The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, longtime fan of these forums and the awesome people here. unfortunately im in a pickle with my altima (i love this car). I have a 1995 nissan altima gxe and i'm not getting any spark. Fuel pump had given me issues so I assumed that was the problem. I changed the fuel pump & filter but it didn't fix my problem.

The battery is good, the engine turns and everything is good..except no spark at all.

Plug from ignition coil is getting NO spark. I thought maybe it's the ignition coil. So I changed that, didn't help. I just changed the distributor cap a few weeks ago, and the distributor itself is actually only about 1.5 years old.

Have also changed the starter about 8 months ago. Now where it gets interesting.

So this leads me to the idea that it might be the distributor. I heard this model has problems with the distributor, any truth to that? I checked all my fuses, and relays as well..so I am getting ready to fork out the money for a distributor when I look at the plug that actually goes into the distributor.

It is very very brittle, and when I unplug it, a buttload of plastic comes out of it...I took a picture of the connector and connection and attached it here. So I guess I'm wondering if this is my cuplrit? I should also add that I did look in the distributor cap and it looked clean + no oil inside of it..
Sorry long post, so TLDR edition:

-Fuel Pump and filter are both good
-Battery and starter are good, engine turns well
-Distributor cap has no oil in it and looks good as does the rotor
-Distributor pigtail looks like crap as shown in the picture
-Ignition Coil is good

Anyone with more leads or info is appreciated!! Thanks

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
sounds like you're on the path now; I'd fix the most upstream ignition part first - which I think is your plan.

I heard this model has problems with the distributor, any truth to that?
Well you have a distributor that's only 1.5 yrs old, so the prior one must have failed in some manor. All parts fail.

Mine failed, via oil getting past the seal into the distributor, in 800 miles after I used synthetic oil in an engine oil change.
(Dumb, don't switch to synthetic oil in old car - it's seals must have reacted to a changed oil chemistry, I'm thinking.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to try and change the wire tomorrow and will update with results..was hoping to have someone comment on if the cord looked like it wasn't connecting or not, but from what I understand it's not too common for these things to break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there. Long story short it was the camshaft inside the distributor. So I changed the distributor. Seems like these model altimas eat them up, so I got one with a life time warranty (which happened to be the reman..go figure). I changed the wire harness, and that actually didn't seem to be the problem, but it's changed all the same. Now, my problem is that the spark plug wires need to be changed. Otherwise she's running good. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts