The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad akready has some 5w-30 can I use this instead of the 10w-30? what diffrence will it make?

·
Registered
22 Posts
yup 5w-30 Mobil1 Synthetic as reccomended by most here.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
5w-30 is the preferred, 10w-30 is acceptable.

5w-30 just flows better during the winter, if you look in your manual, it will be a icon of the temperature ranges and what is best for your car..

I think 5w-30 is somewhere under 0Degrees to close to 100, and 10w-30 is from 0degrees and up... just depends where you live... I'm in FL and 5/30 is ok. but my wife;'s car recommend 10w.

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
5w-30 !!! If you are looking for every ounce of power you can get the 5w-30 is thinner so it will take less resistance to make it flow !!!! Less resistance = more power .....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i went 10w-30 cuz i was hoping it was thicker...but i can't tell the diff.
Jay

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
shawn is right. i used 10-40 once and it just seemed the "little gears" in the motor werent churning fast enough. 5-30 is A LOT better. id only recommend the thicker oils when you have a lot of miles on your car and it leaks.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
is 150k enough miles?
=)
Jay

·
SR20DE/sss
80 Posts
ThurzNite said:
i went 10w-30 cuz i was hoping it was thicker...but i can't tell the diff.
Jay
You can't distinguish them but there is a big difference with its boiling point...lower viscosity, has lower boiling point so you could use them during cold weather as it is easier for the oil to reach the reccomended teperaure to run the car normally. In tropical areas where the climate is usually hot, or when you race, you should use an oil with a higher viscosity so it won't boil easily.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
osama said:
Yeah, but the stuff animals keep rolling around the rear deck...gotta find a way to strap them down. Those aren't mine...owner put them there cuz she wants the Altima to look "cute".
Jay

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
SHAWN said:
5w-30 !!! If you are looking for every ounce of power you can get the 5w-30 is thinner so it will take less resistance to make it flow !!!! Less resistance = more power .....
It's 30-weight oil. It just behaves like 5w at low temperature. It's not thinner. You better hope it's not thinner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
5W-30 conventional sucks in a hot climate. The stuff will evaporate and burn off even in a new engine. Its fine up north since the temperature gets below freezing frequently.

The only reason it is recommending is for fuel economy.

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
kenshi said:

It's 30-weight oil. It just behaves like 5w at low temperature. It's not thinner. You better hope it's not thinner.
yea actually it is thinner , try dumping out a 10w-30 then dumping a 5w-30 ...the 5w is thinner right from the bottle .....in fact some of the newer cars like some hondas and fords are using a 0w-30 oil , so it is geting even thinner , next drag race I am going to run a 0w-30 and see if it helps .....

·
350Z
5,899 Posts
ok, I have always done oil changes at the dealer, they use chevron. Now I live in AZ and its very hot. Which oil should I go with. Stick with chevron, go with mobil 1 or valvoline??

·
DRGN4DR
2,128 Posts
osama...i think brown and brown uses valvoline...and they always use 10w30 in all the cars.....i also use valvoline 10w30 when i do mine.....

·
Resident Dj =)
580 Posts
Ok I hope you guys realize that 5W doesn't mean 5 weight, the W stands for Winter, so people in areas that dont have snow can go with 5-30, or 10-30 and not worry, 10-30 is recommended in the desert since the temperatures are so hot and the oil stands up better than 5-30, I use 5-30 cuz I can feel a difference when I switched from 10-30, car moves quicker. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts