The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have this problem with my shift lock solenoid it happens every morning when i first start my car. ill press the brake pedal down ill hear the click and ill put in drive. but when i take off i can hear it start clicking rapidly and it stops after a min or two. if i stop anywhere and put in park then try to put in drive it wont let me it just clicks rapidly. so i have to use the key hole to get in gear. If anybody can tell me what the issue is and how to fix it would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the issue is the actual solenoid, you can't just buy that from dealer or anywhere retail that I know of. You'd have to get the entire parking shifter assembly. You could go to a pick-a-part and remove it from the parking assembly. I did that once and it ended up not being the shift solenoid, as I was told.

Mine had the same issue as yours if I recall for a bit, but then it just locked for good. I figured out thru more googling I needed to replace the "shift lock control assembly" located behind the cluster guage. There is a bulletin iirc. Went out twice over the past 15 yrs. I THINK the texas heat may be an issue. The protection above the cluster was cracked and I THINK let in heat and warps the module (assembly).

First time I bought one on eBay for like $35. 2nd time, like 5yrs later got it from pick-a-part for like $4. It ended up being faulty (prob wet) and got picked another one and it's been running fine for folks since then. Replacement is pretty easy, nothing technical. Mainly screws and plug in/out the module. Takes less than an hour.

This is the part I replaced. Amazon.com: Genuine Nissan 28540-ZB000 Shift Lock Control Assembly: Automotive

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I simply disable the solenoid at the shifter to make it like an oldschool car that never had one. Problem solved and forever at zero cost. It's only there to stop children from taking off in a car that had keys left in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts