The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the Berk WAI and am scouring over past posts concerning MAF's going out when I notice even more complaints from early on in the release of the 05's where some people actually didn't even believe people having 3.5's that top out at 115. I tested this and indeed my 05 3.5 auto does top out at 115. It's a strange kind of topping out, someone else described it as getting "floaty." It's not a flat out fuel cut like you'd experience in a UHaul truck at 65, it's just an easing up and refusal to go any faster. I realize the manual models have better tires and a higher spd limit, but if this theory that Nissan set the limit on the auto a bit lower due to the speed rating on the tire, then the dealer should offer and ECU reprogram at no charge once I purchase either aftermarket wheels and tires, or just high speed rated tires. I'm going in to the dealership on Tuesday and am going to start off playing dumb, telling them something is wrong because the car won't go over 115, and then I'll play ball with them and see what I can find out. (I will not have the WAI installed by then.) I live right on I35 and have the luxury of traveling at autobahn speeds between San Antonio and Austin on a regular basis, so this limiter really sucks!(Just pointing this out because it never fails that someone declares 'well ya never drive that fast so it shouldnt matter anyways.') I'll let you know Tuesday night how the dealer has resolved my complaint!

·
Da Shiznit
1,117 Posts
This is the dumbest post I have ever seen... There is never a need to travel regularly at speeds over 115....

The dealer will laugh you out of the place....

·
No, you can't drive it!
683 Posts
Really! I guess you'll soon be getting acquainted with your local DPS trooper.

A hint, their cars don't have limiters!

I wish I could be there when you make your product complaint! I'd be suprised if they don't void your warranty for reckless abuse.

Autobahn? Not even close! I drive that stretch regularly and there is no way to drive over 90 safely. Way too many trucks!

Slow down and live!

Fred

·
Da Shiznit
1,117 Posts
dadster said:

I wish I could be there when you make your product complaint! I'd be suprised if they don't void your warranty for reckless abuse.

Fred
I didn't think of that.... They probably will :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we all have our own opinions... I'll stand on the side of the line with the sports car owners, and you can stand...over there.;) I'm just trying to seeing if my dealer has the capability to remove or extend the speed limiter on my car via computer at the dealership. That's what I should have said the first time! Cheers!

·
Da Shiznit
1,117 Posts
NBTX05Altima said:
Well, we all have our own opinions... I'll stand on the side of the line with the sports car owners, and you can stand...over there.;)
What does that mean? You have no idea what I drive besides an altima.... Even if I had a Ferrari I still wouldn't drive 115+ on a public highway....

Slow down and maybe you'll live to be 26+

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... I wonder if you could have your warranty voided for that??? I don't think so because the car goes 115, so, it goes 115! ...but hearing about all the Mitsu Evo owners having warranties pulled makes me wonder....?

·
No, you can't drive it!
683 Posts
Sorry, most dealers don't know how to program the easy stuff (like ignition advance). The limiter is hard coded and would require a JWT or TechnoSquare upgrade to remove.

By the way, there are several tracks locally where I have enjoyed significantly extra-legal speeds safely!

There are also some very quiet back roads in your neighborhood with long straight stretches to let that Alty run. Just be careful on 35. A lot of people are getting killed out there!

Fred

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...mwahahaha.....I'll beat you to 115, wave at you behind me,and toss a handful of nails out the sunroof! Mwa hahahaha!

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
i don't see why nissan would limit the governor to 115mph. it would probably disuade quite a few people from buying it. however, there isn't a reason for anyone to go that fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So these ECU reprograms that remove your speed limiter... is this a risky mod? It seems to be one that few people do to their cars, but maybe it's due to the high price.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Its not only the 05 auto's there is a person here with a 5speed 05 who's also tested the top speed at 115mph. There's probably nothing you could do other members have already tried. True there is no reason to have to go faster then 115mph, but the 02-04 3.5 can....so I think is sucks, doesn't really matter to me since I have an 03;)

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
the cost isn't the reason why most people don't do the ecu flash. most people don't have a means of transportation if they send out their ecu's. basically, the alty will be laid up for about a week or 2.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.