The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New here and new to Nissan vehicles all together. Bought a used 06 Altima with the 2.5. A few small issues I'm having to deal with but the main one is dealing with starting the car. Most of the time I can go out and crank it up first try. Other times it will just click like the battery is dead. Went and bought a new battery and everything seemed fine until I went to the store and came back out and click, nothing. I started messing with the positive cable then it fired up. I did notice that instead of a bolt, there is a wing nut holding the fuseable link to the positive cable. Should I replace the whole link and see if that might be the problem? I'm running out of ideas.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,885 Posts
I'd like to see a picture if possible, but if you can repeatedly fix the problem by messing with the +ve terminal..then yes, you should fix it!

Part itself is pretty cheap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to see a picture if possible, but if you can repeatedly fix the problem by messing with the +ve terminal..then yes, you should fix it!

I'll get a good picture in the morning. I took it out, scrapped a little corrosion off of it and replaced the wing nut with an actual nut that I could tighten with a ratchet. I have figured out the positive terminal isn't an oem terminal, it is a marine battery terminal from Advance Auto. So I am wondering it that is contributing. What is also weird is after tightening everything down super tight, it still would randomly crank and sometimes not with just a single click when the ignition is turned. But if I keep toggling the ignition from start to on a few times it will eventually crank. I went out a minute ago and it fired right up like normal. Very strange. Hoping the ignition switch isn't going bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I replaced the stupid marine terminal with this. That may have fixed the problem so far. Not having any issues with it cranking up now. I'll still order that part anyways. I'll keep this thread updated if it still gives me issues.
IMG_20200530_154537.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still not working, out of a whim I decided to pull the starter and have it tested. It failed. So that had to be the problem all along.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,885 Posts
It happens...at least you tried the $5 fix first :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts