The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL:
Leased the car early July 2004: 2005 3.5SL with Auto Trans, Sheer Silver. Great car - very comfortable, love the looks, the feel on the road. BUT: experiencing abrupt type shifts at slow speeds, especially in traffic (In NY there is lots of that). Didn't feel this in the test drives, but there wasn't any traffic in the test drives. I basically just "punched it".
I went to Dealer, who allowed me to test drive another car - same thing. It's the electronic Tranny - the new 5 Speed Auto that's the culprit. Anyone know of a TSB or fix?

Also: The radio reception sucks. What's up with that??? How do you produce a $28,000 car with a radio with that performance... Doesn't make sense. The SL rides beautifully, could handle better (it's NOT like my Mazda 6s) but I did elect to get the SL rather than the SE.

Thanks...... Any advise about the tranny experirnces is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
when i first got the vehicle i had a problem with rough shifts(got it with 10 miles), the car is now at 750 miles old and the 2-3 shift has gotten significantly softer. Maybe 1000 miles will be the magic number.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts on the Break In. I have 2,700 miles on it already.

I suspect an ECM problem. I'll have it checked at Dealer, BUT I know the answer already, UNLESS there is a TSB about the problem.

Curious: Anyone with an '04 with similar problem : either 4 or 5 spd auto tranny?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
there are quite a few people complaining about this i'm sure nissan will be fixxing this problem soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not aware of this problem but you do know that by picking the SL you picked the one with worse suspension. The SE although missing the leather and all has a sport tuned suspension and stiffer shocks. That is the difference. The SL it designed for smooth ride with soft shocks in other words a lot more body role. That is why I got the SE and will just replace the fabric.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,220 Posts
I'd trade my right nut for Hard shifts......What are you people....80

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Not sure if Nissan can do it but my wife was complaining of some hard downshifts in her 330. She told the dealer about it and apparently it is a common complaint. They modified something in the ecu and now it's smooth as butter.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,220 Posts
jethro_13 said:
Not sure if Nissan can do it but my wife was complaining of some hard downshifts in her 330. She told the dealer about it and apparently it is a common complaint. They modified something in the ecu and now it's smooth as butter.

Butter bad.......Jam Good.....Smooth shifts...means slippage....means wear...Means money..and loss of power

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,220 Posts
jethro_13 said:
Upshifts are fine. The last downshift before a stop would shake the whole car....not good.
Hard down shifts.....Hmmmm..My Oddy does that:confused:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I think all they did was change the (down)shift points. Did you get your oddy serviced for that tranny recall? Was yours subjected to it?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,220 Posts
jethro_13 said:
I think all they did was change the (down)shift points. Did you get your oddy serviced for that tranny recall? Was yours subjected to it?
Yes it was serviced....Did the oli jet kit install. It is supposedly normal downshifting for the van

:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am not aware of this problem but you do know that by picking the SL you picked the one with worse suspension. The SE although missing the leather and all has a sport tuned suspension and stiffer shocks. That is the difference. The SL it designed for smooth ride with soft shocks in other words a lot more body role. That is why I got the SE and will just replace the fabric.
That's weird, my 3.5SL has "Sport Tuned Suspension" listed on the window sitcker. I'm not sure about the stiffer shocks though.

I notice that the downshifts are a little off at low speeds as well. I'll have to bring that up next time I'm at the dealership.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also prefer the SE model - I dont care about the extra interior
And I believe the SL has T rated tires - there are discussions going on about this - I believe you get cut off at 115mph

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in an 05 3.5 SL as well, and agree that the sticker on the car says "sport tuned suspension" and the salesperson never told me anything regarding a difference in suspension components on the SE or SL. After driving the car 4000 miles it is obvious that the suspension is supersoft; Great for highway cruising, but makes for Cadillac cornering ability. Indeed, the 5 spd tranny on the 05's is the epitomy of the term 'slushbox'. I agree that perhaps something is tuned incorrectly in the ECU as I'm noticing more and more that it seems to "slip" or pause while the computer "thinks" or selects the gear it feels is appropriate. It is particularly noticeable when it downshifts to 2nd from 3rd, or 3rd from 4th, and then you get back ON the gas... it just hesitates, confused and bewildered. I am trying to figure out the tricks to using manumatic mode. I believe that by moving the selector over to manu mode it raises the RPM shiftpoint up to redline, and that's the only change. It does not respond well at all. If you are at WOT and try to shift up a gear before redline it does not shift. It will just pull all the way to redline and shift on its own. This is a poor manumatic setup as driver input is irrelevant. The only time it is useful is to downshift to 4th to pass someone at highway speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
J Schmoe: The 3.5SL comes with a "Performance tuned" suspension. But this has nothing to do with the performance of the Auto Tranny with 5 speeds. Forgot to mention: I ordered the Traction Control Package. But disengaging the TC still yields the awardward performance of the tranny at slow speeds.

Perhaps it something to do with the 115 MPH "governor" I've read about elsewhere from other members who have Pushed the car to those limits. The speedo goes to 160 !!, but the car's ecu, engages a stop gap that won't allow the car to go over 115 MPH.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't see your reply. NBTX05Altima, You have hit right ON with the problem. Too many electronics................

My Mazda 6s is far superior as far as the tranny is concdrned. It does allow for more Driver input and less "slushy" as you put it...

If enough of the 05 Alti cusatomers complain, perhaps NIssan will pay attention and issue the necessary fix: probably a software fix, I imagine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
LOL! "Performance tuned" my a$$. But yes, you are correct. After researching, the SE says "sport tuned", and the SL says "performance tuned."

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
wow really the 05's have an option to have soft suspension?

All i got to say is first thing I noticed when test driving my 02 was that the suspension with really stiff for a damn sedan lol. I didn't know the SL and SE was divided up like that.

THose are shitty options, you get all the leather goodies, xenons, etc. but crappy suspension. But if you want the 5-speed manual and stiff suspension you cannot have the leather and xenons? What kind of crap is that? So basically you cannot get a fully equiped
sport altima? WTF? Shitty!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts