The Nissan Club banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is your take on the misfire codes still on would the maf sensor cause them to code again I just now got to drive it and although it is so so so much better it does have a very small vibration on acceleration but it's basically still better than we have seen it and I see what you're saying about the sensor i will order one tomorrow by rights that would cause a misfire code too don't you think

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's easy to feel when en engine is consistently misfiring on one or more cylinders because there will be a bad vibration as the engine is running. Like, for example, let's say the engine is idling at 700rpm and one cylinder is misfiring once during every revolution of the engine. That's 700 misfires every 700rpm's. You can feel this vibration.

Random misfire (on the other hand) is more difficult to feel because the misfire happens at random times on random cylinders. For example, let's say the engine is idling at 700rpm and one random Cylinder misfires once every time the engine spins 5,000 RPM's. You're not gonna notice this one misfire but the car computer will and the way it does this is by using the B1S1 a/f ratio sensor data to calculate fuel trim adjustments.

You state the catalytic converter P0420 code did not come back. After looking at your pictures, I think the code will come back because the catalytic converter voltage (in your pic) is high at 0.790v. If the catalytic converter voltage is changing slowly around 0.455v or higher, the code will come back.

The catalytic converter voltage should fluctuate rapidly between 0.000v and 1.000v

Zero volt is better than 1volt on the B1S2 sensor because zero bolts means there is no unburned oxygen coming out of the engine.

A voltage reading near 1.000v (or similar to the voltage of the B1S1 sensor means the catalytic converter has failed. View attachment 104094
SO should I replace the cat then too if I understand what your trying to tell me replacement of catalytic converter and maf sensor should by rights make it run tip top. Which one the cat or sensor is causing the random misfire

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this morning I went for a drive and noticed that the car is running a hair rough compared to yesterday but when I got home I hooked up the computer thing and there is only 1 code now and it was p0113 code the maf sensor should be here tomorrow I'm hoping that fixes it pretty good

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't replace the cat without having a look inside it.......if it looks damaged inside, then yes replace it. If it's not physically damaged, keep it as is.

Yes, I believe the MAF should be replaced if you're getting codes related to intake air temperature and air flow........you can clean the MAF to eliminate the MAF code, but you can't clean the MAF to fix a the bad temperature sensor.

The thing about the air intake temperature is that it needs to be measured as accurately as possible because the computer uses that information (among other perimeters) to contribute to fuel trim adjustments in an effort to optimize air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds good thank you by the way for all your help it really is appreciated. In July when I took the cat off and cleaned it up I soaked it overnight in dawn dishsoapy water I remember looking in the hole and the honeycomb stuff did not look damaged or have any signs of distress that I saw and the water after the soak was barely dirty so I'm thinking maybe all along it wasn't so much the cat and maybe a mixture of other things

·
Registered
48 Posts
I remember looking in the hole and the honeycomb stuff did not look damaged
For future reference, the portion of the honeycomb inside the catalytic converter you looked at is the wrong side to be looking at for damage assessment. It's the opposite end (nearest the engine) which takes the brunt of heat damage......this is why I mentioned taking it to a shop (where they will have a camera probe to look inside the small curved tubes on the opposite end).

In any case, with this one P0113 code remaining, I hope no other codes pop up, you get the car cleaned, detailed and sell it ASAP. ..........Before transmission CVT codes rear their ugly heads. 😆

·
Registered
9 Posts
I definitely agree with you on selling it but the transmission is only a year and half old and still under warranty with 180000 miles given what you know about the car what kinda asking price would you put on it

21 - 27 of 27 Posts