The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having an oil light come on at idle and would go away when i ramped the RPM's up.
Changed the oil, filter and added a quart of Lucas oil treatment and the oil light didn't come on anymore...Yah!
Next day after driving it for approx. 10 miles or so, it started making this ticking noise at idle.
When i ramp the RPM's up it goes aways. Note: There was no ticking noise prior to doing the oil change.
Does this sound like an oil pump issue or?
All constructive input appreciated!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,024 Posts
How much oil came out or did you check the level before the change?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I used to sell oil pumps and I can positively say it is pretty much a myth that the oil pump wears while nothing else in the engine does. Almost every one I ever sold had the buyer coming back wanting money back when they do not solve the problem, which is a worn out engine instead.

Just sayin'...............the pump is worn because the engine has shed enough scarf to wear it out. They pretty much do not wear at all if simply by themselves.

·
7,024 Posts
^x2 If you need a new oil pump, you need a new engine, and then some.

·
05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's funny, I was asking for constructive advice! You need a new engine and then some???

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
'That's funny, I was asking for constructive advice! You need a new engine and then some???'

Do you want us to fix the car or you?

If you want a definitive answer then rig a mechanical oil pressure gauge up in place of the light switch sensor, that'll tell you and no lie.

Check the oil for possible fuel getting into it, that thins the oil and can make it tick. Stuck fuel injector can do that.

·
05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fix me well, I can't say that i'm not without faults but i always take advice with a grain of salt and not the given word as you may think your advice is!
I appreciate your input and i plan on testing the oil pressure as my next step as an obvious procedure.The engine seems to be running normally in regards to a stuck fuel injector other than the ticking noise. My thoughts are that there is low oil pressure and it isn't getting enough on the upper engine? just a thought.

·
7,024 Posts
That's funny, I was asking for constructive advice! You need a new engine and then some???
To be clear I said: IF you need a new oil pump THEN you need a new engine.

The reasoning behind that is the oil pump is the one part of your engine designed for maximum exposure to lubricating oil and if it wears out, then you can be absolutely sure that the bearings and cam lobes and everything else that moves inside the engine has worn MORE than the oil pump has.

Unfortunately you dumped in the Lucas oil treatment, so you're not really comparing apples to apples at this point as it basically thickens the oil, allowing a worn pump to generate that little extra bit of pressure to keep the warning light off.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
'The engine seems to be running normally in regards to a stuck fuel injector...'

It can but still leak down pressure over time at shutoff. You then never pick up on it.

Take it with a grain of salt...........no, I'm not always right but you d-mn sure don't want to know what my track record is. Good enough to have never ever paid for a car repair in 40+ years now.

Noise is tappet/lifter rattling or rod lightly making noise from dead bearing. By the time you need any pump the main oil clearances at crank and cams are usually worn out. Why the pump does nothing. Thicker oil may kill the light and stop ticking until engine gets much warmer then it begins. Let it cool off and then quiet again until hot.

·
05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any recommendations on where to buy a good used Jap motor shipped from Japan?
I figure all that i have already put in the car i might as well get a used motor and have it installed.
probably looking about 2 grand but for another used car with unknown problems i'm thinking this would be a better bet.
I bought a JDM motor off of Ebay about 4 years ago for a 2002 altima and things worked out good.

·
7,024 Posts
JDM vendors are regional, some big ones in NY and CA. Your state will determine where you go...cuz shipping is brutal.

·
05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Live in Ca, but have been told that Ca. can say they are JDM (from Japan but are not and are actually and high mileage Engines in the states) but I'm looking at a NY vendor that may be legitimate as they are closer to and coastal to Japan. Your opinion?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You need to go back to geography class, NY is 2000 miles further from Japan than CA. And wanting to ship a heavy engine across the US?

It's becoming more and more clear how the original engine got in the condition it is now. Problems reading????........

'...cuz shipping is brutal.'

·
7,024 Posts

·
05 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need to go back to geography class, NY is 2000 miles further from Japan than CA. And wanting to ship a heavy engine across the US?

It's becoming more and more clear how the original engine got in the condition it is now. Problems reading????........

'...cuz shipping is brutal.'
AMC49, spare me your replies! you seem like an angry person who doesn't get any so you get off by being a @sshole!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Trying to stop you from making an idiot shipping cost mistake. You're not helping (yourself) with that. You'd better off trying to take care of you.

I appreciate your concern over my sex life, but it is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts