The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying an Altima that I saw in a local classified for $3800. It is a 1993 with AT, AC, PW, ABS. I currently drive a 1999 Sentra SE-L and am a huge Nissan fan, but have very little experience with the Altima.

Can anyone tell me if there is any recalls for the 1993? common Altima problems I should look out for? Or anything in particular I should ask about when looking at the car. Please email me or post to this thread...thanks!

Dave

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Seriously, i think you're better off with the Sentra SE-R. It's newer and therefore in better condition.

If this is for a 2nd car, in addition to the sentra, then look at it.

Look for all the basics when looking for a car. I'll tell ya, there's nothing to really look out for, with the Altima. It's a good car. But to tell ya the truth, i'd wait and see if a newer model pops up. A 93 is sort of old, who knows what could be wrong with it. I'd wait and get a 95+. Make sure it's an SE with a 5 spd. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a 2nd car for my g/f actually. I love my sentra to death, but might trade it in for the 2002 Maxima :)

Auto is preferred, but I can see the fun, and maintenance benefits with a manual. So it seems like the Altima is one solid car huh?

·
See ya
2 Posts
93 here........the only prob I have had since exactly one year ago when I got the car was the alternator. Everything else is awesome. And for the amount you mentioned, that really is not too bad of a deal. Negotiate!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well this is my first post here. Its cool to see how many others out there drive altima's. Anyways i have a 93' se and love it, but i have had alot of problems. The major one was the transmission which had to be rebuilt (ouch), and i had to replace the alt., water pump, and stater since i owned the car. It has 120K miles on it so i guess it is to be expected. Other then that it is a great car!

D

·
0 Posts
I have a 93 as well. The only recall it ever had was something with the throttle cable. Just look under the hood for a sticker saying that is was repaired. I love my car, but like most everyone else with a 93/4, its had its issues. I bought it almost 2 years ago with 88k, about 123k now. I have replaced - battery, antenna mast, starter, radiator, water pump, RF axle and a throttle linkage thingy. Some 93/94's also had limited slip diff as an option. Check the transaxle model #, its on a plate near the driver door hinges. If the # ends in a "V" is has LSD, if it ends in a "U" it does not.

Demmy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car has 140k and is an automatic. I am concerned that I will be putting a lot of money into repairing this vehicle. Thanks for all your great inputs! I will be sure to look into all these items. My ex used to have a 97 Altima GXE, and it was awesome. The SE models are really scarce, I dun think I'll have an easy time looking for one.

So these engines are tough as hell huh? I know a 140k SE-R is nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Used 93

Mine is a used '93 GLE with all the bells and whistles. I love it. espcially the Heads-up-display. But I got bent over the used car salesmans desk, and everyone in the showroom took turns on me, when I bought the damn thing. To make a long story short. don't by a used car from a dealer (I don't think you are) and get the thing checked out by a mechanic. You can actually call up some group and the will go to where ever it is and check it out. It's about $200 bucks. But that could save you a lot of money in the future.

I wound up having to replace the motor because some asshole didn't want to get the head gasket replaced. instead they put that stop leak shit in it. I also had to replace the radiator because of this. Not to mention being forced to redo the exhaust because the last owner lived in connecticut and I'm in virginia. The title had been launderd.

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
mrdeucie said:
I would check to see if the transmission was rebuilt or replaced. It seems like a lot of us are having transmission problems.
which transmission have people been having problems with? the autos or the manuals. i'm thinking about buying a 93 with a 5spd.

thanks,
dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
jiggersplat
The Nissan Club
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing