The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
cpt05alt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a 3.5 and am wanting to do some upgrades starting with getting rid of the terrible factory headlights. I have been looking and reading and not sure which way to go. Obviously the easiest cheapest way is to drop in a HID kit and be done. I have also found projector headlamps for 05 alt w/ halogens that I could put the HID kit into.
Finally there is the retrofit which I don't kkow much about, other than I would have to get some kind of projectors and put them into a stock headlamp right.
Long story short. Wouldn't it give same result to buy already assembles projector headlamps ?
Thanks for any help and insight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It all depends on what you have your heart set on there is pros/ cons for every one of these
-factory halogens = terrible

- factory w/ hid swap= not too expensive/ easy install.. But a ton of oncoming glare

- aftermarket halogen projector headlights = slightly better output then factory halogen

- aftermarket halogen projector headlights w/ hid = this is a bit of a "grey" area .. Usually hids don't preform well with halogen specific projectors but sometimes you luck out with how they preform

Hid projector retrofit = has the potential to be costly and you need to be semi handy but has the best light output out of all options

I personally went from hid in factory halogens to hid projector retrofit and it is a world of difference

·
cpt05alt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I have really been trying to figure out what to do. I dont want to blind oncoming traffic, but i live out in the country so I dont have much to worry about there.
I Was thinking of doing the projector with an Hid kit, but after you say that I may not. I'm a welder by trade, and Navy vet that use to do maintenance on a nuclear aircraft carrier so I am somewhat handy, just thought a full retrofit might be too much for a first try.
Just for convos sake, what projectors did you use? And did what steps did uou take? bake, deemed etc... thanks for your help. I just want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well I did a quad morimoto mini h1 set up from the retrofit source .. These seem to be the projector with minimal work that needs to be done to install them .. As far as cutting / dremeling all I had to do was expand the bulb opening to the size of the threaded shaft on the projector and slide them in and tighten the nut (and of course adjust the rotation).. For our cars you have to bake the headlight open and replace the butyl sealant when you put the lens back together .. All this being said . The morimoto h1 and the d2s model are the best "aftermarket" hid projectors .. If your willing to do more dremeling and aligning and fiddle with mounting options then there are much better factory projector options.. I browsed hidplanet.com and gathered a bunch of info from the guys there.. And most of all thank you for your service

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Does this help your decision?

Depo 2005-2006 Altima Halogen Projector Headlights retrofit with Morimoto D2S (you could also use the H1 if you prefer) Mini projectors, Bullet projector shrouds, and XB Halos all from TRS.

More pics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks Great.
I also just picked up an 2006 Altima with only 95,000KM (59,000miles). I put 35W 5000K HID's in my stock housings but I am NOT happy with the output.

How tight was the bullet shroud in the housing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts