The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.0 DOHC vs. 2.4 liter KA2.........(our engine, never can think of the whole thing)

which do you guys feel is the superior engine, and i was wondering if there are any "do-able" engine swaps for the altima....sorry if this seems like an elementary question, i used to be "all show, no go", now i'm all "screw the show, GO!!!!" and now that I have some sense i'm curious about some things like that......if nothing else i'll just drop the GT-R motor in, nothing like twin turbo in an alty

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Re: 2.0 DOHC vs. 2.4 liter KA2.........(our engine, never can think of the whole thing)

neoskeeball said:
2.0 DOHC vs. 2.4 liter KA2.........(our engine, never can think of the whole thing)

which do you guys feel is the superior engine, and i was wondering if there are any "do-able" engine swaps for the altima....sorry if this seems like an elementary question, i used to be "all show, no go", now i'm all "screw the show, GO!!!!" and now that I have some sense i'm curious about some things like that......if nothing else i'll just drop the GT-R motor in, nothing like twin turbo in an alty
It's KA24DE...sorry, can't help with the rest. :D

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
184 Posts
Re: 2.0 DOHC vs. 2.4 liter KA2.........(our engine, never can think of the whole thing)

neoskeeball said:

This is my first time saying this......................are you ready?

Do a search!

There are many posts on this topic, no sense in repeating ourselves.

·
DJ QUIK
858 Posts
I assume the 2.0 l doch you are talking about is the sr20de. If you are comparing the two, I would say the superior engine would be the sr20. There are alot more options available for the engine as far as parts go. I am pretty sure it has an aluminum block and head as opposed to the ka24s iron block and aluminum head so the engine is lighter and revs quicker. I think if you were going to go NA the sr20 would be the better choice as far as readily available parts. the iron block on the ka24 can withstand higher boost with the turbo, but the other parts necessary to strengthen the engine would be more expensive, and harder to get your hands on. My advice would be that if you want a fast car, to sell the altima and buy a z28 or an ss. You would save yourself alot of money and trouble that way if speed was the only thing you were after.

·
Registered
243 Posts
you can definately do more with the 2.0 DOHC..but the 2.4 we have is nice and has some good zip to it, when you add an exhaust an intake and a couple of other performance boosters, its really good

·
I don't care
3,361 Posts
no you should get the 1.6, those things get up to 40mpg

seriously, you should not even consider an engine swap if you can't remember your own engine code. I'd atempt to answer your question but I'd first need to know how much $ you have. If you tell us how much money you have to spend we could tell you the best way to make the most hp.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Ben said:
seriously, you should not even consider an engine swap if you can't remember your own engine code
LOL :D :D :D

·
Turbo S13
500 Posts
I have noticed that the KA motor makes more Torque than Sr20 and almost all honda motors in it's class so with a little money and the right parts the KA will kick ass example: altima 1 gen 150hp 167lb/ft. Honda civic 4gen SI 160HP 111 lb/ft. Torque

just look at them numbers I think with a few mods a good driver and a 5spd the altima is going to be a very quick car.

and I know it's a truck motor but it's in a car so that makes it a car motor. if honda was to put there civic motor in a truck would that make it a truck motor.

·
altimas.net OG
1,350 Posts
IanX12 said:
altima 1 gen 150hp 167lb/ft. Honda civic 4gen SI 160HP 111 lb/ft. Torque

its not just about numbers....you see the real reason those honda's are fast....it the stickers....nobody ever suspects the stickers...we need some stickers....

-shek

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
koga said:

its not just about numbers....you see the real reason those honda's are fast....it the stickers....nobody ever suspects the stickers...we need some stickers....

-shek

which gives you more HP? powered by honda stickers or type R stickers?

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
Stock for stock... The KA24DE is better than the SR20DE. But modding both up, the SR20DE is better.

The SR20DE is cast iron like the KA24DE, not aluminum. And the SR20 can withstand higher hp output than the KA24 without destroying itself.

The main problems with the KA is it's vibration, and it's crank is weaker than the SR20.

·
Registered
69 Posts
koga said:

-shek
LOL! :D Stickaz makes da car fasta!

·
ASE certified wiseass
214 Posts
You got to be kidding.

First off, the 4th gen civic can't be compared to the Altima. They are just two totally different cars. Second, you just compared 2.4L and 1.6L, give me a freakin break. Its not even in the same class. Third, how heavy is the Civic? How heavy is you Alty? Fourth, If you want to compare, the Altima is in the same class as the Accord, Camry area, not Civic. Civics compare with Sentras and, unfortunately, Imprenza's (WRX).

On topic, I agree with flamearrow. Read what he said.

Randy

·
Import Tech.
1,903 Posts
flarearrow said:
Stock for stock... The KA24DE is better than the SR20DE. But modding both up, the SR20DE is better.

The SR20DE is cast iron like the KA24DE, not aluminum. And the SR20 can withstand higher hp output than the KA24 without destroying itself.

The main problems with the KA is it's vibration, and it's crank is weaker than the SR20.
Actualy to clear a few things up , the SR20DE is an Aluminum block and head , KA is Iron Block Aluminum head !!!!! also some one else posted the KA24DE can handle more boost than a SR20DE , I dont think so !!! The stock SR20DE can handle around 8 lbs or so as can the KA24DE , but with 8.5:1 pistons 25+ lbs boost is posable and is very doable , in fact stock SR20DET internals can handle up to 25 lbs boost , I think the KA24DE could handle that kind of boost , but as of yet it hasnt been done ...... ( That I have heard of at least ) As for which is best , I would say for all motor use they are about equal , the KA will make more torque , but the SR will make good HP , and is lighter ..... Just in comparing my Altima to my brothers G20 , when he was all motor with H/I/E , my Altima with just intake would blow his doors off , but once he droped in the SR20DET he was gone !!! If you want a turbo setup , the SR20DET is by far the best choice .... like I said the stock SR20DET internals are good for 25 lbs boost , thats around 450 HP !!!!!! And built the sky is the limit ,Also JUN builds a 2.2 stroker kit that would be awesome , and make 30 + Lbs boost doable , I have heard of more than a few 600+ HP SR20DET's !!!!!!! As for swaps , any thin is posable , but nothing is a direct bolt in , the SR20DET and the V6's would take some serious modification and welding to make fit !!!!

·
jdm b16a eg6/MeCCaRyDeR
5,048 Posts
the only reason honda puts no torque into their engines is because honda all are top end...and thats where horsepower matters....

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
MeCCaRyDeR said:
the only reason honda puts no torque into their engines is because honda all are top end...and thats where horsepower matters....
isn't torque more related to displacement? 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 liter engines won't have as much torque as 2.0, 2.4 liter engines...

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
oops, the SR is all alumimnum. I just checked it on FreshAlloy's engine catalog. My bad.

I thought the SR20 was iron because the new QR25 weighs a good amount less than the SR20.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts