The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice if anyone has experience with this. I recently purchased a 2007 Sentra 2.0 with 32K miles on it. I started the car this morning and there was an immediate grinding sound in the dash before I ever put it in gear. The PS warning illuminated on the dash and the vehicle obviously had no power steering when I checked the steering wheel. I turned it off and back on 3 or 4 times and each time the PS light would stay on after the engine started. I kept trying and it finally went off and the steering felt normal. I took it for drive and had no problems as I parked it a couple of times as I was running errands. I was hoping for the best but as I was leaving the grocery store it did it again. Turning it off and on several times fixed it again.

I have researched as much as I can and have seen everything from the electric steering motor to the entire steering column need to be replaced with quotes up to $2500 . Most of the info has been on warranty replacement and little on actual repair or diagnostic info. The vehicle is out of warranty and there is no way I can afford $2500. Anyone have advice on what may be needed or how to repair it myself (if possible)?

·
Registered
98 Posts
RAY....before I put any money into it I'd contact NISSAN.

Are you sure it's out of warranty?

I could be wrong but I think the warranty starts when the vehicle is put on the road, so if it was bought in late 2007 or 2008 it still may have warranty left.

If you tell NISSAN you feel that a vehicle with such low milage shouldn't have a major problem like that they "may" repair it for you, but you have to ask.

I've had manufactuers cover parts that were out of warranty but you have to contact them and ask for a "Good Will" warranty.
I'd tell them you know NISSAN builds excellent quality vehicles so you're shocked at this problem with such low miles.

They may not do it since you're not the original warranty but it's worth a try, worse they can say is no.

If they do say no I'd ask them to meet you half way and they pay half and you pay half.

Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Is it low or very dirty? (shouldn't be with only 32,000 miles on it but the car could have been sitting a long time)
I'd try changing the fluid first to see if that helps.

Good Luck! :shift:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point....I will call them about the warranty. I guess they can just check it by VIN?

As for the fluid....the Sentra's do not have a traditional system with a power steering pump and fluid. There is an electronic motor under the dash on the steering column that controls everything. I have no idea how it attaches to everything because I cannot find any repair info for the problem on the net.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No luck on the warranty. Car went in service in June of 07. Power steering falls under bumper to bumper and not the longer power train warranty

·
Registered
98 Posts
No luck on the warranty. Car went in service in June of 07. Power steering falls under bumper to bumper and not the longer power train warranty
I'd still contact NISSAN Customer Service about a "Good Will" warrantyi

Nissan should agree that you shouldn't have steering issues with only 32,000 miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As for the fluid....the Sentra's do not have a traditional system with a power steering pump and fluid. There is an electronic motor under the dash on the steering column that controls everything. I have no idea how it attaches to everything because I cannot find any repair info for the problem on the net.
Duh......I knew that! :shift::)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for some advice if anyone has experience with this. I recently purchased a 2007 Sentra 2.0 with 32K miles on it. I started the car this morning and there was an immediate grinding sound in the dash before I ever put it in gear. The PS warning illuminated on the dash and the vehicle obviously had no power steering when I checked the steering wheel. I turned it off and back on 3 or 4 times and each time the PS light would stay on after the engine started. I kept trying and it finally went off and the steering felt normal. I took it for drive and had no problems as I parked it a couple of times as I was running errands. I was hoping for the best but as I was leaving the grocery store it did it again. Turning it off and on several times fixed it again.

I have researched as much as I can and have seen everything from the electric steering motor to the entire steering column need to be replaced with quotes up to $2500 . Most of the info has been on warranty replacement and little on actual repair or diagnostic info. The vehicle is out of warranty and there is no way I can afford $2500. Anyone have advice on what may be needed or how to repair it myself (if possible)?
Check your axle shaft you know one end goes into the transmission it may be the axle does it also make a loud hard banging sound

·
Registered
396 Posts
I started the car this morning and there was an immediate grinding sound in the dash before I ever put it in gear. The PS warning illuminated on the dash and the vehicle obviously had no power steering when I checked the steering wheel.
The problem points to a bad EPS motor. One of the first things to do is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts