The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 altima gxe, five speed standard xmission. after driving and depressing the clutch the idle remains at 1500 rpm for about 3-5 seconds before returning to 600. other times, especially when coming off the interstate the idle, after depressing the clutch, will fluctuate between 1500 and 1800 for about 30 seconds (or more), and sometimes just sit on 1800 for that time before coming back to 600 (normal). i brought the car in a number of times (under warranty (& is still under warranty)) now and no nissan mechanic has solved the problem. any suggestions or contributions out there?

·
See ya on the flipside...
394 Posts
clarence j kooyman said:
i have a 2001 altima gxe, five speed standard xmission. after driving and depressing the clutch the idle remains at 1500 rpm for about 3-5 seconds before returning to 600. other times, especially when coming off the interstate the idle, after depressing the clutch, will fluctuate between 1500 and 1800 for about 30 seconds (or more), and sometimes just sit on 1800 for that time before coming back to 600 (normal). i brought the car in a number of times (under warranty (& is still under warranty)) now and no nissan mechanic has solved the problem. any suggestions or contributions out there?

Mine does the same thing. I found out it's normal, for emission crap. Just think of it as throttle hang and you will have better repsonse if the light turns green and the rpms are still up there......hehe. Anyways, I got this information from a local Nissan machanic I deal with. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have had the car in to two separate dealers and have had contact with the nissan hot line for testy customers. nissan hot line and kayser nissan in madison agree that the high idle is a real problem & not one of an 'emissions remover'. budweiser, the beloit, wi, dealer, offered the 'emissions remover' theory after i brought the car in to them & got a work order to show the results of their work. i asked for some documentation reflecting the emissions remover theory, but they have not provided that information.

·
See ya on the flipside...
394 Posts
oh, I don't know then..........I just know that since it stays up there and it's up there when I'm ready to go, it responses faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 GXE has the same problem, a visit to two dealers had the same results as you mention. One of them actually lowered the idle to about 600 rpm and that reduced the lag time. I find it very annoying and will result in the early trade in of the vehicle.

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
clarence j kooyman said:
Do you happen to have a GXE-LE?

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the idle air control valve. It's what sets the idle, but it is also what is supposed to lower the rpms gradually in a drop throttle situation to prevent the car from stalling. Late model carburetors had a solenoid or vacuum device to do the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts