The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got a buddy with an issue.
The vehicle runs great until it warms up, then the car emits a gasoline smell as if it were super rich, then promptly dies the next time it comes to a stop.
The check engine light is on for a knock sensor but I know the sensor wouldn't pop the light on its own.
So I'm thinking it's either the MAF or the cam position sensor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, we're both in our twenties working crazy hours and he needs this car for a little while longer.

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
A) then the car emits a gasoline smell as if it were super rich, then promptly dies the next time it comes to a stop.
B) The check engine light is on for a knock sensor but I know the sensor wouldn't pop the light on its own.
A) could the fuel pump be delivering gasoline at too high a pressure? Don't know why this would start or be temp sensitive though. Luck here, really no clue.
B) Like this guy, my '97 Altima knock sensor CEL comes on for the last three years if I use regular gas. So I use mid-grade now and no CEL. I'm guessing my local fuel is downgraded in octane to make more money for refineries; there is no state agency here monitoring truth in octane ratings. :confused:

·
HoopersGarage
5 Posts
Hi all, I've got a buddy with an issue.
The vehicle runs great until it warms up, then the car emits a gasoline smell as if it were super rich, then promptly dies the next time it comes to a stop.
The check engine light is on for a knock sensor but I know the sensor wouldn't pop the light on its own.
So I'm thinking it's either the MAF or the cam position sensor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, we're both in our twenties working crazy hours and he needs this car for a little while longer.
Sorry for a late response, you prolly long past this. But may help some oon forum.
This is a classic symptom of an intake manifold vacuum leak. Easy to diagnose. With the engine warm at idle, spray some carb or brake cleaner where the intake manifold bolts to the head upstream of each injector. If the idle suddenly becomes rough, you have an air leak, a broken intake manifold gasket at that point. Usually it's at the #4 intake port.
Couple ways to fix that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts