The Nissan Club banner

Trade in the car for a better car , or fix the cvt tranny ?

• Trade it in bro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix the shitty cvt man it’ll be okay

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Altima lads, I have an 06 Altima 2.5 S with the shitty 4 Speed CVT. I got it used from a nun and she babied the car and barely drove it . The car had actually been maintained quite well as it only had 80,000 miles when I got it and I only had to replace tires and crankshaft sensor (of course lol ) . However , now I am at 83,000 miles and my tranny started slipping mainly in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd , overdrive (4th) is actually fine so she’s fine on the interstate but the red light traffic gets pretty annoying with the stalling and slipping . Like a dumbass I got a transmission flush bc I thought fresh fluid would help the tranny but it actually made it a lot worse of course lmao. I have contacted the best transmission repair service in my city and the guy told me straight up , he’s rebuilt hundreds of these CVT’s bc they are only designed to last for 85,000 miles . He said particularly this one will run me about $3,500 plus taxes and a 12,000 mile warranty ( I drive around 10,000 miles in a year ) honestly I was thinking of doing it bc unlike everyone else in the world I actually really like this car and I think they just really messed up with the CVT . If I could do a trans swap I would but I really only know how to do simple maintenance and I don’t know any shops who’s down for that tough job . But then again , if I pay $3,500 then I’m gonna have to get another tranny at 160,000 miles and I’ll have to deal with any future issues If they happen as well . The car is only worth $3,000 so I don’t even really wanna sell it . I would rather trade it in . Thinking about trading it in for an Infiniti G37 or a Hyundai Genesis or Honda Accord sport or Lexus IS . All I really want is an AWD 200-300 hp cheap reliable car . Please give me advice bc I don’t think I should fix the tranny . Everyone is just telling me to get rid of it but like I said I actually like the car .

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I do have a few questions for you:

1. What is a '4 Speed CVT.'? Who makes that model?

2. "I have contacted the best transmission repair service in my city and the guy told me straight up , he’s rebuilt hundreds of these CVT’s..." Really? I don't repair or replace automatic transmissions, but I know that the 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 did not have a CVT, as Nissan first started factory installing the CVT in the 2007 MY Altima. The 'best transmission repair service in my city' would know that too.

You need to come up with a believable story, as this is very low in credibility.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

2. "I have contacted the best transmission repair service in my city and the guy told me straight up , he’s rebuilt hundreds of these CVT’s..." Really? I don't repair or replace automatic transmissions, but I know that the 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 did not have a CVT, as Nissan first started factory installing the CVT in the 2007 MY Altima. The 'best transmission repair service in my city' would know that too.

You need to come up with a believable story, as this is very low in credibility.
[/QUOTE
Damn I actually admit I was wrong , I thought the 06 has a cvt but it actually just has a 4 speed automatic . I was wrong about that , but why would I go on here and type all this if I wasn’t being serious ? Fuck outta here lmao . I added the picture of the message the shop sent me so hell no I ain’t lying my tranny is slipping and I’m tryna fix it dickhead. I thought all Nissan Altima automatics were always CVT’s but I’m actually glad to know it’s not . So thank you for the mean ass advice !

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

P.S. I found the shop because it has the best reviews on Yelp in my city . I’ve never been their and I do not know if it’s credible so who knows . Eat my ass

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Your 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 has a JATCO REF404B 4 speed automatic transmission. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO. Your car does not have, nor has it ever had a CVT transmission, as Nissan introduced the CVT in the Altima in the 2007 model year.

There is no such animal as a '4 speed CVT'.

You said:

"I have contacted the best transmission repair service in my city and the guy told me straight up , he’s rebuilt hundreds of these CVT’s.

This comment by you is partially correct....Yes, you did contact his shop, but he said this: "We install new remans from Nissan all the time. This one is $3500 plus tax, with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty from Nissan".

The transmission man named "James" never said 'he's rebuilt hundreds of those CVT's'.

Do you know what he said to you? Do you know what a 'new remans from Nissan' is?

James is telling you that the CVT is remanufactured by Nissan, not him. Nissan, or JATCO, only reuses the case, and installs all new internal CVT parts, plus they warrant their work.

You have embellished your story to the point that what you say is less than credible.

My suggestion is that you go to James' transmission shop and have him install a remanufactured REF404B transmission in your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 has a JATCO REF404B 4 speed automatic transmission. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO. Your car does not have, nor has it ever had a CVT transmission, as Nissan introduced the CVT in the Altima in the 2007 model year.

You said:

"I have contacted the best transmission repair service in my city and the guy told me straight up , he’s rebuilt hundreds of these CVT’s.

This comment by you is partially correct....Yes, you did contact his shop, but he said this: "We install new remans from Nissan all the time. This one is $3500 plus tax, with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty from Nissan".

The transmission man named "James" never said 'he's rebuilt hundreds of those CVT's'.

Do you know what he said to you? Do you know what a 'new remans from Nissan' is?

James is telling you that the CVT is remanufactured by Nissan, not him. Nissan, or JATCO, only reuses the case, and installs all new internal CVT parts, plus they warrant their work.

You have embellished your story to the point that what you say is less than credible.

My suggestion is that you go to James' transmission shop and have him install a remanufactured REF404B transmission in your car.
Could I do a transmission swap ? I feel like even if I get the jatco tranny fixed it’ll still probably feel clunky and slow at shifting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You said:

Bruh why don’t I just trade it in though ? If it started slipping at 80,000 miles won’t it start again at 160k ? Lmao . And why you being such an asshole ? Your wife leave your or something ? All I wanted to know is if I should fix the tranny for around 3,000 or just get a new car . Not a bunch of smart ass advice about “JaMeS” like I said I haven’t even been to the shop yet I don’t know if they are credible and I’m the one who told him I had a cvt so maybe he just automatically assumed without telling me it’s a 4 speed.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Bruh why don’t I just trade it in though ? If it started slipping at 80,000 miles won’t it start again at 160k ? Lmao . And why you being such an asshole ? Your wife leave your or something ? All I wanted to know is if I should fix the tranny for around 3,000 or just get a new car . Not a bunch of smart ass advice about “JaMeS” like I said I haven’t even been to the shop yet I don’t know if they are credible and I’m the one who told him I had a cvt so maybe he just automatically assumed without telling me it’s a 4 speed.

Lets review so you can understand, as your 'facts' change with every post you make.

YOU are the one who claimed you had a 'shitty 4 speed CVT, I corrected you.

YOU are the one who claimed James said what his email did not say, I corrected you.

YOU are the one who will decide if you repair your car, sell it, or trade it for another. I don't really care what you do.

YOU are the one who is unable to make a decision as to what to do unless anonymous goofballs on an internet forum, like me, give you advice. That in and of itself is sad.

YOU are the one who got offended because you wrote what you think are facts, when in reality they are embellishments of the reality of the situation. I am the one who showed that you were incorrect, and now you are offended that you were called out. You should have just posted your tale of woe on Facebook, so your friends could console you by using words and phrases like 'That sucks bro' and 'That Nun ripped you off bro, and put a hex on the car.'

I suggest you sell your car, and use Uber and Lyft for transportation, that way you will never have to replace a worn out transmission again, since that is a big concern of yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lets review so you can understand, as your 'facts' change with every post you make.

YOU are the one who claimed James said what his email did not say, I corrected you.

YOU are the one who will decide if you repair your car, sell it, or trade it for another. I don't really care what you do.

YOU are the one who is unable to make a decision as to what to do unless anonymous goofballs on an internet forum, like me, give you advice. That in and of itself is sad.

YOU are the one who got offended because you wrote what you think are facts, when in reality they are embellishments of the reality of the situation. I am the one who showed that you were incorrect, and now you are offended that you were called out. You should have just posted your tale of woe on Facebook, so your friends could console you by using words and phrases like 'That sucks bro' and 'That Nun ripped you off bro, and put a hex on the car.'

I suggest you sell your car, and use Uber and Lyft for transportation, that way you will never have to replace a worn out transmission again, since that is a big concern of yours.
I posted on this forum so people could just give me advice . You my friend , are a fucking dickhead. And no the dude really said that that was just the email but I also had a phone call with him . 2nd of you little fucker I’ve changed my brakes , suspension , and ive done very good in maintenance , but no I don’t know how to work on a fucking JATCO transmission . I don’t know anyone who does and I don’t think I ever will . But you are right about one thing , I should just go ahead and take it to the shop instead of wasting my time with dick heads like you that don’t even give advice . And by the way I have another car 🤡 so yeah I ain’t using Uber or Lyft dude . You need to take a chill pill fr . Bc all I was asking for IS IF I SHOULD REBUILD THE TRANSMISSION AND KEEP DRIVING IT , OR JUST TRADE IT IN AND GET A NEWER MORE RELIABLE CAR . It’s literally a survey you don’t even have to comment you could’ve just chose an answer you dip fuck . Honestly , I tried to be respectful with you bc at first I thought you actually were going to give advice , but now you just sound like an angry old man who’s wife left him and now he’s taking it out on a guy on a fucking car forum . And in no way am I doing “embellishment” I just didn’t know that my car had a regular 4 speed automatic and not the cvt . And I’m glad I don’t have the cvt , the cvt is worse . But foreal though , with all respect , please don’t post again on this fucking forum I’m just gonna go to the shop and get actual advice . Everyone in my family is telling me to just trade it in , but I actually like the car and I wouldn’t mind driving it for another 80,000 plus miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Get off of here for real old man . We’re all just looking for advice on our cars people don’t wanna talk to assholes like you . I suggest you stay on Facebook and don’t get on another forum again 😭 I admit I was wrong about the tranny but I wasn’t fucking lying I just thought it was a CVT like the rest of them 😭 the shop is actually a really good shop , they have plenty of 5 star reviews on Yelp and they seem like a reputable source so far . Definitely more reputable than your big headed ass . One more time , I’m looking for honest good advice , not giving advice while being a smart ass , there’s a difference .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.