The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you first genners who cant seem to find out what causes your tail lights to work on/off all the time:

Before you drive your alty off a cliff in desoperation...check the brake light switches. Most of the time it will probably be these, on mine the contacts of the switch were broken from flexing, and the other contacts were worn down. The switches are AWFUL hard to get to. You have to take the plastic bottom steering wheen panel off, then the heavy metal pan thats under it. Taking the floor mat out will give you a little more room...and you need all of it you can get. You have to lay down on the doorsill and twist your head inside the footwell. There are two swtiches if you have cruise control...one to cut the cruise when the brake is pushed and another for the headlights. First, disconnect the switch connectors and push them away. Then get a wrench...its either a 14 or 16mm and start twisting the switch out. You dont have a good throw with the wrench, and a lot of the time its hard to get it in position it also takes a LONG time to get the switch out. Once you have it out of the thread you have to wiggle it around a bit and it should fall out. Oh and if you have a small AA battery flashlight if you jam it next to somewhere on the fusebox it shines the light almost exactly where you need it. Test the switch with an ohmmeter or a continuity tester. If you push the button back and forth and nothing changes...pop the switch apart -carefully- and see if the contacts are broken. if anything looks corroded or broken replace it...you might be able to get one from Nissan or a junkyard. Nissan switches were not very well designed in the 1st gens and most suffer from corrosion or broken contacts. Hope this helps someone.

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
Good writeup, but I don't get what you mean by "tail lights to work on/off all the time:"

You mean like sometimes they work and sometimes they won't come on for anything?? Maybe it's obvious to someone who has had this prob, but I just don't know what in the samhill you're talkin' about. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, I meant that sometimes they work when you press the pedal, sometimes they dont. i get so technical sometimes that I forget what I just wrote:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts