The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
How do I get all the oil out when I change my oil?

I tried lifting the car, and putting it on jack stands (just the front) to make the oil fall back and out(in theory anyway), and I've tried just dumping in a quart after the oil stops flowing to push whatever's left in there out and at least be replaced with fresh oil.

I still only end up having to use between 3 and 1/4 to maybe 3.5 quarts with the oil filter changed as well.

This is incredibly frustrating as you can tell that theres still gunk in there when u check the dipstick after the oils 'changed'. It is never light but always dark as if its been in there for at least a month or so.

Please help.

2nd question, someone mentioned that if I use seafoam it will remove the gunk but it will probably eat away at my gasket or something to that effect and that I would end up having to put in a whole new oil pan so it wasn't worth it..

Is it that powerful and is Seafoam intended to be put in the oil (I always thought that it is for feul only).

Thanks much.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
I recommend you remove your oil pan...and thoroughly clean it out...we don't have gaskets for our oil pan. It uses high temperature RTV silicone sealant. Never use a screwdriver or anything to pry down the oil pan...you will damage the pan and possibly the fragile alluminum block. Use a heat gun to loosen up the sealant...then it should come down using your hands. Also if it is still gunky I recommend you remove your valve cover and check out the gunk build up under it...that is also a good time to paint your valve cover any color you want it. I chose flat black...for my High volume oil pump I chose Alluminum...looks great. Don't use sea foam. If you don't feel comfortable doing this work since it seems to me you don't kow much about cars I suggest you bring your car to a Nissan dealership that runs BG services...they can clean your whole fuel system, engine, and exhaust system...from carbon buildup, oil buildups, and other shit in it. It will costs you at least 600 dollars to do those three services but I guarantee you your car will feel better than the day you bought it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Decoy.

U r right, I don't know that much about cars, (just enough to be really dangerous and mess things up royally).

Any idea on help getting all the oil out when I change my oil though?

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
how long do you let it drip for? if you let it sit for a few hours you will be suprised how much can "drip" out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
3 1/2 qts is a normal fil for an Altima

If you are using a good oil such as Mobil 1, it is going to get dark really fast since the dispersants are designed to collect dirt and debris.

Have a shop put a gage inplace of the sending unit and see if the oil pressure is within spec. If too low, definitely drop the oil pan and clean

·
Registered
109 Posts
My car (1994 Altima SE, 5 speed) has 132K miles and I have done all the oil changes from day one. Previously, I was used to a 1991 Subaru Legacy (totalled) which never had to be lifted as the filter was mounted in front of the engine. However, when I got the Altima, I had to drive it up ramps to drain the oil and I was also worried about draining it completely due to the angle. What I did, was drain the oil (yes, it takes a while for all the oil to drain, the quicky places cannot do a good job at this as they do not have the time). I will start the oil draining and go do other stuff and come back in an hour to check whether it is still dripping at any appreciable rate. However, for the first time, after I had let the oil drain, I installed a new filter (saturated element with oil prior to installing it) and loosely put the drain plug back. Then my wife helped me roll the car down the ramps (no starting , but just pushing and rolling down) so that the car was level again. Then I unscrewed the drain plug and thought that more oil would come out, but none did, other than an occasional drop. So I was satisfied that the ramp method of changing oil was effective. The key is to ensure the engine is hot, undo the filler cap, pop the dip stick loose a bit and have patience - all the oil will come out. For refilling, I use 4 quarts every single time (this includes what I add to the filter prior to installing it), and the dip stick reads the same. Have had no issues so far. Just a general comment, I use jack stands (sometimes will use more than one on each side) for under car mechanical work if I have to, but for oil changes which are more routine, I recommend using ramps - I find these a bit safer.
Regards,
aba4430

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thanks guys. I will let it drip for at least an hour and see if that makes a difference.

To abba4430, did I understand you correctly, u say that you fill the oil filter with oil and then install it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, I do. Add a little bit, then roll it around in your hands as you tilt it to a complete horizontal position. It will soak into the element. Add little more, do the same. You can get an appreciable quantity in this way. You do not want to see too much oil when you hold the filter vertically, or it will spill out when you are installing it. A little bit is OK, however.
Regards,
aba4430

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kool, I'll try that.

By the way, do u guys recommend keeping the front end on the jack stands while I wait for all the old oil to get out or is bringing it down and making it level again better (or it doesn't really matter either way) ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts