The Nissan Club banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honestly the engine design is fine. I see hundreds of thousands of miles on them. 2 of my own with original engines have combined 600k and run beautiful.
The problem is the precat. A part that attaches to the engine.
Todays emissions at best there.

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L
6 Posts
Honestly the engine design is fine. I see hundreds of thousands of miles on them. 2 of my own with original engines have combined 600k and run beautiful.
The problem is the precat. A part that attaches to the engine.
Todays emissions at best there.
its due to the piston rings failing. My pre-cat was fine and intact when it failed. Check the EFN and see if your car matches the EFN’s in Nissans recall report from the assembly plant it came from. They never sent me a recall notice because the month mine was made didnt match what they had but when I pulled the recall report from their diagnostics records my EFN matched the EFN of the cars affected by the recall..... but Nissan didnt give a [email protected]&$..... of course

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L
6 Posts
Also about the no start problem, its a different recall with that too. The crankshaft sensor will overheat cutting the signal to the ECM. Since no reading is available the car can lose power while driving or if you shut it off and no signal was read it wont start up right away. They need to reprogram the ECM. But replace both the crank and cam shaft sensors together, spend a little more on better quality sensors too. I changed both at least 3 times each so i just spent the extra money the last time and its been fine.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The rings haven't failed if you still have 175 psi compression but the numbers have to be real. Also, this from post #20..........

'Mine sounded like change in a tin can the day it gave out. My mechanic pulled 5-7 gallons of oil out of it, how?'

Fuel got into the oil, a LOT of it. Injector leaking over and over. The rattle was from damage to cylinder walls and likely bottom end.

Again, not a ring issue. And they can mess up the cylinder honing to eat oil but that is not a ring issue either.

Wondering about a no-start condition, I see no mention of it by the OP at all.

??????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: Pulled the engine and found the oil rings were no longer expanding. Gummed up. No signs of scratching on cylinder walls. Replaced with new rings and pistons and did a basic hone. No machine work was needed. Engine is back in the car and it no longer burns any oil. Very happy car. Did a number of other things while I had it apart (bearings, valve seals, lapped valve seats, timing chain, etc). More work than I wanted but it will be years before this thing sees a junk yard now.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts