The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! I need to do my 1K oil change and I am considering going synthetic. The manual states to not use synthetic. Why would they say this if all I read on the internet says dino oil is interchangable with synthetic. I will get the OEM filter from nissan, but anything else I should consider? I would also like to go synthetic in the 5spd manual gear box. Thanks for the input!

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
I've read that it's best to run dino oil for the first 2-3 changes to help with the engine seals. Apparently synthetic doesn't seal them well and can cause leaks later in the engine's life.

Not sure how trustworthy this information is, since I can't find the source right now. YMMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
it is probably a good idea to run conventional oil in your engine up to about 7000...this allows for a little bit of "wear" so that the rings seat properly. Just FYI...in my Passat, VW was dead set against changing the oil before the first oil change (at 5,000 miles) in order to allow for proper engine break in. I ran conventional oil in it up to 10,000 miles, then switched to synthetic. I plan on running conventional oil in my Altima up until about 10,000 miles also, then switching to Mobil 1. How many quarts of oil does the 3.5 V6 take, anyway?

Jim

·
Registered
113 Posts
About 4.5 quarts for the V6. I was told the same thing...to wait until at least 5k miles before switching to synthetic. For the filter, if you're gonna use synthetic, you might as well spend a few extra bucks and use the Mobile 1 filter to go with your Moble 1 oil.

Kevin

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mobil 1 filter or Nissan

Does the Mobil 1 filter have the special valve that keeps oil in the filter when the pressure is relived? Nissans filter provides this valve so that the filter stays full of oil, instead of having to re-fill up the filter everytime you start.

·
Registered
113 Posts
2002Altima said:
Hiya! I need to do my 1K oil change and I am considering going synthetic. The manual states to not use synthetic. Why would they say this if all I read on the internet says dino oil is interchangable with synthetic. I will get the OEM filter from nissan, but anything else I should consider? I would also like to go synthetic in the 5spd manual gear box. Thanks for the input!
You must have a different manual than I do. My 02' SE manual specifically says that synthetic may be used as long as the API rating and viscosity are correct, and you don't mix with regular oil. I haven't changed my oil yet, but I have looked underneath and it does look pretty straight forward....the filter is mounted at 90 degrees on the passenger side of the engine, right behind the front passenger tire....this is for the V6 of course.

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
As others have said.... wait a while before switching, although its not entirely neccessary, my car came with sythetic from the factory. Mobil 1 is good brand, I like there filters to.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The same question appeared in R&T. Porsche ship their car with Mobil 1 but Porsche also run their engine before shipment.

Cut to the chase, basically, new cars are better made these days and so break in period is shortened. 1000 mile with convention oil and you should be able to swap in syn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts