The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Altima with the CV casing rusted on to the carrier bearing bracket.
I cannot seperate them.
And yes I googled this and looked at the YouTube videos from 2014.
Tried using a punch to seperate them...... no movement.
Was wondering if anyone has any updated ideas / tricks.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,982 Posts
Air-hammer with chisel attachment. I had an '09 done and by the time it was freed, the chisel had cut significantly into the outer housing steel--so this destroys the CV axle assy. If you are trying to preserve it, can you unbolt the carrier bearing bracket instead?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I will try the air hammer tonight.
I have a new half shaft waiting to go in.
Thanks for your quick response.

·
Matt D
7 Posts
I am not 100% sure on the 05, but I ran into a similar issue on my 2010 passenger side.
The bracket itself was removable on the 2010 ,may be the same on 2005 , find the bolts and remove it all. Easily came off after a few hammer hits once out.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the bracket is removable.
I see 3 bolts.
It's a matter if I can reach them.
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No...I couldn't remove it.
The bolts are too tight, I can't get a breaker bar in there to loosen them and that is the closest bolt I can get at.
And I'm afraid to snap it.
Thinking about giving up and taking it to a mechanic with a lift.
Thank you for your concern.
I appreciate it.

·
5,982 Posts
I think you need to get the retainer plate out of the way, get some more penetrating oil in and around the carrier bearing itself...and then pry the inner joint away from the carrier bracket. See 10:25 into this video for the plate you should be able to get out of the way with a couple of hammer whacks.

·
Matt D
7 Posts

I have not seen this design but assuming these holes are where the bolts holding it in place were .

• Carefully trying to tap a small putty knife or small screwdriver head into the seam and gently tap to see if you can start the 2 halves separating?
  • If the other side of the boot still round? So that if you were to tap on the lower bolt flange outside end gently to maybe try for a slight rotation, which might break it loose.
Sorry just looking at this pic and thinking of ways to pop it out… please use your judgement I had to fight to get mine out and figure it out. That video the other member posted is the one that showed me the way to fix mine. The bracket bolts were hard to get to.

No shame in taking it to a mechanic, been there myself .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried using a thin chisel ,penetrating oil, an air hammer, penetrating oil, heat, chisel, air hammer and I just got a little seperation at one ear.
Tried hammering at the one ear to turn it but wouldn't move.
Who's to say it's not stuck in the transmission as well with the "c" clip not compressing.

Believe me I don't like to give up, never have, when working on cars and all older cars.
Like trying to get a bolt off and spending days to get a part off.

I'll try again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made up a slide hammer that I could attach to the drive shaft and I heated up the carrier bracket and still no progress.

·
5,982 Posts
What a PiTA! More heat, more anger?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to ask, how did you end up making out ?
I ended up taking the retainer bracket off.
And then had to use a slide hammer attached to the shaft to pull it out of the tranny.
Got the new one in in no time but didn't solve my problem.
Ended up replacing both front wheel bearings.
Thanks for asking.

·
Matt D
7 Posts
I ended up taking the retainer bracket off.
And then had to use a slide hammer attached to the shaft to pull it out of the tranny.
Got the new one in in no time but didn't solve my problem.
Ended up replacing both front wheel bearings.
Thanks for asking.
I had to remove my bracket as well.... mine came off easier when off and I was happy bearing were ok. I do regret not just replacing them, car had 185K on it at the time ,

Glad to hear it worked out .....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even with the CV shaft out and on the floor , I still had a hard time hammering that retainer bracket off the the shaft.
As far as the bearings, I took the whole assembly off from both sides and took them to work where I pressed out the old bearings and pressed the new ones in.
It helps when your a Machinist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts