The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2002 Altima. For some reason, my cell phone battery recharging plug can not make proper connection to either one of the two 12-volt receptacles in the vehicle.

Nissan tested both receptacles and found that there was 12 volts available at both of them. They said that this problem has been reported to them before by other people, but that the problem was that the recharging plug on some cell phones are not the "right size" to fit the receptacles in the Altima. They advised ordering another battery charging plug from another source. I did this, but the problem has not corrected itself. By the way, I have no problem recharging the cell phone in my other vehicle.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? Any sage words of advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If the side contact of the charger is not touching the inner wall of the hole try bending it out futher so It pushes against it. And if you push it in all the way the tip should be touching the center of the hole and work.....

Do you know why it doesnt fit? Is it to small or doesnt go in all the way?

Hmm this sounds a little sick :rolleyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I dont know how handy you are but you can always goto Radioshack and buy a cigerette lighter plug, cut the original one off the charger and install the new plug, should work!

I would also get a multimeter and test the socket for 12V to make sure the nissan dealer wasnt lying to you.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Abstraxx said:
If the side contact of the charger is not touching the inner wall of the hole try bending it out futher so It pushes against it. And if you push it in all the way the tip should be touching the center of the hole and work.....

Do you know why it doesnt fit? Is it to small or doesnt go in all the way?

Hmm this sounds a little sick :rolleyes:
I hope I dont sound immature but, :lol: :lol: :lol: that was hillarious :D

·
A+, MCP
1,111 Posts
JBL85 said:
I hope I dont sound immature but, :lol: :lol: :lol: that was hillarious :D
LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hmmm I laughed when I first finished writing it, But I just read it again and cracked up...... :)

Maybe I can be a sex advisor???

Anybody want me to post a diagram with arrows where to find the hole???

LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Abstraxx,

I did try bending the side contacts of both the original and the replacement plugs on the chargers, but it didn't help any.

What's strange is that the plugs APPEAR to fit in the receptacles just fine. That's why I also tested the voltage with my multimeter and found that the dealer was not lying ... there really is 12 volts at both receptacles.

I suspect that the problem may be that the center contact on the plugs (for god knows what reason) isn't making good contact with the center contact on the receptacles. Why? Who knows.

I guess I should see whether any other kinds of 12V powered equipment (like my camping air matress pump) works with the installed receptacles.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would try buying a new plug at radioshack and cliping the old one off your charger and putting the new one on. I have done alot of custom 12 stuff in my altima, I have bought a cigerette lighter plug from radioshack and it fit and worked fine.

You can buy the plug and test it before you clip your charger, plug it in and test the 2 wires for 12 volts, If you got it you know it will work as long as you hook it up with correct polarity.

You can always return it!

·
hello
3,517 Posts
or maybe its a cheap charger? at first, i bought one of them generic motorola car chargers, and i would have to force it in really really tight just to get it to charge, but when i bought an oem one, i just plugged it and it works great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts