The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used 195/50-15 tires for performance?

I figure the smaller diameter ought to give a little better acceleration, though it'd throw off the speedometer and odometer, and the 15" rim ought to be lighter than 16".

I'm considering putting them on 15" Rota Slipstreams.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Your wheel gap will look like someone put grocery cart wheels on Bigfoot, but I suppose it would work for straight line. 195 is a little narrow for the turns, though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really care how it looks.

I just want it to be fast :)

I suppose 205/50-15 would be another option.

·
"In Orbe Terum Non Visi"
874 Posts
kierandill said:
Your wheel gap will look like someone put grocery cart wheels on Bigfoot, but I suppose it would work for straight line. 195 is a little narrow for the turns, though.
I couldn't agree more! I used to have a set of 205/50/15's mounted on my ride and I got rid of them for some 17's. It rides fine but it looks really "FUGLY". Now I just use them during "really bad" winter season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just mounted 205/40-16's on my '01 GXE.
Sort of an extreem version of what you're suggesting. That's about a 10% change in final drive over the 205/60-15's it came with. And that's about how much it feels like too. Not a big change, but some. The real difference is in how fast I can corner now. I can turn at some really stupid speeds. It does look a little small in that wheel well. In retrospect I'd have gone with 205/50-16's, but I don't consider the 40's a big mistake. They did lower the car about 3/4's of an inch, so I scrape coming up my driveway now. That part is kind of a bummer.

·
1,592 Posts
if you are planning on using 15 in rims, you shouldn't use any less than 205 width tire. wider means more contact patch w/the road, meaning better traction.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i have 205/50/15's and i like them a lot. except for the wheel well gap :( i just ordered my sprints and KYB's though so the gap shall plague me no longer! ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, do you notice the 205/50-15s to be any faster than the 205/60-15s?

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
Our stock set of wheels are now 98 SE alloys on 205/60 15 Michellin MVR-4. They are much lighter than the steelies. I would say to stay with at least 205 width, maybe even go to 215 for a wider stability.

·
Registered
337 Posts
MiniMaxima said:
The real difference is in how fast I can corner now. I can turn at some really stupid speeds.
Since you have ~10% difference with the new tires, your actual speed is lower than it shows. Works for scaring (girl) passengers, i guess :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
steves said:
So, do you notice the 205/50-15s to be any faster than the 205/60-15s?
they might be just a little bit faster than the stock 60's, but they def are better in the corners......and they'll be really nice when my sprints get here....i already got my KYB's!!!! oh and my speedometer is 5 mph slow now......like if it says 75 im really goin 70 :(

·
where is that cone from
454 Posts
I use 13" wheel for my autox car, the gain in performace is incredible, because its lower center gravity, lighter unspun weight, less rotational mass and shorter final gearing as result, more stable, more handling, more power.

If you are into autox this is highly recommanded set-up for mininum amount of money but you only have limited tires size selection. and you'll give up some of top speed.

·
A-arm brace man
392 Posts
13" wheels?! what size tire do you use??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts