The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· zoom zoom
2,742 Posts
The 2.5 is tuned for 87, 89 is a waste of money and 91 or higher you should only need if you have lots of bolt ons and have had the car tuned for 91 or higher to get the most out of the tune. Also the stillen qr-pro requires the use of 91 octane. But just I/H/E 87 octane is just fine.

· New Registered User
22 Posts
87 octane. the others are a waste of money.

· Registered
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
2,527 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Would you loose performance by using higher octane on a 2.5 without the qr-pro???

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

:wall: nismo recommends 89 octane after cams installed

from experience: tank of 87, no noticeable power; tank of 89, power is definitely present.
ive got no performance mods, just a short shirter and a berk WAI. all my mods are sound system related. im guessin i should just stick to the 87. i filled 89 and i thought i was noticing more power but maybe i was just imagining it

· Registered
111 Posts
89 octane here, all stock tho. 10% Ethanol is a lot cheaper in a corn state :woot:, I save 10-15 cents per gallon this way, plus I live about 5 minutes from my work which I do full time for 3 days a week :), I fill up about once a month :shift:

· Registered
126 Posts
It doesn't matter. The higher octane you use, the cleaner it burns thus resulting in better combustion aka minor power gains. Using a higher octane also keeps a lot of the sensors cleaner as well as the cat.

Just dont go pouring C-16 into your tank. Bad things happen to dumb people when that occurs.

· LOL AWD
4,057 Posts
Actually the manual IIRC states 87 at the least, it doesn't say you should get 87 exactly. 89 is still not a waste of money since it's cheaper than 87. Premium is the only gas grade that's a waste.

· zoom zoom
2,742 Posts
Octane rating has no direct impact on the burn of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. Other properties of gasoline and engine design account for the manner at which the burn takes place. In other words, the flame speed of a normally ignited mixture is not directly connected to octane rating. Higher octane just reduces the risk of detonation in a high comp or forced induction engine. Higher octane fuels burn less quickly and require more energy to activate or burn. So 87 is just fine and 89 or higher is a waste without tuning the engine to run on 91 or higher. Certain cars seem to lack power when you put 87 instead of 91 in them since the ecu compensates and retards timing to reduce detonation. Also since when is 89 cheaper than 87?

· LOL AWD
4,057 Posts
89 has always been cheaper than 87 here in the Midwest. Nebraska, Iowa, the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin at least. They all use 10% ethanol with 89, whereas 87 has no ethanol. Any gas that is not premium is fine, just let the price be the deciding factor.

· zoom zoom
2,742 Posts
Here in the northwest 89 is almost always 10 cents more per gallon and I thought ethanol added to gasoline lowers gas mileage, like the e85 compatible cars get less miles per gallon for cheaper fuel so it sounds break even. So in other words 2.5 owners just use 87 or whatever octane is cheaper since anything above 87 doesn't do add power, burn cleaner or anything different unless you advance your timing. I'm a previous honda owner and shit you can put piss in the gas tank and those things still run.

· LOL AWD
4,057 Posts
Corn is plentiful here in the midwest ;)
Go to lincolngasprices.com and see for yourself, 89 is around 10c cheaper than 87.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts