

210hp X 1.2(20% loss) = 252hp flywheel.. 1.15(15%) = 241.5hp
239 X 1.2(20%) = 286.8torq flywheel.. 1.15(15%) = 274.85torq

Nissan once again seems to overrate their hp... but the torque atleast looks respectable..

15% loss for manual, 20% for auto - FWD

just curious how much more loss would a RWD and AWD be?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually you want to take the number and divide it by 80% or 85% depending on how you want to rate it.

Do this: subtract 20% from 263. You get 210. Now take 210 and divide by 80% or divide by .80, you get 263.

Multiplying times 1.2 or 1.15 does not get you the right figures.

Here is the rule of thumb I have always used:

FWD manual = 15% loss
RWD manual = 15-18% loss

FWD auto = 18-20% loss
RWD auto = 20% loss

AWD manual = 20% loss
AWD auto = 20-24% loss

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think an 18% loss would be most acceptable on my FWD auto.

That would mean I am making 256hp and 291trq at the flywheel. With only a CAI, I am most pleased.

BTW, I was using the Tiptronic to keep it in third and avoid a downshift at full throttle. Funny thing I found out, it shifts to fourth at redline whether you initiate it or not, and it DOES have a 115mph limiter!!!!!! Stupid Nissan bitches!!!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
i pulled 210hp and 229 tq w/ the long porsion of the injen cai....dirty filter and no mid-pipe, competely stock other than that.....this proves that the 05's are no different than the 02's when it comes to whp......gotta love nissan's marketing techniques.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
regardless....we have dynoe'd 02's, 03's, 04's, and now 05's....they all have the same whp @ stock....it's sad.....most people knew about this marketing idea that nissan has. I mean, look at how they changed their other cars, w/out really changing much, if anything at all (engine-wise).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your 19's most definitly hurt your torque. Anytime you add rotational mass, you lose horsepower. Adding rotational mass is worse than just adding the same amount of weight to the trunk (i.e. sub-box). Inversely, reducing rotational weight (i.e. lightened flywheel, lightweight forged wheels) will free up lost horsepower.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the torque peak is a little high. You typically can't believe the 2000 to 3000 range of a dyno from an automatic car because of torque converter slip. If you look at Nissan's published torque peak, (4400rpm, I think) that should roughly line up with your torque peak, regardless of the actual torque value. You'd have to do major mods to move this peak around.

While you peak torque may be true, as a result of the torque converter multiplying the output, it isn't an apples to apples engine comparison to us with manuals.

Thanks for the dyno, though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Groggy23 said:
Dunno about the 05's but that seems to be the case. However, I was able to hit 120+ mph on my 04 auto, just flooring it D of course.
Hmm, so they've changed the limiter since the '03 model then? I ask because I hit 128mph in my '03, and have a pic of it.

I'm in the market now for an '05, and I'm starting to read that the '05 has been limited to 115mph now?

I don't like that trend.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts