The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i tried searching and finding my questions but theres too much to read. So sorry if i offend. Im gonna just start from the beginning we have a 12 altima had it 2ish years and i hate this car. 5 days after buying it from used car lot the transmission went out had it professionally replaced then the radiator twice has been replaced it drove pretty good up til last spring we started getting p0420 o2 sensor codes ot started running funny like on acceleration around 30mph to 40ish mph it would shake and like bog down but after it cleared that spot it ran fine so ive changed both O2 sensors and it ran good again for about 3-4 weeks then the same thing so we did a tune up did oil change and plugs in june and probably 2 months ago after getting really sluggish no power i took the catalytic converter off and soaked it overnight in dawn dish soap and then let it dry for another day and put it back on and it ran ok again for about 3 weeks and started coding again the p0420 of i remember right im positive ot needs a new converter ive had mass airflow codes and usually cleaning it fixes it. So a heres the current situation a couple days ago the wife went to the store while it was raining like bad thunderstorms and on the way back she hit a puddle of water and the car started running bad bad wouldn't go over 20mph she barely made it back home the cel was flashing that's new so i hooked it up to the computer thing we have and it had 12 codes some were the same but different i figured from the codes being one was about cylinder 2 misfiring that water had gotten ip through the mass airflow assembly area and was fouling the plugs today i learned that the valve cover gasket is bad and there's alot of oil down the plug holes so i took all 4 plugs cleaned them checked gaps put em back in and reset the codes and it ran a smidgen better so i guess my question one of them anyway is could oils and or water be causing this. Now prior to gettin 12 codes we had the p0420 still cause of the cat converter its still there now we have p0302 pending cylinder 2 misfire detected, p0101 mass or volume air flow A circuit range performance, p0113 intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high, p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1, p0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected, now for right now i sont have all 12 cause my wife thought they were all doubled and they kinda are most say pending then another of the same code that says current i will hool it back up tomorrow and get them all on here im hoping maybe someone can maybe get me started in the right direction were old workin people we live paycheck to paycheck so we're fairly limited on funds and to be honest im currently kinda lost and dont know what to do i now know the valve cover gasket has to be fixed asap as does the cat converter any input will be greatly appreciated and if ive left some details out just asl the work weve put into thoa car is greatly overwhelming

· Super Moderator
874 Posts
heres the current situation a couple days ago the wife went to the store while it was raining like bad thunderstorms and on the way back she hit a puddle of water and the car started running bad bad wouldn't go over 20mph she barely made it back home the cel was flashing that's new so i hooked it up to the computer thing we have and it had 12 codes some were the same but different i figured from the codes being one was about cylinder 2 misfiring that water had gotten ip through the mass airflow assembly area and was fouling the plugs today i learned that the valve cover gasket is bad and there's alot of oil down the plug holes so i took all 4 plugs cleaned them checked gaps put em back in and reset the codes and it ran a smidgen better so i guess my question one of them anyway is could oils and or water be causing this. Now prior to gettin 12 codes we had the p0420 still cause of the cat converter its still there now we have p0302 pending cylinder 2 misfire detected, p0101 mass or volume air flow A circuit range performance, p0113 intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high, p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1, p0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
It looks like you're getting multiple unrelated DTCs which are probably due to the car hitting a large water puddle. Several engine harness connectors may be water soaked. First disconnect the battery, then unplug all the engine harness connectors, including the MAF connector. Use a hair drier to dry out the harness pins; also check for any oxidation of the pins.

The presence of a lot of oil in the spark plug tubes indicates defective tube seals. The seals are not individually replaceable, they are integrated into the valve cover; you need to replace the entire valve cover.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yessir i just read today about the tube seals would the wiring harnesses being wet make it run so rough when i started it after taking the plugs out and dryin and cleaning them it was rough it felt like it was idk lol ibhad a old chevy years ago that had a 350 that jumped time and it ran so horrible and had np power like this I did reset the codes and when i started it up thos evening it right put the gate until it warmed some idled at almost 2000 ibdidnt get to drive it yet i will tmrw after checking wiring harnesses do yall know if maybe the catalytic converter could maybe be ao clogged its getting hot and affecting something

· Registered
49 Posts
Does the car have the fender liners still in place?.....

Maybe the fuse block got wet?.....

The front of the fuse box has two sections which can be removed......

If you remove those sections, you can remove the fuse block from the fuse box and inspect it for damage......

If you're under the car......on the driver's side......at the back of the subframe........you'll find a lone electrical connector........if the clip breaks which attaches it to the frame, it will hang down. Maybe the water damaged that connector???? I don't know what the connectors for........ Something worth checking out though.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i ordered new single coil pack should be here Monday o checked the fuse box and wiring harnesses and nothing is any different im hoping that the coil and plugs fixes it does anybody know if all theae codes can be caused by the faulty coil

· Super Moderator
874 Posts
The bad #2 coil will definitely cause the P0302 DTC. However a P0300 DTC is a more general misfire malfunction caused by some of the following:
  • The crankshaft position sensor may be marginal since it's located at the lower back of the engine block which was exposed to the water flooding.
  • Incorrect fuel pressure. Tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the fuel feed hose and the fuel rail. The readings at idle should be 51 psi.
  • There may be a major intake system vacuum leak. To check the intake system for a vacuum leak, attach a vacuum gauge to a full vacuum source. With the engine fully warmed up, the reading at idle should be 18 - 20 InHg. At 3,000 RPM, it should be 21 InHg. If readings are under 18 InHg, check the intake manifold nuts to make sure they are tight. The gasket may have failed; spray a water mist at the gasket to see if the gauge reading changes. Also check the intake plenum bellows at the throttle valve and at the MAF for cracks or loose clamps.

Replace your #2 coil first to get get rid of the P0302 DTC first, then go from there.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok replaced the number 2 coil and reset the codes and ot ran awesome for approximately a day then it coded 9 this time pictures are next and now instead of bogging down it feels like its being flooded but the power is back and it now idles normal instead of the misfiring ot was doing before

· Registered
18 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Intake Air Temperature sensor is built into the Mass Air Flow sensor.

If you're getting codes for mass air and intake temperature, I'd clean the sensor and see if that helps out........because I think the temperature sensor is built into the Mass Air sensor.

· Registered
49 Posts
I missed the part about the P0420 catalytic converter code.

You gotta know why the catalytic converter has failed. Is it broken, is it melted or has it simply lost the ability to clean up the emissions.

P0420 Catalytic Below Threshold Efficiency

An internally broken or melted catalytic converter can definately cause misfires, engine bogging and loss of power.

If I were you, I'd remove the catalytic converter and take it down to a repair shop and ask them to look down inside the top of the catalytic converter with a camera scope to see if it's damaged in any way. If it's damaged I'd hollow it out, reinstall it and then move on from there to deal with any other symptoms. Because I mean, right now you don't know if the catalytic converter is plugged up &affecting the airflow thru the engine.

· Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to pester you I'm the guy with the Altima my phone broke last night and all the codes is this computer thing I'm using will it measure something to tell me the status of the cat, and I've gotten it down to 6 codes and 3 are about misfire trouble but it is running so much better I am fixing to go check out the maf sensor and clean it and see what it does but I noticed this computer has some sections of idk lol it's reading a bunch of stuff I assume a the sensor information

· Registered
9 Posts
Ok we're down to 4 codes0113,0300, 0302, 0101 I don't understand why there is still misfire codes cause it's running so much better I cleaned the maf sensor again and I may go get a new one I'm gonna put some pictures of some of the data stream things I saw

· Registered
49 Posts
It's easy to feel when en engine is consistently misfiring on one or more cylinders because there will be a bad vibration as the engine is running. Like, for example, let's say the engine is idling at 700rpm and one cylinder is misfiring once during every revolution of the engine. That's 700 misfires every 700rpm's. You can feel this vibration.

Random misfire (on the other hand) is more difficult to feel because the misfire happens at random times on random cylinders. For example, let's say the engine is idling at 700rpm and one random Cylinder misfires once every time the engine spins 5,000 RPM's. You're not gonna notice this one misfire but the car computer will and the way it does this is by using the B1S1 a/f ratio sensor data to calculate fuel trim adjustments.

You state the catalytic converter P0420 code did not come back. After looking at your pictures, I think the code will come back because the catalytic converter voltage (in your pic) is high at 0.790v. If the catalytic converter voltage is changing slowly around 0.455v or higher, the code will come back.

The catalytic converter voltage should fluctuate rapidly between 0.000v and 1.000v

Zero volt is better than 1volt on the B1S2 sensor because zero bolts means there is no unburned oxygen coming out of the engine.

A voltage reading near 1.000v (or similar to the voltage of the B1S1 sensor means the catalytic converter has failed.
Mobile phone Telephone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device

· Registered
49 Posts
If you cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor and the situation improved, I would definately buy a new one and completely replace it. You can clean most MAF sensors and have them work properly again however, with these Nissan sensors it's not possible when the sensor is damaged due to water intrusion.

The way intake air temperature sensors work is (basically) the sensor is heated to a predetermined temperature level. Another air temperature sensor called Ambient Air Temperature sensor is outside the car measuring that air temp. The incoming air is cooler than the heated intake air temperature sensor. The computer calculates the temperature differences and interprets the air intake temperature. Boreing stuff really.

So here's the thing.......if the heated temperature element in the Nissan Mass Air Flow sensor is 130°F and ambient air temperature is 50°F, and a splash of 50°F puddle water contacts the heated element, the element will become damaged beyond repair.

Cleaning the MAF sensor may have improved engine performance since the cleaning would have removed water/debris from the MAF sensor itself, but not restore the temperature sensor performance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts