The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Last week I replaced the Starter in our 2005 Altima 2.5l.
The old one (original) started to develop a dead spot where it would occasionally just click rather than crank.
Today was the first day I drove it. Started great. Drove 50 miles.
Shut down. A few hours later restarted, drove less than a half mile and I started to hear a noise what sounded like in the back of the dash.
It sounded like a fan motor.
I turned radio, climate control off. Still the noise.
Then out of nowhere the car died. The smell was awful of burnt electrical. Wont start. Key turns on and gauges light up but it just makes a light click.
I had to have it towed as it died in a very poor place, Middle of the road at a busy intersection.
I have not checked yet but If I were to guess I am thinking the bendix stuck out and the engine over revved the starter and burned the main 12v to the starter.
I am going to check it out tomorrow, but I assume there is a fuse for that wire to the starter. Just curious if it is inline link or a actual fuse.
If I might not be in the right track if someone could post a cause that would be great.
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
How old is the battery? Could have produced your initial complaint, just a click. If battery is the issue rarely they can weld the starter solenoid to keep starter engaged at bendix when normally it would kick out. A good hot battery slams solenoid over with no arcing, a low battery moves it slower and then the arcing that ensues welds the solenoid shut.

I did that once and it took out the starter, battery, main cables, and alternator when the main cables fried due to the overload.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is not very old. Turned over great before.
Occasionally the battery would run low as the car is not driven daily. But I keep it on a trickle maintainer when not in use.
Has not had a low battery since new starter was installed last week.
Thank you for the response

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all.
Last week I replaced the Starter in our 2005 Altima 2.5l.
The old one (original) started to develop a dead spot where it would occasionally just click rather than crank.
Today was the first day I drove it. Started great. Drove 50 miles.
Shut down. A few hours later restarted, drove less than a half mile and I started to hear a noise what sounded like in the back of the dash.
It sounded like a fan motor.
I turned radio, climate control off. Still the noise.
Then out of nowhere the car died. The smell was awful of burnt electrical. Wont start. Key turns on and gauges light up but it just makes a light click.
I had to have it towed as it died in a very poor place, Middle of the road at a busy intersection.
I have not checked yet but If I were to guess I am thinking the bendix stuck out and the engine over revved the starter and burned the main 12v to the starter.
I am going to check it out tomorrow, but I assume there is a fuse for that wire to the starter. Just curious if it is inline link or a actual fuse.
If I might not be in the right track if someone could post a cause that would be great.
Thanks all
How many miles on the original one?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I nailed it.
I got lucky though. it did not burn any wiring or links
The bendix stuck out and spun with the RPM of the engine. It welded itself and burned up.
I replaced the starter today and it is back up and running.
I assume the engine stalled when the shaft of the starter locked up. It was seized right up. Happy junk.
Glad to be back up and running but the smell is going to take awhile to go away

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I nailed it.
I got lucky though. it did not burn any wiring or links
The bendix stuck out and spun with the RPM of the engine. It welded itself and burned up.
I replaced the starter today and it is back up and running.
I assume the engine stalled when the shaft of the starter locked up. It was seized right up. Happy junk.
Glad to be back up and running but the smell is going to take awhile to go away
Nice!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If car sits enough then simply yank a battery cable and put it on when you need car. What I do, I have 2 cars that sit a lot. The battery then stays up MUCH longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts