The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wanted to drop a line and say what I have learned modding my exaust.
started off just removing stock resonator and adding 2.25 inch pipe in its place. sounded nice, a lot deeper than stock sound. the only problem with this is the stock muffler doesnt like it - you know the valve in the muffler that closes one of the outlets when idling and to increase back pressure? well, when the car is first started and cold it rattles. when you first start going and pull out onto the road it sounds like major rice. once it warms up its sounds good, but this is very annoying and gets old fast.

after that I did a full catback, replacing the rest of the piping with 2.25 pipe and got a used Tsudo Predator muffler. wow, it is amazingly loud and annoying. sounds deep and nice, but EXTREMELY loud when decelerating and even when just crusing on the highway. I had this setup for about 5 months or so, untill it was time for inspection.

I live in Mass, and they are anal here. no way would it pass like that, so I took it back to the shop and had more work done on it. first, I got a nice muffler off of Ebay for $70 shipped, has square dual 3" tips which look much nice on the car, almost stock looking. (but much nicer!!) it fits the car better than a 4" potato shooter. this was definatley quieter than before, but still was loud upon deceleration. took it back next day and had a free flowing resonator put in, very nice! sound is nice and low when idling and crusing, and sounds deep and rich when accelerating, just what I wanted. still a little loud upon deceleration, but not bad.

took it to a shop to get inspected, a place that a year ago inspected my friends civic SI with a full exaust and a 4" muff. much louder than my car now, although mine is a bit lower. didnt pass. apparently, they have gotten strict here and now I have to go around to 5 other places and hope someone will pass me. its not that loud and looks almost stock, so hopefully someone will pass me. =)

Costs:
remove stock resonator and replace it with a pipe: I did it myself, it was only $15 for a pipe and to add a flare. but be warned the valve will vibrate in the muffler when cold and it sounds ricey.
Performance gain: very noticeable, nice sound!

catback with tsudo muffler:
got the muffler used for $40, catback 2.25 piping was $100, got an insider deal!
Performance gain: if anything I think it lost some low end torke, but gained some above 2600 or so rpm.

dual tipped muff and resonator:
if your going to do exaust work, go all the way and dont be cheap like I was. get a nice muffler and definately get a resonator otherwise it will get old quick. muffler was $70 shipped on ebay and paid $60 to install it. resonator as well as installation was another $60. ($60 total for res and install).

my final cost, minus the first muffler, was $290. was it worth it? well its a pain to get inspected now (if I can even do it) and performance gains are minimal. the muff looks nice, but could attract cops, although even with the 3.5" tip I didnt get pulled over. so im not sure, if you have $300+ to waste, why not? :cool:

·
Lost my Alty, miss it...
378 Posts
Nice wrote up, thanks. Our stock exhaust is pretty good (of course except the header part!), mod should go for better sound and look.

·
Ahhh the power of Cheese
380 Posts
im hopin ill pass when i have to get my car inspected next year im rolling with only 1cat so ill see. Most cars usually have one..well the older cars..so im hopin i do pass. If not ima get another cat an put it behind the resonator.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
AlphaFox said:
thanx. just trying to make someones life easier. I was able to pass inspection at this other place no problem. ya!!
SWEET, thanks for that info, very useful, I have been debating on what to do with an exhaust setup and I was going to do what you originally did with the stock muffler, now I dont have to mess with it since you already did :D

What kind of resonator are you using, I am thinking of using a Magnflow Resonator and Magnaflow Muffler.

Thanks
Nick

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
can you put up a pic or tell me how you took off your resonator? where did you get your pipe. i havent ever looked at my resonator. thanks

·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how I took off the stock resonator? just cut it off and bought a peice of 2.25 inch pipe at a muffler place. just about a 4 foot section I think, regular pipe. you do need to flare one end of it so it will fit over the existing peice of pipe and add a slight bend to make it fit with the back peice of pipe. you see, the stock resonators intake pipe is lower than the output pipe: goes in at the bottom of the can, comes out at the top. so you need to have the peice of pipe bend to accout for this. actually, my uncle did most of the work. we had to weld the front of the pipe on. it may be wise to have a muff shop do it unless you know how to weld. =)
dont forget that the valve in the muffler will rattle when cold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info. By the by, where did you get the aluminum dash kit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
AlphaFox -- per the dash kit, sorry, but I'm a new Altima owner and don't know who Scott is or what or if he represents a company. I saw your pic of the kit and it looked great. I have an '03 so I already have the "titanium" accents in some areas. Do you thing the aluminum would complement what I have or would it look too weird??

·
Ahhh the power of Cheese
380 Posts
AlphaFox said:
how do you have any cats if you have the stillen header? did you add an aftermarket one?

Yes i have a Random Tech Hi-flow cat. Check out my registry it has a pic of it. I was sick of the CEL light so i decided to decimate my nice lookin racepipe n stick the resonator in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts