The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to midas today to get custom piping and the dude said it wont do much cuz my alti has two catillic converters and the flow is going to be held up anyways. is this true? i have a 94. also, does this mean that if i get a header (preferably stillen) then it is going to replace one of the catillics and then i wont be legal anymore?

·
Die Trying
2,554 Posts
nizmotec said:
i went to midas today to get custom piping and the dude said it wont do much cuz my alti has two catillic converters and the flow is going to be held up anyways. is this true? i have a 94. also, does this mean that if i get a header (preferably stillen) then it is going to replace one of the catillics and then i wont be legal anymore?
here's the deal. The 93-94 has 1 cat convertor after the down pipe under the car. The 95+ models have another in the exhaust manifold itself. If and when you get a header, the header would replace it. But you have a 94 anyway so it really matter.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If you have a pre-cat (just behind the radiator) and aonther one underneath the car, then you could simple remove both and put in a high flow cat under the car, that will get your car to pass emissions and not increase back pressure.

Just check to make sure you only have the one cat up in the engine bay. I'm not positive but if it looks like you have two, it may be that the one underneath is just a resonator.

To see if you have a resonator: when the exhaust is has been taken off, try to push the end of a broomstick through it. if it goes through, just a resonator. if not, it's a cat.

·
Import Tech.
1,903 Posts
Some '94's have the cat in the manifold also .... but the advantage is if you put a header on , you wont have any engine light problems like a 96 up would have ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, thanks for all your help you guys. im just getting started on my car, ive had it for three years now and havent really had the money to touch it. im thinking i would like to work on the performance first then the looks. i actually bought a full body kit from stillen and want to sell it to by performance parts. but i still want to keep my alti legal. but what i got from your replies is that i can replace both of the cats with one high flow cat and that will pass emissions? if thats the case then it seems really simple. replace the header, replace the cats with one high flow cat, and widden the piping. but why would there be two cats in the first place?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess the alti just produces hella pollution. and this is something not to mess with so i guess i'll do a little more research before i mess with it.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
no, nisssan wants to rape you when they need to be repaired!

actually the pre-cat works while the car is still warming up. the other cat, once it reaches operating temp, will take over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh cool, alright, then i dont really need the precat since i can just warm up the car before i take the test. alright, thanks drew for your help. i know what i need to do now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts