The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change out the thermostat gauge, because mine doesn't work properly. Need to either hit the gauge or tap for it it to read & that nolong works...

Anyway my question is if i replace the whole gauge cluster with a new(well used one) off another 2001 Altima, will the odometer from the used one read the mileage off the used car cluster or will my mileage from my car show up if i install it?

I've also got another thermostat gauge by it self to replace my broken one, but was wondering if just replacing the whole cluster would work? Since it be easier to just pop that one in instead of having to open the whole cluster housing up just to replace the one gauge? Plus it was a pain in the ass just getting the one i got the thermostat gauge open for me....

Thanks for any assistance & help...

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,182 Posts
Pretty sure you'll get the mileage on the donor unit, not yours.

The fact that you can 'fix it' by thumping it (a tecnique which predates the Microsoft 3-finger salute and harks back to the days when TV's had multiple tubes in them...) means you probably just have a bad solder joint which you might easily be able to touch up....and make your cluster good as new.

If you don't plan to sell the car again...who cares what the mileage is. Of course, if you do, it's a criminal act to swap odometer readings...

My OCD would probably have me in there replacing just the temp gauge...but that's me.

First go around, just try retouching all the solder pin points on the gauge connectors and meter pins with a low wattage iron...just enough to reflow the solder, no more. Be careful if you are touching up joints on a flexible mylar film...doesn't take too much extra heat to delaminate the copper trace from the plastic and that's a fine mess... Plug it back in (don't re-install) and see if the temp gauge is any more reliable....then decide next steps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't plan to sell the car again...who cares what the mileage is. Of course, if you do, it's a criminal act to swap odometer readings...
Yeah thats why i asked, thanks? I thought since it was digital it would be stored in the cars ecu but i guess thats wrong...

i guess I'll try popping it out and seeing how the soldering is and seeing if that helps. At least I'll be able to get this fixed & off my ever growing list of problems my car has started to develop 😪

Thanks again.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,182 Posts
Have a look at pages EL-99 onwards...definitely infers that odometer is stored in the unified meter assy. You might find the diagrams and connector pinouts around EL-106 of use too :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts