The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
obeyforiamroot
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now im considering switching from my two boston acoustic 12's to one nice 12 in a ported box. technically one twelve should only be 3db quiter to the human ear so im assuming not too big of a difference especially if i get a 1000rms sub.

What seems the best sub from these (best bass for the price):
audiobahn alum12q
pioneer premier w2000spl
cerwin vega stroker (bit pricey though)

add your own choice if youd like...

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
Stroker, out of those, and the 3db thing is incorrect. thats assuming the EXACT SAME setup, with each sub receving the same power, then going to the exact same setup with only one sub. whats your budget?

·
obeyforiamroot
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya thats what i meant about the 3db thing, i have about 180 for a sub and box but might come down to building my own

·
Registered
692 Posts
dude, sound quality will be 100x better with 2 subs instead of 1 at equal volumes. going from 2 ba 12's to one 12 would seem like a downgrade to me. one of my coworkers has two BA 15's in his car (a civic) and they hit pretty clean, and loud as a futher mucker.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
there's a lot of people who think a single 12" in a sealed box is perfect for SQ setup. all depends what you're going for.

·
obeyforiamroot
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JiggyFly im not going from two BA to one. Im going from two BA to one much powerful sub. The bostons are about 500 rms, i want this one to be at least a 1000 in a nice ported box. Im just looking for a sub that has power and also nice SQ.

·
Registered
93 Posts
MrJiggyFly said:
dude, sound quality will be 100x better with 2 subs instead of 1 at equal volumes. going from 2 ba 12's to one 12 would seem like a downgrade to me.

Errr... Why do you say that? At the same volume, one 12" should sound better than 2, because there's no chance on cancellation!

Anyways... I would check out maybe an IDMAX 12", or Adire Brahma, or maybe an RE 12". All great subs, all will go loud, all will sound great.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
CvlEngAltima said:
there's a lot of people who think a single 12" in a sealed box is perfect for SQ setup. all depends what you're going for.

*thumbup*

·
obeyforiamroot
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you guys argue about the stupidest things. First of all, YES cancellation does occur just a little more with two subs because there are double the possibilites that some wave will bounce off at a wrong angle and cancel against another one. But seriously, if you have good sub placement there is NO way you can hear cancellation just with your ears. YES IT CAN OCCUR, but not its not likely or audible. I personally think that with one sub you can get very good quality but you feel the bass less considering that there is only one sub contributing to the rise in air pressure. The only reason i decided to go to one 12 is because of space and because i wanna expirement with different ported box designs to see which one hits best. Thanks anyway

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
i dont see how its stupid, i was simply asking how he came to the conclusion that 2 subs = more possible cancellation.

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
1,874 Posts
first off, how much room do you want to take up?
second, how much power do you have to work with?

·
obeyforiamroot
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im thinking about getting a soundstream tarantula T4 dual 1ohm, ill run it at 2ohms and give it a 1000w. Prob going for a 2.5cuft box tuned to 33hz. Hows that sound?

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
1,874 Posts
what size box is your current setup with the 2 12s? What amp on that as well?
Chances are, you are going to loose SQ and maybe "notice" it to be a little louder.
Overall, I don't think it would be worth it.
If you want a single sub with great output, go with a W7, XXX, MT, DD, etc. BTW, most of those require a bit larger than 2.5 cu ft box ported, let alone sealed. That's just something to think about.
I am not sure what you are trying to gain. However, if it is something you want to experience, then by all means go for it. On the other hand, it's not going to gain a lot of SPL or output in general. Now, if you were to get 2 12's in a little larger of a box and port that, then that's a different story... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts