The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my car, pushed the clutch and turned the key. Nothing happened. I could hear two relays in the dash click, but the engine never turned over. There was lots of juice in the battery, the radio, blower fan, all that worked. Push started the car and it started, ran perfect. Then I stopped the engine, pushed the clutch and turned the key and it started right up!! And has ever since tonight.

Anyone run into this before?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i can't think of anything. u check the obvious like throttle position sensors?
Jay

·
Registered
475 Posts
it could easily be a bad brushing on the starter....it just wont start when the starter is in a certain position, its pretty common on a dying starter....or it could be loose wires... Next time it wont start, try and hit it with 12V right on the starter to see if its the wires or a bad spot on the brushings....if it starts up without you moving it, its the wires, if not its probably the brushings on the starter motor

·
a.k.a. Big Daddy
64 Posts
That is the same thing that happened to me when my starter went. It's a funny thing because at least every other car that I owned if the starter was going it would let you know at least. It just straight up died on me in the alty. It was kinda messed up cause it happened on one of the coldest nights last year and I was coming out of the bar. Needless to say I had to walk home. Luckily I only lived about 1/2 mile away. The moral of this post is: Change that starter quick. Don't wait to get stuck again for good.

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
it's the coil or the brushes. if you are hearing the click, to solenoid is working. i am currently still going through this. i replaced the brushes on my, but the coil was slightly damaged. brushes are $20, can't buy the coil separately. it worked for about a week before it died again. looks like i will be buying a whole new starter now.

i ****ing hate my car.

http://pub52.ezboard.com/fnortheastmkivsuprasfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1144.topic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this normal for a car with 90,000 miles?? I couldn't here the starter clicking, just the relays in the dash. The lights didn't even dim when I was trying to turn it over.

Thanks guys!!

k9inc said:
That is the same thing that happened to me when my starter went. It's a funny thing because at least every other car that I owned if the starter was going it would let you know at least. It just straight up died on me in the alty. It was kinda messed up cause it happened on one of the coldest nights last year and I was coming out of the bar. Needless to say I had to walk home. Luckily I only lived about 1/2 mile away. The moral of this post is: Change that starter quick. Don't wait to get stuck again for good.

·
a.k.a. Big Daddy
64 Posts
yeah it can happen at anytime. Mine went at around 80,000.

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
myz24 said:
Is this normal for a car with 90,000 miles?? I couldn't here the starter clicking, just the relays in the dash. The lights didn't even dim when I was trying to turn it over.

Thanks guys!!

if you don't hear the starter solenoid clicking there could be other problems. what i recommend is checking the terminals of the solenoid for voltage. there are three leads on the solenoid. one goes to the battery, one goes to the starter motor and the other goes to the ignition switch. check the lead coming from the ignition switch and make sure there is 12v there when the key is in the start position. if there's voltage there, the problem is with your starter. if there isn't, it's an electrical problem (probably anti-theft or clutch lockout if you have a manual tranny).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I got the car up on some ramps. I'm an idiot and didn't test the leads on the starter while I had it up.

Anway, I'm thinking there is something with the one that goes to the ignition switch because I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now the car is starting ok.

Today was really bad. I feel pretty damn stupid out in my parking lot pushing starting the car on my own!

Yes, it is a manual. Me and another guy were listening under the hood and can hear the relay going when the clutch is pushed in and out during a start (and the engine doesn't turn over) so I'm guessing this is working but I didn't probe anything.

jiggersplat said:

if you don't hear the starter solenoid clicking there could be other problems. what i recommend is checking the terminals of the solenoid for voltage. there are three leads on the solenoid. one goes to the battery, one goes to the starter motor and the other goes to the ignition switch. check the lead coming from the ignition switch and make sure there is 12v there when the key is in the start position. if there's voltage there, the problem is with your starter. if there isn't, it's an electrical problem (probably anti-theft or clutch lockout if you have a manual tranny).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm lost. If he hears something clicking, doesn't that mean his battery connection's fine?
Jay

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
ThurzNite said:
I'm lost. If he hears something clicking, doesn't that mean his battery connection's fine?
Jay
Not necessarily. It might pass enough current to energize the relay, but not enough to crank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today I got into my 94 XE and tried to start the car and nothing happened. All the lights(dome,dash) work and the battery has plenty of juice. I was wondering how much it would cost me to replace the starter motor if in fact this is the problem? I'm in college and right now can't afford to take it to the Nissan dealership and be price gouged by the service department....they always get the job done but charge you an arm and leg

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you have your head under the hood and you can hear the clicking it sounds more like the plunger in the starter than a relay.

But it sounds like a general starter problem. Just because a starter works sometimes doesn't mean it isn't broken.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts