The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I've got a power steering pump that's begun to squeal (it's not the belt). Guessing a bearing is starting to go bad. Took a look underneath the car, this is not going to be easy to get out at all. The top mounting bolt looks like the most difficult one to get to, there's a flange for a mounting bracket around it (so a regular wrench won't get to it) and there's not enough space to get a ratchet and socket in between the bolt and engine frame. I'm gonna look at the auto parts store to see if I can find a shallow well socket or wrench of some kind to get to the stupid bolt, but just wondered if anyone had some ideas to take the pump off, other than pulling out the motor? Thanks

·
1,484 Posts
It's not that hard. You have to release the tension on the belt. Pull the tire off, and remove the inner fender well, or move it out of the way. Then you have to use an open ended wrench to slide in that small groove to remove the mounting bolts to the frame piece. Are you sure you're just not low on fluids though?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, fluid level seems to be perfectly fine. Thanks for the tip on the inner fender, I was hoping there was an easier way to access the upper bolt. Glad I don't have any other plans for today, this is a pain! LOL

·
1,484 Posts
Hey if you are going to remove that pump out, you might want to replace the PCV valve, since it's not to hard with the pump out of there. In order to replace the PCV valve anyway, you have to move the power steering pump out of the way. I did that too, and it was a pain.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
That pump will own you tho!

Trust me on that one, it's very easy but not at the same time...alot of real fancy bolts to get at...yuck!

I've done worse, but yowza!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, took me about 5 hours of solid work but got it done. I went to Autozone and bought a special socket wrench with a well just shallow enough to clear the engine frame... that made the difference. I almost couldn't get the stupid pump out through the bottom because of the clearance between the steering rack and the drive axle being so narrow... managed to work it out after 20-30 minutes of struggling with it. I wasn't about to try to fight getting the pulley off to do it, although that would have made it easier. The bottom bolt almost did me in... trick was to unbolt the bottom bracket that mounts the pump to the engine block, then with the pump loose, remove the bottom bolt and separate it from the bracket afterward. ;) Glad I got it done! No more noise. Any ideas what this might have cost at the shop? LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts