The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a StreetGlow Music Interface, to make bulbs flash to music. I have to connect 1 wire, that has its own fuse connected to it, to a 12volt source. The other ground wire, must be connected to the car body. Where can I find a constant 12v source? I have never soldered before, so the easiest way possible is what I am looking for. Thanks.

·
Non-Newbie
476 Posts
The easiest way would probably be to run the pos. wire to the pos. terminal on the battery through an existing hole in the firewall. As you already stated; the ground can be connected to pretty much any where on the body that you can find a solid piece of metal to attach it to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
NO STOP DON'T DO IT!!!! running wires through the firewall isn't worth it... ALL NOOBS AND VETERANS LISTEN UP!!!! you can use one of the wires going to your cigarette lighter!!!! you don't have to drill through the firewall!!!!! it's just that easy!!!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would I do this? Cut the lighter cable, then split it? Ho w can you split a single wire? The set comes with easy split connectors. I still don't know how you would split the connection to the lighter or how to find which cable is the 12v cable to the lighter. Sorry, I am a n00b :).

·
Noir Mat
921 Posts
how about just wrapping the pos. wire to the radio fuse and then ground it to the body?

peace
dante

·
Registered
129 Posts
How to find a 12v power source without drilling through the firewall!

it's actually pretty easy...

1: pull out the little plastic ring around the cigarette lighter
2: that should loosen the whole lighter and be able to pull it right out
3: disconnect the cable but pull it out, set the actual lighter aside
4: if you have one, use a wire stripper that tells the guages of wire it'll strip, then.. CAREFULLY strip the wires, you can strip both, or play roulette and hope you strip the right one
5: find or borrow a voltometer to see if it's giving off a 12v charge... positive or negative (when i was hooking up my leds, it needed to be positive)
6: then cut the positive wire in half (if you NEED the positive wire) and use the wire connector to connect the wires, and if i remember correctly, you can run the other half of the wire in the wire connector too so you can still use your cigarette lighter (if you need it.. i didn't.. but hey.. you never know when you'll need to burn something) :D
7:electrical tape the exposed wires so they will never touch
now connect the lighter connector to the actual lighter
8: push all the wires in the little hole
9: put the lighter in the hole
10: put the plastic ring on, if it doesn't snap in, then try a dab of glue (they'll never notice)

and there you have it!!!

~*How To Find A 12v Power Source Without Drilling Through The Firewall*~

Faqing this would be helpful to people who constantly ask where to find it -hint hint-

-Chris

·
DIY User
657 Posts
chrishill is right... to an extent.... the cigarette lighter ciruit is only disigned to take so much current... the more stuff you ahve connects the more power it pulls, than you will blow the fuse..... i think it is the same circuit ats the radio too so than you lost the radio.... also the cigarette lighter socket isnt a constant 12v sorce...... so the key will have to be in the ignition for the interface to work..... i would run one low gauge power wire throught the firewall once....than to the + terminal.... than somewhere in the cabin terminate the wire into a distribution box.... that whay you can keep adding more and more as your ride progresses, if you try thart with the cig outlet eventually you will pass the line the ciruit can take.

hope this helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of doing the above and running the device to the battery, couldn't I just connect the wires to a cigarette lighter adapter? I would still use the fuse but I would connect the fused wire to the power wire and the ground to the ground wire. It would be a constant 12v source when I would be using it, but I would just unplug it when not used. I don't know, I have never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
129 Posts
what i did for my LED kit is run one wire tothe positive ignition, one to the cigarette lighter, and one to the ground... and thanks to nocoastmusic .. i now know why my radio doesn't work... grrrrr.. how can i fix this guys???.. and WOULD it fix it if i got a bigger fuse for the radio?....anyway... it DOES have a constant 12v.. and it only cuts on when there's a key in the ignition and turned.. not on.. just turned.. so it's a good battery saving device!!!..

-Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do I know witch cig light wire is the 12v wire? How do I determine this? Also, if I have a 15 fuse in for the gig lighter can I put in a 30? Will this be bad?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a red wire and a black wire, would it be the red? When I use the volt, can I just stab the wire? Do I nned to ground the second volt connector first? Sorry total n00b.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, everyone! I have finished the installation. I cut the 12v cig lighter wire and plugged it with the other end and the fuse wire. Everything works great. Now the next project :).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do the different colored wires mean different volts? I am trying to change my pedals to new lighted pedals. I have added several lights to the cig wire. Now I have mounted the toggle switch, for the pedal lights, on the drivers side. This may sound complicated... to the left and underneath the fuse box. I removed the plastic cover to reveal a bunch of wires, that are all taped together. I removed some of the tape to reveal the wires. Is there any easy way to find witch wire is a 12v source? Are they colored for a certain reason? Thanks for reading, and for the help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts