The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and need some help figuring out a problem with my car...I have a 1993 nissan sentra xe.

I think there is an issue with my abs system. The break pedal locks up every now and then while im driving and i have zero breaks for about 1-3 seconds (very scary). Ive checked and cleaned and taken apart the breaks themselves and everything looks good. I have also bled the system recently. Sometimes i also hear a noice coming from the engine bay/front passenger side wheel that sounds like a humming and even a light grinding noise.

If anyone has expericed this before please please please help me out before i crash this thing.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,756 Posts
More likely a vacumn leak in the brake booster (rubber hoses die over time and yours are rather aged). That would make the pedal feel locked....but in reality you just have no power assist.

If you have absolutely no braking whatsoever during this 1-3 seconds and no pedal movement is possible. Try removing the ABS controller fuse while the system is functioning (engine on or off matters not) normally. This will disable ABS, but prevent the controller from locking up the individual brake lines during a malfunction.

I don't think the master cylinder could cause a no-brakes condition.

Any codes or dashlights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly this is awesome!

The abs warning light goes on when i start the car then goes off after about 5 seconds like normal.

Ive driven cars with manual breaks and this isnt it. When the fault happens i press the pedal as hard as i can and it does nothing. Sometimes i pump the pedal and that helps break it loose again but usually it just free's up on its own. I did just take the the abs motor fuse out and will be going for a ride soon and see if that gets rid of it. There is also a smaller fuse for the abs solenoid that i wasnt sure if i should take out.

The problem is so inconsistent, sometimes ill feel a slight vibration in the pedal and feel like its about to get stuck again then it goes away and my breaks feel normal. I usually gear down all the time now and leave my self lots of room incase it happens.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,756 Posts
Pull both fuses just to be sure to isolate the ABS system in an inactive state. You just need to be a little more careful in slippery road conditions after disabling it...but it will be far safer than no brakes at all, especiallly if someone else ever has to drive the car..most people panic when the brakes don't work at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts