The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the previous owner of my altima never used synthetic so I have been using 10W-30 Valvoline. Should I try a thicker oil cause of the high miles and possible fact thinner oil may leak on a higher mileage engine? I think Shawn said he used 5w-30? I am changing my oil relatively soon and I am curious to whats best. Any answers would sure help.
 

·
Import Tech.
Joined
·
4,709 Posts
NO NO NO !!!!!! If you have no leaks and are not using oil you could run 5w-30 all you want !!! It will be better on your engine !!!! And you could switch to a synthetic oil to keep it together when you are hard on it !!!! I purchased my car with 130K and went to 5w-30 synthetic Valvoline oil with no problems at all !!!!! If you are using oil ( blue smoke at times ) then you could go to a 20w-50 oil and or a synthetic oil to keep it from burning as much !!
 

·
Shadetree Mechanic
Joined
·
8,251 Posts
SHAWN said:
NO NO NO !!!!!! If you have no leaks and are not using oil you could run 5w-30 all you want !!! It will be better on your engine !!!! And you could switch to a synthetic oil to keep it together when you are hard on it !!!! I purchased my car with 130K and went to 5w-30 synthetic Valvoline oil with no problems at all !!!!! If you are using oil ( blue smoke at times ) then you could go to a 20w-50 oil and or a synthetic oil to keep it from burning as much !!
:D
 

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
Joined
·
9,646 Posts
NISSANFREAK said:
Ok the previous owner of my altima never used synthetic so I have been using 10W-30 Valvoline. Should I try a thicker oil cause of the high miles and possible fact thinner oil may leak on a higher mileage engine? I think Shawn said he used 5w-30? I am changing my oil relatively soon and I am curious to whats best. Any answers would sure help.
This is a bit OT but I have a serious question for you.

Weight Reduction:
-Lightened custom hood
-Removed a/c compressor
-Removed a/c condensor
-Removed receiver/dryer
-Racing harts
-Removed metal plate from back seat
-Shaved bumper reinforcements


You know this weighs like 1 pound, maybe 24 ounces with the bolts..... Why would you list that as a mod? I'm not trying to break your ballz or anything. I was just curious, cause all of the audio guyz in I.C.E do this, but for drastically different reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok hows this

I changed my user cp now. It was a bit outdated anyways. Your right Deranged its only like a lb if that. Yeah I am going to switch to synthetic then 5w-30 valvoline. I dont burn and run my car hard so its a better way to go. I am installing my hotshot header next week and moving to synthetic. Thanks for the advice Shawn. BTW how much was your all motor setup. I can get mine done easily. Whats a rough estimate on just the parts?
 

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
Joined
·
9,646 Posts
Re: Ok hows this

NISSANFREAK said:
I changed my user cp now. It was a bit outdated anyways. Your right Deranged its only like a lb if that. Yeah I am going to switch to synthetic then 5w-30 valvoline. I dont burn and run my car hard so its a better way to go. I am installing my hotshot header next week and moving to synthetic. Thanks for the advice Shawn. BTW how much was your all motor setup. I can get mine done easily. Whats a rough estimate on just the parts?
I was just curious, I wasn't trying to be mean....

Oh BTW if you want to lighten your car even more. Go buy DZ Coilovers. You'll shave way over 20lbs of weight.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
well yes i guess you are correct but since he said the previous owner was using syntec and i heard once you use it you should or need to stick to it but i dunno its what i heard so i assumed that Freak kept syntec.

SHAWN said:
NO NO NO !!!!!! If you have no leaks and are not using oil you could run 5w-30 all you want !!! It will be better on your engine !!!! And you could switch to a synthetic oil to keep it together when you are hard on it !!!! I purchased my car with 130K and went to 5w-30 synthetic Valvoline oil with no problems at all !!!!! If you are using oil ( blue smoke at times ) then you could go to a 20w-50 oil and or a synthetic oil to keep it from burning as much !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
se_12alty said:
well yes i guess you are correct but since he said the previous owner was using syntec and i heard once you use it you should or need to stick to it but i dunno its what i heard so i assumed that Freak kept syntec.

There are no problems with switching from synthetic back to conventional or a different brand. That's an old problem that first became apparent in the early 70's and is irrelevant today.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top